Marine basic training info needed

Do they train with M9's in basic training? My son is headed to Parris Island at the end of October. I just picked up a Beretta 92FS and was wondering if it would be good to get him out to the range and get him comfortable with it. Is it something he will be doing in basic? I went through Air Force Basic Training and we never touched a handgun. We got our M9 training a couple weeks before we deployed.

I know I won't be training him as the Marines will, but some familiarity of the handgun might make that day in class that much easier.

Thanks

Better he should get some time on an AR , even better still, get him to an Appleseed so he can work on the fundamentals of marksmanship.

I'm no expert on what the Marines are doing but I don't think he getting a sidearm issued unless he's an officer, senior NCO or on a crew served weapon.

Attending an Appleseed will give him the basic skills he will need if he sees combat.

Note: I'm not just shilling for Appleseed here, I really believe this would help.

Thanks. His MOS is a technical one, not a combat one. So he may never see a sidearm.

We have been spending a lot of time with the AR15's. He's no stranger to them. We did look into attending an Appleseed, but our weekends never seemed to work out.

Thanks again for the information.

He will get plenty of instruction in Boot Camp. Two weeks worth. They are going to tell him that what ever he learned in the past was wrong. Tell him not to sweat it. They just don't want recruits thinking they know more than the PMI. Some of them actually think they do. [wink]

He will get plenty of instruction in Boot Camp. Two weeks worth. They are going to tell him that what ever he learned in the past was wrong. Tell him not to sweat it. They just don't want recruits thinking they know more than the PMI. Some of them actually think they do. [wink]

I have told him to keep his 'knowledge' under his hat. It's just to make those training days a little easier, being familiar with it. Or atleast give him a quick memory of being home with dad, spending time on the range.

I had never held a rifle before my basic training. It would have been nice if I had a simple understanding of what was what. [smile]

Better he should get some time on an AR , even better still, get him to an Appleseed so he can work on the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Attending an Appleseed will give him the basic skills he will need if he sees combat.

Note: I'm not just shilling for Appleseed here, I really believe this would help.

every single DI will disgree with that. they want to teach you their way of shooting, not anyone elses. its incredibly difficult to change your shooting habits once you already get them.

I'm no expert on what the Marines are doing but I don't think he getting a sidearm issued unless he's an officer, senior NCO or on a crew served weapon.
nope. a lot of people carry sidearms for a lot of different reasons. all MPs will carry one, some enlisted infantry and even engineers will get them. it depends on the location, the commander and the availibilty of M9's.

every single DI will disgree with that. they want to teach you their way of shooting, not anyone elses. its incredibly difficult to change your shooting habits once you already get them.

I know one Army Drill Sergeant (SFC, not currently doing DI duties) currently assigned to a Cav unit at Fort Drum that won't. He went to an Appleseed 2 weekends ago over there, and got a dose of humility. 2 of his subordinate Squad Leaders shot Rifleman (Expert) that weekend. Needless to say, the entire unit is doing a "Mini-Appleseed" soon.

I seriously recommend getting the new recruit to an Appleseed before he ships, so we can give him a good head start.

I'll also echo what Derek says about him keeping quiet about what he knows. His scores will speak volumes about his ability, and they will move on to those that need the help.

I seriously recommend getting the new recruit to an Appleseed before he ships, so we can give him a good head start.

Unfortunately every weekend until he ships out is filled. We did order Freds book and targets awhile back and have been working with that. I am confident he will do well with the rifle qualification. The original question was if I should be getting him familiar with the Beretta for basic training. Which is a 'no' from the people responding (thank you). We'll head to the range a few more times during the next month. Then he can shoot on Uncle Sams dime.[smile]

Thanks again to all those that have responded.

Last edited:
Do they train with M9's in basic training? My son is headed to Parris Island at the end of October. I just picked up a Beretta 92FS and was wondering if it would be good to get him out to the range and get him comfortable with it. Is it something he will be doing in basic? I went through Air Force Basic Training and we never touched a handgun. We got our M9 training a couple weeks before we deployed.

I know I won't be training him as the Marines will, but some familiarity of the handgun might make that day in class that much easier.

Thanks

Couldn't tell you what they do now, but I wasn't formally trained with a sidearm until after I graduated PI and later went on to embassy duty. What I can tell you is that I did receive basic instruction on how to use the 1911 and did fam-fire a magazine or two at the pistol range. This was NOT for qualification though and should not be counted as formal training for everyday duty. The intent was that if your SNCO or officer got taken down, you would have at least basic knowledge of how their duty handgun worked.

If they do any type of sidearm training at all, I would imagine that it would be something similiar. In that regard, it would probably not be worth it to get him a 92FS unless he already knows he's going to be an MP or something similiar.

true

yea take there advice. i just got out of the Marines. its good have have some practice on the AR style rifles but do not go talking about how u know everything about em. keep that to yuorself and use it to your advantage and get that expert badge everyone wants. ooh rah. well good luck to your future devil dog!

I own an original Colt AR-15 and when my son left in 1990 for Parris Island he had years of using the old black beauty. I told him that when rifle training comes around. NEVER act like you know anything about the weapon. Let them "train" you. You can be a fast learner, but do not act like you know anything because they will certainly let you know that you know nothing until you know the Marine Corps way. He finished third in his platoon at the range. When I spoke with his DI at Parent's night he mentioned how fast my boy picked up the rifle instruction. I said it must have been the DI doing the training and he grinned.

Remind him to try to stay awake during the week of "snapping in" One week of looking at a barrell with painted targets and dry firing was a killer. But it does help with breathing techniques.

Back
Top Bottom