MAN TAKES HOSTAGES IN FLORIDA GUN STORE

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
MAN TAKES HOSTAGES IN FLORIDA GUN STORE

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OFPEPO0&show_article=1

TAMPA,Fla. (AP) - A gunman facing attempted murder charges barricaded himself inside an indoor shooting range with a group of hostages and held them for 10 hours before killing himself early Friday, authorities said. None of the hostages was hurt.

Jeffrey Lane Dudney, 43, of Tampa, went to the shooting range Thursday afternoon intending to steal a firearm and flee the area, Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee said.

When someone confronted him, Dudney took five people hostage, including the woman who owned the Shooting Sports Inc. gun store and range, Gee said.

"Every two or three minutes, he was threatening to start shooting people one by one," Gee said. "He was very agitated, very amped up."

During the standoff, Dudney could be seen holding a pistol to the head of hostages. He said he didn't want to go to prison, Gee said. Dudney released two hostages during the negotiations, but because of the number of guns and amount of ammunition inside, police didn't want to storm the building, authorities said.

Around 3 a.m., Dudney killed himself with a gunshot blast to the upper body, authorities said.

"He told us earlier he was contemplating suicide," Gee said.

Dudney had been released from the Hillsborough County jail Saturday on $150,500 bond while facing three counts of attempted murder, according to jail records. He had been accused of firing a gun at witnesses who followed him after he was involved in a crash, Gee said.

During the standoff, police asked media outlets to refrain from reporting any information about the situation for fear of further upsetting the gunman. The Associated Press and some others accommodated the request while the hostages were being held; others reported it on Web sites.
--------------------------------------

No one there was armed to stop this?

I can't imagine this lasting very long on any of the firing ranges/ gun stores I've been too.

IIRC: Proper etiquette is to allow the store owner the first shot into the attacking goblin, then you may follow up.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Probably a public range full of "part-time" shooters. No offense to any part timers here.

Tho a little offence wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm glad nobody (but the perp, and skrew him!) was hurt, but that was HIS doing, not theirs.

Scary thing putting your life in the hands of a violent madman. Could have been stopped VERY quickly if somebody was willing and able to act.

Somthing to think about if such a label applies.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Dudney had been released from the Hillsborough County jail Saturday on $150,500 bond while facing three counts of attempted murder

How the hell do you get bail for THREE counts of attempted murder? [frown]

FL is a "stand your ground" state.

I can't believe that this guy wasn't killed in the first second of the encounter.

Back
Top Bottom