Market in the toilet who’s buying?

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
15% swing in my account value today. Added to some of my better performing longs. My FB puts arent working out so far, lol. Was caught away from my desk and they got away from me.

45Badger

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It really depends where you are on the age spectrum. It the SM takes a real dump and goes bear......some people don't have the time. Not everyone is under 50 years old here.

It’s great to be 60. I’m having delayed empathy for all the folks I knew who were 58-60 in 2008. It delayed many retirements.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s great to be 60. I’m having delayed empathy for all the folks I knew who were 58-60 in 2008. It delayed many retirements.
I feel like it doesn't really matter, if you live long enough, you will see a market pull back in your retirement.

Let's say there is ansignificant one every 10-12 years.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I pulled back and took some long time profits.....I'm 53 and likely will put some back because you just can't sit on cash in todays environment.

But taking the long term profit and going to cash did feel nice.....getting out of the volatility.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I don't have the stomach for this. I really just need to work, invest routinely and not look!
If your less than 50.....this is pretty much the answer.

My strategy is to pare off some long term gains if the market pulls back. I.E. Don't be too greedy. At my age I have some comfort putting them in a low volatility higher dividend type stock like MO, or something like that and ride out til I really feel a bottom. Then maybe get back in.

What I don't want is to lose it all and have it go bear for ten years (very doubtful it would be that long) ....I want to have access to money I've made.

I will say any new 401K inputs are still going towards 100% stocks in S&P and some FANG. This is just for old money that I had sitting in there.

But my strategy isn't a high growth one....its for older people whove made their money.

Some people that don't care and let it ride, will very likely be better off than me at the end of the day.

I'm told to retire early its best to have free cash sitting around. Add to that I have a pension.....so that's also why I don't need to be super aggressive.

Last edited:

murf4321

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happens more frequently than people think.

Market sold off by over 20% in Q4 2018 when Powell spoke on Oct 3rd and send panic about interest rates.

Market also imploded 35% in 2020 in the throes of covid.

Just part of the deal, never fun.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Hey oil and gas plays are holding up. Wonder if it has anything to do with Russia/Ukraine/Nordstream 2/virtue signaling europeans.
I sold everything but my oil stocks, and stocks that I was long and way up on.........still very bullish on oil, and maybe banks. Since Biden rolled in here they've done everything they can to get oil to 100 a barrel.

Chevron has doubled for me, plus a nice 5% dividend added. I just wish I have had more money to throw at it.

Top Bottom