• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

marlbobo sept 24 / 25

Went late Sunday morning. No lines and not crowded. That's the good. The bad; NICS was excruciatingly slow-over 50 minutes on hold as I waited for a clearance after being "delayed" along with a lot more other folks; computer access was the same and it was across the board with anyone attempting a purchase at the show. I waited but several folks at the same table left after waiting an hour with one canceling the deal and the other opting to wait and go to the vendor's shop to pick it up once cleared.... ATM was also down the whole 3 hours I was there....so I know a few vendors lost some small level sales at least from me. If I were a true conspiracy theorist I'd say the 2 events were related and planned...But not yet ready for my tin foil hat....I did walk out with my Healy Hurts sign and a few stickers...Oh yeah, also picked up a Mosin Nagant 91/30... Not sure why but it seemed like a good idea...[smile]

On another (national) forum, there were posts about NICS being down nationally. So it might well be a conspiracy (it's a well known key gun show weekend across the country), but not one Healey had anything to do with.

tcarter01, we thank you for your patience sir! Enjoy the 91/30! You were incredibly patient WAY above and beyond what anyone could ask for! The NICS being down sure did put a crimp in the show. But, it finally came back on at 850PM, after having been out of service for almost 9 hours total for Saturday. And yes, several buyers left in disgust, but most were VERY patient, and many simply came back on Sunday, got in free, and picked their guns up then. We finished a LOT of transactions Saturday evening just to have them ready for Sunday pickup! And yeah, it sure would have felt like a conspiracy save the fact that NICS was down nationwide.

They rolled out the "new" NICS on 9 August. And it has had a zillion problems since then. And then on Sunday when you got your Mosin, the system had a temper tantrum again, with waits of about 30 minutes just to see the system time out and return a delay. Then when the transaction was called in, another wait of 50 minutes or more to get through and FINALLY get a proceed. This lasted for about 2 hours with LOTS of delays. And to add insult to injury, they had a "New NICS Transition Hotline" set up to handle problems with the new NICS. They announced on Friday that they were discontinuing the hotline on Sunday at 6PM because it was working so well.................RIGHT! But, all in all the vast majority of customers were very cool about it. Government efficiency at it's best!

On another (national) forum, there were posts about NICS being down nationally. So it might well be a conspiracy (it's a well known key gun show weekend across the country), but not one Healey had anything to do with.

or it could just be coincidence because servers and networks do go down occasionally without nefarious purposes. JFC

Yup it crapped out at around 2:00 pm and came back on-line around 3:45pm. The NICS system has been a mess for at least a month now. They keep changing the system.

They rolled out a new system in August; the old one had been operating steadily since it was put in in '97, I think they mentioned. Same hardware, even... and it was going to hit end of life later this year. So yes, they built a new system, and yes, there have been a LOT of bug-fixes issued. Including some planned down time, of which we FFLs got warning. At least, FFLs who have their email address on file and log in to the only NICS check did. I attended a talk given by one of the gentlemen spearheading this effort a few weeks ago. No conspiracy here, just a system that desperately needed to be replaced before it collapsed under it's own weight.

Georgia Optics was not there and they have been at every show I've been to. The other I believe was Precision Armament Works. I heard they closed after the AG Fiasco.

Wow... really? I just saw Greg at the Concord NH show a couple of weeks ago! He didn't mention anything about shutting down.

I got the emails myself this weekend, and I'm an FFL in VT.

Show was decent for me. Not the greatest show ever but decent. Spent way too much money. Crowd was large. I arrived at 11 AM and I still had to stand in line briefly. It was a little creepy with the Maura AR/AK Ban sign on the door warning us all to behave. Overheard a couple vendors talking and they both expressed that they were pleased with the size of the crowd. One set of two tables was conspicuously unoccupied. No explanation. Other than that, I didn't detect any shortage of vendors. The fact is that one of the popular local show vendors has been forced out by show management. Another popular show vendor closed shop and moved to Maine earlier this month. Other than those two and the body armor guy, I didn't detect anyone else missing. Everyone I personally went to see was there.

But I'll be the first to admit that it was pretty weird with no one displaying or selling ARs or AKs. Plenty of folks selling AR & AK parts including complete uppers... but no one selling complete guns or 100% lowers. Lots of stuff marked LEO only (much more than usual). Plenty of Mini-14's and a boatload of Hi-Points for sale. Pretty sick that a gun most of us used to laugh at now the de facto number one surviving replacement for ARs and AKs in this insane state.

For handgun sales, it was business as usual. No question that people were buying. I lost out on one great S&W revolver deal when the guy in front of me snapped it up. But I found another possible acquisition on another table that I'll be revisiting at the dealers shop if it is still around next week.

=========================

EDIT: After I thought about it a little more last night, I did come up with 2 or 3 other vendors from recent past shows whom I believe were missing from this weekend's show. [slap] None critical in any way to my shopping or enjoyment, but I wanted to correct myself anyway. -EJ

Did you catch the prices on the Mini-14s ?

Went late Sunday morning. No lines and not crowded. That's the good. The bad; NICS was excruciatingly slow-over 50 minutes on hold as I waited for a clearance after being "delayed" along with a lot more other folks; computer access was the same and it was across the board with anyone attempting a purchase at the show.

Oddly enough, I got this from the ATF this afternoon:

Good Afternoon,

The NICS began experiencing issues on Friday, September 23 at 2:20 pm ET continuing through Saturday, September 24 up through 10 pm ET. The issue was a problem that was identified Saturday which has been building since the New NICS deployment. Large amounts of data being stored on the NICS started to cause capacity issues with the system that subsequently began to degrade the NICS Service for both external partners and internal examiners. The issue has been identified and has been resolved. We are applying lessons learned from this past weekend and plan to further enhance the system with regards to system reliability.

This was an unforeseen issue and the NICS Section is regretful that this caused you a great inconvenience during the worst possible timeframe to experience a NICS problem.

The NICS Business Relations Team

BTW, the FBI guy who spoke about the system (to a bunch of New England FFLs) sounds like a serious gun guy. Not someone who'd shut it down for fun. Of course, I suppose he could just be a really good actor, and I'm really gullible. But he didn't sound that way.

An all matching Remington Mosin Nagant for $650. it was gone by the end of the day Saturday

Did you guys meet the new mascot? " Marlbobo" . I think he's Harambe's brother.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom