• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manchester Officer Shoots And Kills Charging Dog

hc-manchester-dog-shot-0418-20130417-001.jpg
Police officers wrap a dead dog in plastic bags Wednesday on Alexander Street. The dog leaped through a second floor window in the house on the corner. A responding officer shot and killed the pit bull when it charged him, police said. (Jesse Leavenworth/The Hartford Courant / April 17, 2013)

---
By JESSE LEAVENWORTH
The Hartford Courant
5:58 PM EDT, April 17, 2013
MANCHESTER

A police officer shot and killed a dog that charged at him Wednesday afternoon, police said.
Police were called to Alexander Street on a complaint that a dog was loose. The pit bull had leaped through the screen in a second-floor window of a home at Alexander and St. John streets, police Sgt. Marc Hughes said. The owner was not home, Hughes said.

The officer was waiting for other officers to bring him dog treats and a snare so he could lure and capture the animal, Hughes said. But the dog charged at the officer, who shot and killed it with his service weapon, Hughes said.

Witnesses said the dog had been aggressive, according to Hughes.
The animal's body was brought to an area veterinarian. Police continued to investigate the incident on Wednesday.

Copyright © 2013, The Hartford Courant

Don't like when this happens, but Dog had broken out of house. If witnesses aren't being intimidated, and the officer and them are telling the truth, I can't say I disagree with his actions.

If a loose dog, was charging at me, in a threatening manner, I would think I should be able to defend myself.

Had a German Shepherd and he went after a squirrel once, off of what was essentially a 2nd floor deck (1st floor deck above a full basement with a ground level slab)
He hit the ground running, scrambled over the 4 ft fence, and climbed about 4 ft up the tree!

Seems legit.

Jumped out of a second floor window?? WTH?? [shocked]

My buddy had a boxer that did that once, just ran around his apartment freaking out and jumped through the glass.
After we rounded up the dog, he discovered a vicious steamer in the middle of his bed. Apparently the dog knew he
did bad and wanted to escape punishment. I've never met a boxer I'd consider smart. Nice, hyper dogs. Dumb as shit.

I had a friend in school who had adopted a German Shepard, he was a beast 100+ lbs and sweet as all. One day she got a call at work from police. A man tried to break into her house (witnesses later testified) but heard the dog and made a run for it. Dog went through a window, over fence and chased down burglar. Police arrived with dog holding would be thief in center of road - not too much damage. Turns out dog had been a reject from law enforcement training. I called him dog because that was his name :) no charges were filed against her.

ghostbusters+demon+dog.jpg

I had a friend in school who had adopted a German Shepard, he was a beast 100+ lbs and sweet as all. One day she got a call at work from police. A man tried to break into her house (witnesses later testified) but heard the dog and made a run for it. Dog went through a window, over fence and chased down burglar. Police arrived with dog holding would be thief in center of road - not too much damage. Turns out dog had been a reject from law enforcement training. I called him dog because that was his name :) no charges were filed against her.

That's a happy ending. [smile]
One thing for sure, never run, prob the worst thing you can do. Had Dobies and Shepherds, and their instinct is basically "if it runs, take it down".

Back
Top Bottom