Marlboro Gun Show

This was my first show too. I was amazed at the fact that there were 300+ guys waiting in line to get in. I have never been to that trade center (Royal Plaza) when the parking lot was completely full like it was Saturday.
That aside I enjoyed being there but wouldn't probably go again. I guess I expected something slightly different. I would have thought that there would have been booths from Remington, Ruger, Sig, Leupold, RCBS, Dillon, Lyman etc etc. The mfgs should all be there showing off the latest and greatest guns for 2009. Where there are guns, there are hunters, what about outfitters and hunting lodges. Instead it was more of a gun dealer flea market. I also thought there would be more guys selling ammo in bulk, and at better prices.
Otherwise for me the highlight of the show was the booth selling Jerky and smoked cheese. They had some tasty stuff. I wish I had gotten a business card from them so that I could buy some more stuff later. Overall it was ok.

The only show gun manufacturers attend is this weekend at the Eastern Fishing and Outdoor Exposition in Worcester. The show is 99 percent fishing, but
Blue Northern Trading will have a large section off to the side and reps from many of those gun companies will be there.

This is not a case of a gun store just moving its inventory to a show to sell at the same price. This is an actual, honest to goodness opportunity to purchase new guns at fairly significant discounts during the show only.

It's a well kept secret

My second gun show. Went Saturday morning and it was just too crowded. Seemed like any table that had a decent selection of guns also had a crowd of people standing around it. However, even with all the people, didn't seem like there were that many guns being bought. Sometimes I think that a few of these dealers have been dragging around the same banged up guns to these shows for years - being sure to regularly increase their prices so that they are 20% over FMV.:)

Like others, I did buy some a variety of ammo and a couple of mags, which is really what I'd come for. Somehow missed the smoked cheese.:(

As I always am! [wink]

I almost bought a Saiga-12 for 599.99, whic seemed fairly reasonable, but I knew I'd end up sinking another grand into the pistol grip conversion and drum mag, so I passed.

I ALMOST bought a Sagia 12 as well. The biggest reason why I didn't is I don't konw much about them and $600 seemed too good to be true. I remember most of them selling for over $1000 on auctions and such. So I didn't know what the deal was with the ones at that table.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Anyone know which dealer that was in case I decide to get one....?

I went Saturday morning. I have never seen this place so crowded. I had to park in BFE and walk a while just to wait in line for 10 minutes. Once I got in and paid the fee, which I swear has increased; I had to wade through the people. I managed to visit almost all the tables by 1:30PM. I bought a FEG GKK-45 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30 ex-sniper from a dealer I know by name. I think I have bought 80% of my guns from him anyway. It is a good show despite the crowdedness. I plan on going to the next one too.

It's a gun show. There are some deals and some screwings. It's up to the buyer to know the difference.

I've been to this show many many times. Most times I walk out empty handed. Sometimes, I find a good deal. But all in all I have a pretty good time. I talk to a lot of different dealers, Bump into some friends. Get to buy some Venision Sticks.

Rather be there that at home shoveling snow. How about you?

Spent Sunday Am there with the Wife strolling around.

Had to grab a couple of AR Colt 30rnd prebans and a couple of boxes of 6.5 Jap. The 6.5 brass was pricey, the guy must have slipped on the ice in his driveway before he marked it.

Wife bought me a new Aussie XXXXXL lid from The Hat Guy.

From the reports I'm glad I waited till Sunday. I hate crowds

I was there manning Hanson rod and gun clubs table . Was right across the isle from GOAL's table with my back to the Guard. It was a good time I got to meet alot of people making some new friends and running in to some old ones. I did man the table alone so ocasionaly I had to flag in a couple of the Hanson guys to cover while I made a bee line to the head which seemed to have a perminent line there. In all I had a great time though I didn't get a chance to look the show over since the table couldn't be left unmanned anyone who stopped by the table knew why.

the highlight of the show was the booth selling Jerky and smoked cheese. They had some tasty stuff. I wish I had gotten a business card from them so that I could buy some more stuff later.

Here's their website:

http://www.logsmokehouse.net/

They have a $30 minimum on mail orders, but it's very easy to exceed that.
I spent $50 at their table at the Springfield show.

the saiga's where running about 299 to 350 way way back in ahhh sept. They look like an ak so the price is stupid high! You would think you might see some manufactures at some gun shows and big events like the State shoots for trap...nope aint worth their time. sad sad sad. I thought for sure I would at least see smith and wesson at guns shows....nope

the saiga's where running about 299 to 350 way way back in ahhh sept. They look like an ak so the price is stupid high! You would think you might see some manufactures at some gun shows and big events like the State shoots for trap...nope aint worth their time. sad sad sad. I thought for sure I would at least see smith and wesson at guns shows....nope

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Speaking of "stupid high" there was a Tec-22 at the show, all gleeming in evil black and carefully secured behind (presumably) bullet proof glass. All for the BARGAIN price of $540, which is a mere $300 more than I paid for one ~20 years ago. (and about $300 more than I see them 'around' on gunbroker, etc.

Now, it did look to be in perfect condition, but > $500? I had to buy a real Ruger 10/22 mag just so it would fire more than once without jamming.

Anyone who expects to see gun mfrs at gun shows has no clue what a "gun show" really is about. They are "flea markets" for gun enthusiasts, plain and simple. Whether you go to the huge shows in TX, PA, VA, etc. or the tiny shows in MA, NH, VT!

You want to go to a gun mfr's show, take yourself to the NRA Annual Meeting EXPO, IACP EXPO, SHOT Show, etc. BUT you generally aren't allowed to actually BUY anything at those shows. When 5.11 was selling clothing at the IACP Expo in Boston back in 2006, the IACP management shut them down (a few minutes before I got to their booth, damn it) for violating the expo rules!

For those that bitch that gun shows are too crowded:

- Unlike "expos", dealers only setup if they think that they can make money,
- If there are few customers, there will be very few dealers spending the money and time at the shows,
- With little traffic and sales, the gun shows will die!

So, suck it up and wade into the crowds (of good, like-minded folks) to see what deals you can find (if any), or stay home and order your stuff via phone and Internet (good luck with that!).

I'd rather see a busy show than a slow one where everyone is bored silly and the dealers decide not to bother doing it again. YMMV

Anyone who expects to see gun mfrs at gun shows has no clue what a "gun show" really is about. They are "flea markets" for gun enthusiasts, plain and simple. Whether you go to the huge shows in TX, PA, VA, etc. or the tiny shows in MA, NH, VT!

You want to go to a gun mfr's show, take yourself to the NRA Annual Meeting EXPO, IACP EXPO, SHOT Show, etc. BUT you generally aren't allowed to actually BUY anything at those shows. When 5.11 was selling clothing at the IACP Expo in Boston back in 2006, the IACP management shut them down (a few minutes before I got to their booth, damn it) for violating the expo rules!

For those that bitch that gun shows are too crowded:

- Unlike "expos", dealers only setup if they think that they can make money,
- If there are few customers, there will be very few dealers spending the money and time at the shows,
- With little traffic and sales, the gun shows will die!

So, suck it up and wade into the crowds (of good, like-minded folks) to see what deals you can find (if any), or stay home and order your stuff via phone and Internet (good luck with that!).

I'd rather see a busy show than a slow one where everyone is bored silly and the dealers decide not to bother doing it again. YMMV

Good post.

I think that for some of the folks that posted here it was their first time, so they didn't know what to expect.

Like I said in my earlier post, I had fun in spite of the crowds. I just took my time and worked my way in to the crowded tables. I'm just glad there was a show to go to.

ps. Len, Nice to speak to you briefly at the goal table.

I have to agree with Len - it's all a part of the 'experience'. A fun day out and a chance to see all kinds of 'neat stuff' and socialize. As I said, I became invisible more than once[angry]while waiting to get up to a display case but then, that's why God gave me elbows!!!!!!!

And yes, nice to see you again Len!

Donna

ps. Len, Nice to speak to you briefly at the goal table.

Nice meeting you too Doug.

I have to agree with Len - it's all a part of the 'experience'. A fun day out and a chance to see all kinds of 'neat stuff' and socialize. As I said, I became invisible more than once[angry]while waiting to get up to a display case but then, that's why God gave me elbows!!!!!!!

And yes, nice to see you again Len!

Donna

Donna, it's always nice seeing you.

One of the nice things about the shows is that you run into old friends (maybe some you had no idea owned guns), can make friends with some of the dealers, and look at it as a "social event". Most of our NES Shoots are "crowded" too . . . I look upon it as an opportunity for socialization more than shooting. Same with gun shows, many of which I buy nothing but some jerky for lunch . . . anything else is a "bonus".

Ordered my safe from Eastern and chatted with some guys from Hopkinton Sportsmans Association.

Saw an unsafe .357 for $32. Wondered how much profit you could turn with it at a Worcester gun buy.

I just confirmed with the jerky/cheese folks that they WILL be at the Wilmington gun show in March . . . for those that are interested.

You never know.
I saw at least two Jennings J-22 pistols there listed from $169.00 each.
I think I paid ~$60 for mine, and I have another one that a friend GAVE me.

I still think its funny I got in 45 min early and never froze, then the guy who we lied to asked us why we never came back....I said o i did i just gave them a dollar off coupon and they let me in....thank god i didnt have to pay to get in...it wasnt worth it

Back
Top Bottom