• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlboro Gun Show - Jan 28/29th 2006

We left the house a little late and skipped out on breakfast. When we got to the show we stopped and saw Len and met JayG. Didn’t meet any other NES’ers.

I was surprised at the crowd and number of tables. It looked like the winter doldrums got everyone out of the house.

I didn’t buy a thing. I saw a Japanese rifle for a decent price but I didn’t have enough cash on me. Barb even gave the go ahead to buy it. I think she said that because she must have sensed that I didn’t have enough. I was bummed out big time. I really wanted to pick up a Japanese Bayonet for my father's rifle. Saw a few, not bad on the price but none that I wanted.

All wasn’t lost though, while traveling up 495 up to the show, Barb asked if I’d buy her a pistol! I explained to her that gun shows aren’t the place to “shop” and she understood. She had a pretty good time looking at all the pistols. The first pistol she said she liked was a Para Warthog! Next one she picked out was a Sig 232. After that she was checking out all the “cute” junky .25’s and a few Derringers.

We left just after 1 and hit the Longhorn Steakhouse for lunch. During lunch Barb asked what it would take to get her LTC and what kind of classes/courses they have for women.
I was shocked that she wanted to go to the show with me and then she shocked me with all the Q’s. Looks like I’m almost there!

took me a full Lg cup of coffee to get from the back to the front of the line....bought a some .223 ans some .45, then humped it like a jerk to the far side of the lot to my truck. dummy.
there was so many people at one point, i was actually freaking out a bit.

Terry usually has some good rifles at his table, and reasonably priced too. Hes had a repro trench shotgun there for a while, I don't even think its legal in Mass. its got a bayonet lug. :?

JonJ said:
We left the house a little late and skipped out on breakfast. When we got to the show we stopped and saw Len and met JayG. Didn’t meet any other NES’ers.

I was surprised at the crowd and number of tables. It looked like the winter doldrums got everyone out of the house.

I didn’t buy a thing. I saw a Japanese rifle for a decent price but I didn’t have enough cash on me. Barb even gave the go ahead to buy it. I think she said that because she must have sensed that I didn’t have enough. I was bummed out big time. I really wanted to pick up a Japanese Bayonet for my father's rifle. Saw a few, not bad on the price but none that I wanted.

All wasn’t lost though, while traveling up 495 up to the show, Barb asked if I’d buy her a pistol! I explained to her that gun shows aren’t the place to “shop” and she understood. She had a pretty good time looking at all the pistols. The first pistol she said she liked was a Para Warthog! Next one she picked out was a Sig 232. After that she was checking out all the “cute” junky .25’s and a few Derringers.

We left just after 1 and hit the Longhorn Steakhouse for lunch. During lunch Barb asked what it would take to get her LTC and what kind of classes/courses they have for women.
I was shocked that she wanted to go to the show with me and then she shocked me with all the Q’s. Looks like I’m almost there!

Sweet, I hope that she goes all the way.

I wasn't going to go, but I felt the need to the other day. I woke C-pher up this morning to see if he wanted to go.....Sorry dude.

I saw a few things that looked cool. Saw a some NES persons. Chilled with Len fgor a lil bit, then went and joined my friends at Zero Hours for a few. Got my spicy jerky, some stripper clips and bandolear recharge kits.

Moderator said:
I wasn't going to go, but I felt the need to the other day. I woke C-pher up this morning to see if he wanted to go.....Sorry dude.

I saw a few things that looked cool. Saw a some NES persons. Chilled with Len fgor a lil bit, then went and joined my friends at Zero Hours for a few. Got my spicy jerky, some stripper clips and bandolear recharge kits.

Don't sweat it, I was getting up anyway. And I really wanted to go, just had too much to do this weekend. All this new baby stuff.

Give me a buzz tomorrow about stoping by if you're over this way.

I really wished that I could go to this show.

But, we'll have to plan for the one in Willimington. Someone that knows about it, needs to start a thread.

Gail,

I think that (Lance) Walton Guns and Supplies usually has some gun purses. Lance, Liz (Wife) and their Daughters are good people to deal with and have a huge display of holsters, cleaning brushes, etc. He's out of New Ipswich, NH, 603-878-3944. You might give him a call, find out what he has (or can get for the next show - Wilmington on Feb 18 & 19).

Synopsis of Saturday at the gun show:

- I must have met 30 or so folks that I know or are from NES . . . too many to try to mention all the names. Great meeting all you folks.

- Very interesting that Bill Pickett was seen wandering around the show!! He was the czar of CHSB/FRB (I forget which) that setup the current database, etc. and was a retired BATFE agent. NOT one of our friends!!

- MOST dealers were selling "NO BAN" Glock (and other mags, some marked LEO Only) to unsuspecting customers. Many were marked as "pre-ban" but they ARE NOT pre-ban!! Caveat emptor!

- One dealer (known to me) was selling "NO BAN" Glock mags as pre-ban for $45 each!

- All the Glocks that I saw at the show were priced at or (mostly) above the pricing at Four Seasons for the exact same thing.

- Ammo was mostly priced the same as I've seen at Collectors or Four Seasons.

- It was nice to see dealers selling powder, primers and ammo . . . something that is largely forbidden at W. Springfield! Only 2 dealers in a tent are allowed to sell ammo at the Big E (Expo rules)!

- GOAL sold a fair number of memberships today, so we did good at the table.

- Not many bargains to be had.

- I found MLE selling iShot bags and bought the big modular one. He's the regional distributor and I bought the last of that model that he had at the show. He was selling strictly for list prices, but even an Internet search showed no discounts on these bags. Folks on other forums swear by these bags . . . we'll see!

- Lance Walton (Walton Guns and Supply) was very busy, so I finally got to talk with him at the end of the show and found a holster to fit my newly purchased Sphinx .AT2000P (CZ75 Compact clone). No luck in finding mags for it at the show however (CZ75 Compact mags fit the gun). Lance also had a good deal on cleaning brushes . . . tornado brushes for $2.95 and bronze for $1.00 each. Picked up some of each.

Jon, congratulations on Barb's change of heart!

Deena changed her mind in about the same way.

But before buying her anything, let her actually try to shoot some different guns first. Go for a .22 (highly recommend Buckmark or S&W 422/622 as reasonably priced and good quality) and/or 9mm to start with (Glock 17 might be suitable) so that she can do well, without lots of recoil to begin with and then work up in caliber if she wants.

I've carried a .380 for years, but the typical short barrel makes a stiff spring and recoil for a small gun.

As I stated, my invitation is always open and I probably can bring enough different guns (including some wheelguns) for her to get an idea what she might like to shoot.

It was great to meet up with some of you down by the GOAL table. As said previously, it's hard to pick the NES people out of the crowd when there's so many. This would be a good marketing point for the NES.com apparrel.
All I bought was a few pounds of powder. Except for a few decent 03s and some .22 target rifles, there really wasn't much else to catch my eye. I did go looking for some AR match magazines, but had no luck.
I do wish I had sprung for a case of Winchester XM193, though. Not the best price, but surely not the worst.
JonJ........I know of a young lady in South Plymouth who's frequented various ranges in the local area if Barb ever needs input from a "sister-shooter".
Get her into one of those "Second Amendment Sister" Seminars
CJC[/quote]

Me and my Friend Rob were there (I'll get Rob to join soon here at NES). Saw Len and Wherewolf right off at the GOAL table (gots me some tickets! I wants that 1911!)

Didn't stick around too long to try and Meet other NES-ers because we had plans for later in the day (kinda sad, cause I'm never Disapointed when meeting NES-ers in person!)

Neither of us were overall imprssed with the prices of the guns (Still tho ya feel like a kid in a candy store). My buys were just a MAJOR stock-up on ammo (I was running a little low, and the ammo deals were awesome!)

Also I found 200 brass for .257 Roberts, I need to get my ass in gear and get my press set up.

Also I finally got some Mosin Nagant stripper clips and some .45 Snap Caps.

Had a BLAST I can't wait for my next one!

-Weer'd Beard

Thanks Len & Scott. I'm not going to push her, I'll let her come along at her own pace. Kinda sucks now that Plymouth R&G indoor range is shut down for renovation. I'll wait till the weather breaks and take her out for a little range fun with no one around. I think she'd be more comfortable that way.
I guess it will give me an excuse to pick up a Ruger MKII or something [wink]

I forgot to add that by the time we ready to go, she was looking more at revolvers for some reason. I have an old S&W Airweight Bodyguard in 38spl but it isn't to accurate and makes a fairly big blast.

I guess it really wouldn't help the cause if, all of a sudden, there were screaming hoards of wild-eyed shooter-freaks showing up on your doorstep, all wanting to take the little lady out for "Introductory range sessions".

I 'spose you don't want to overwhelm her and forever wipe out any hope of getting her behind the trigger.

If her debut with a pistol is a positive experience, who knows where that could lead her.......(maybe an encounter w/ an M1A?)
CJC

Jon,

Look at the 4". Deena picked the S&W 64-3. Decent gun for reasonable price. I saw a crappy one there for $210. One in much better condition for $289. We paid Carl $250 for Deena's, it was a consignment gun in excellent shape.

If Barb is comfortable with a heavier gun, take a look at the .357 equivalent of the S&W 64 (might that be a Model 66?).

I stopped by the show about 2:30 on Saturday for about an hour. Prices aside I saw lots of stuff I would love to buy, but no bargains. I did buy a case of Fiocchi .38 Special FMJ for $160.00. Not a fantastic price, but I needed some and thats a little less then I pay for other brands at Collectors Guns in Stoneham, my regular shop.

The funny part to me is when I walked in at the same time as 5 -6 other guys the police officer near the door says, "Hey, any of you fellas carrying any firearms" and everyone chimes in unison "No officer". I'm sure no one was.

Yes Scott, that's how I'm going to handle this. A little bit at a time. The M1A is MINE I tell you, all MINE! I tried to get her to shoot an AR but she refused. My DCM is way to heavy for her and the one at the range she was offered "scared" her. I'm actually happy that I didn't push her to shoot the AR.

Thanks for the advice Len. I'll let her try a few different pistols. I think I can borrow an old Chiefs Special from someone at work.
I was oiling up my old P38 today and when she walked in from shopping I met her at the door with it in my hands. "Let me see how that fits in my hand" says she. She liked the feel of it. Geeze, I haven't even fired that one myself!

As I was talking with an NES member, who asks me about a person I know as an Auxiliary PO in my town, I spot one of our Lts. (who is in charge of the Special Police in addition to his regular duties) with one of his Sons. Since he no longer shoots (he's a Marine and used to shoot/collect guns but he told me a few years ago that with many young ones running around {5 or so} he no longer wanted guns in his house), I found it odd for him to be at a gun show some 50+ miles from home. He was carrying a rifle case so I asked him what he had . . . he told me it was a Win 94 and he was looking for Pete Harvey!! Since Pete is an auctioneer and deals with old, expensive collectibles, I'm betting that this was an expensive rifle, perhaps a family hand-me-down (and out of my price range probably).

Damn, now I'll be curious about the rest of the story until I run into him again on patrol.

Jon, definitely tell her if she wants to come to the Braintree range to let us know. The Second Amendment Sisters meet there the 3rd Saturday of the month. Len knows how to get in touch w/ Lynne who runs the show. It's a great time, and the ladies are all very nice.

Len, thanks for the information! I missed the show because we're buying a house!!! The one in Middleboro came through =) I'll check out that business you recommended. Maybe I'll take a road trip.

Gail,

Congrats on the house! You won't regret it, it's nice to own your own and not have anyone else tell you what "the rules are". :)

I've already invited Jon and Barb numerous times. I wouldn't recommend that Barb attend SAS until we know that Michael is back instructing the ladies and according to what Lynne told Deena, he was in a lot worse shape than I thought.

At any rate, I've offered to bring some toys and have both Jon and Barb join me as my guests at BR&P so that she can try various guns. It's an open invitation, so when Barb is ready, I expect that I'll hear from Jon. As I found with Deena, it doesn't pay to try to push someone who is not quite ready or it can boomerang.

Back
Top Bottom