• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mansfield (MA) F&G Protective Assn

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm shocked that C-pher never posted a thread about this club, so the "newbie" here will do so. I inaugurated my membership (just joined this month) at Mansfield after doing some work today.

Check out website for some info and nice pictures
http://www.mansfieldfish.com/

Currently only have outdoor ranges: 50 yd and 100 yd facilities and a clubhouse. Indoor range construction is in the works and is anticipated to be complete within 2 years.

Nice group of people, ~300 members total, of which ~50 are spouses (very cheap to add your spouse as a member with full rights).

Basic rules (posted on website) are do what you like but be safe and enjoy yourself. You can set the targets out at almost any distance on the 50 yard range, great for defensive tactics practice.

Had a fun time there this afternoon and met some nice folks including one from ARfcom that I'm trying to convince to join us here.

Wow, I thought that there was already a thread here on Mansfield. I guess there wasn't.

Yes, good club. Nice people, and everything Len said.

Big Cowboy and Black Powder group. As well as some Action Pistol shooting, that should start back up sometime soon.

The action pistol shooters took their action to Independent over a year ago. It remains to be seen whether Mansfield will resurrect the program it lost.

I hope it does - there isn't much room for ACTION pistol at Independent!

Per the discussions at the Members Meetings, they are talking aobut getting it back up and running shortly.

I don't have dates, as it's nothing that I've done. But, Ted said that he's got someone to run it, and they are coming back this year.

Stopped by to check out a few guns yesterday afternoon and had the place to myself! Nice and peaceful, great weather to be out shooting.

The S&W 622 that belongs to my Wife had the Ultra-Dot remounted with longer screws. Regrettably it didn't hold (frame is aluminum) and shook loose again. Next opportunity to visit Four Seasons we'll address the problem.

Next I had bought some Pro-Mag CZ-75 Compact mags for my Sphinx upon advice of the good folks on the CZforum.com. Sphinx factory claimed CZ mags won't work . . . the wisdom of other Sphinx owners proved him wrong. They worked just fine!

I've been a member at Mansfield for over 20 years. It's a great bunch of people. I am retired, so I tend to go weekdays and let working people use the ranges on weekends, but even Saturdays and Sundays can be quiet there if there isn't an event.

The food at club meetings is good, and a real value. The atmosphere is great, and there are some interesting people there. They have been getting more politically active the pst few years, having candidates nights and speakers from GOAL, ect, giving good information.

We like seeing more women join the club. Women shooters are the future of our rights in Massachusetts. They are treated with respect, and help is never far away. I'll admit there are still a few old timers who find it hard to believe it when a small woman pulls out a .357 Magnum and puts all her shots center mass!!! I love to see the look on their faces when they realize these women shoot better than they do.

Hey, Northeast Shooters, next time you go there, in the comments section of the sign in log, why not write NES, in case other people like me are there and we can get to know each other in real time instead of just here on line. I'm the guy that looks a lot like Ted, but I'm more handsome and have more hair!!! LOL....see you on the range!

depicts said:
Hey, Northeast Shooters, next time you go there, in the comments section of the sign in log, why not write NES, in case other people like me are there and we can get to know each other in real time instead of just here on line. I'm the guy that looks a lot like Ted, but I'm more handsome and have more hair!!! LOL....see you on the range!

Good idea.

Sorry to hear that you look like Ted! [laugh2] [Sorry Ted - I know that he lurks here. [wink] ]

I was there today. I have been quite a few times, helping Ted with BFSC. It is a nice place.

Bye the way, I look nothing like Ted. [smile]

Last edited:
What the heck is hanging in the window (under hat)?

None of those in the picture are Ted. His pictures are on the Mansfield F&G website, IIRC.

Typeo, that's why I stayed away from there today. I knew the 50 yard range would be busy. It was a nice day for it though.

You know, the more time you spend with Ted the more you will start to look like him!!

Bill D

edited to spell Typeo with an E

Last edited:
HMMmm all these fellow mansfield members and Cpher is the only one I know I've met for sure.

Stoney (who never forgets a face, but rarely puts the correct name with it) Pete.

Stoneypete,

Makes two of us. I know there are others from MF&G here but I can't connect usernames with real people. Besides that I am terrible at remembering names.

The guy who does my FFL transfers is a member of Mansfield.
He took me on a little tour of the place one evening last week.
When we walked over to the 50 yard range, at about 35 yards out, next to the berm separating it from the 100 yd range, stood what I first thought was a 3D archery target.

It was a good sized doe. She stood there motionless for the longest time, then finally bounded off to the top of the backstop berm.
Then she just stood on top of the berm watching us until we walked away.

Deer have been known to walk the 100 yard berm while people are shooting. Talk about giving a shooter no respect.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Deer have been known to walk the 100 yard berm while people are shooting. Talk about giving a shooter no respect.

LOL, [rofl]

Anyway, after taking a look around and listening to what you guys had to say about the club, I decided to join.
I'll be there Wednesday night for the first step. I downloaded the application from their website, filled it out, got a sponsor to sign it, I'm ready to go.

The club I belong to now is a great club, very active, and a lot of fun, but it's a predominately blued steel and walnut crowd.
They tolerate my AKs and ARs, but I just finished building a M1919, I don't think it would receive a very warm welcome.

I'm also very interested in the cowboy action shoots. I'm a SASS member, but the only CAS I've ever seen were on TV. LOL

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys that are members there.

Welcome in advance. I should be there Wed night. Please introduce yourself to me. Thanks.
Len

Len,
I would like very much to meet you.
How do I identify you?

Maybe it would be easier if you look for me.
I'll be easy to spot, Just look for the new guy. LOL

I'll be speaking about the "Art of Concealed Carry" class as well as a membership issue. I won't be "the quiet one in the room", that's for sure. [wink]

Len, Pete and 7.62,

Well it is time for dues, so I'll be there Wednesday night as well. I don't always stay long, as I have this thing about crowds. Like most of you, I can't connect handles to real names. I see some people on the sign in sheet a lot. Just met JKelly when I went to watch my Buddy shoot his Mosin's. He asked if I was new and I said, no, I've been in the club 20 years! We both laughed.

I've met Typeo at Ted's shop and we've talked about this forum. I've probably met C-fer too. I get the impression he's around a lot, but I don't know his name. I like his new bike though.

I'm looking forward to taking that concealed handgun course. I have to get my Goal dues current with Nancy Snow tomorrow. So len I'll introduce myself when I'm there. I sign the membership log as member #3 if it helps any of you find me.

Bill D

7.62x39 look for me the following Wed...and I'm sure that if you meet Len, he'll point you out to me.

I'd be happy to talk to you about the Cowboy shoots. I haven't got to do a lot this year with all I have going on, but I'm planing on being at the Sept 16th shoot.

Anyway, it would be good to meet you. And CRAP! I forgot it was Dues time.

I need to round up a 100 bucks. LOL!

Sometimes Chris even though I hate being called Chris. LOL!

If you call him that he'll look like this.
Squirley.jpg

Depicts, we'd love to have you join us in CAS. Our next cas shoot is Sept. 16th.

I'll be there for the renewals on the 6th. I'd love to me everyone who posts here.

LenS. I'm the first one to sign up for the "Art of Concealed Carry" at Mansfield on the 28th. Nancy Snow took my reservation today.

Nice meeting ferretfour last night, and thanks again for loaning me the By-Laws. That might result in some new, highly desirable members! [smile]

As for the others I missed, sorry. I flew in late from work and then some shooting (and gun cleaning) at Braintree R&P and didn't even have time to stop and pickup my paperwork for the meeting. I was able to isolate a problem with the trigger on my Wife's G17, which was the mission at BR&P.

Not 100% that I'll be at the Members meeting, as it is our Anniversary. However if my Wife is stuck at work that evening, I may well head to the meeting.

Back
Top Bottom