• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlboro Sept. 22 & 23

I believe I'll skip this one and just save a few bucks to go check out the Plymouth show Oct 6 & 7. Plymouth is way closer to me and anyhow I wanna check out FIRSTIES!!!

I am and I've never been to one. What can I expect? Will there be vendors showing new items? Firearms and accessories?

I am and I've never been to one. What can I expect? Will there be vendors showing new items? Firearms and accessories?

There will be vendors there that are FFL's from out of state. They might have nice brand new handguns that you might be able to fondle, but you won't be able to purchase if they're not MA-compliant.

Yes there will be plenty of firearms and accessories there. For the most part, you won't find any awesome deals on any of it. We sometimes get lucky though. Usually if you're one of the last people hanging around Sunday afternoon, you may be able to get someone to part with something for below their asking price because they just want to get rid of it and not haul it back to the trailer/ truck.

Marlboro = disappointment (past 4 shows) no good ammo deals, overpriced guns, out of state dealers lying about mags being pre-ban, trying sell it for a premium price.
only good deals in Marlboro are ammo cans, but i stacked up already.

Never been to Plymouth, but it's right by my in-laws, so i will definitely attend, just to see what's cooking. not holding my hopes up though.

Last edited:
There will be vendors there that are FFL's from out of state. They might have nice brand new handguns that you might be able to fondle, but you won't be able to purchase if they're not MA-compliant.

Yes there will be plenty of firearms and accessories there. For the most part, you won't find any awesome deals on any of it. We sometimes get lucky though. Usually if you're one of the last people hanging around Sunday afternoon, you may be able to get someone to part with something for below their asking price because they just want to get rid of it and not haul it back to the trailer/ truck.

Thanks!

out of state dealers lying about mags being pre-ban, trying sell it for a premium price.

[laugh] Those greedy sneaky bastards huh? I fell for this years ago when I had my first Glock 19 and wasn't very knowledgeable on how to tell prebans from postbans. At that point I trusted whatever an FFL dealer would tell me as the absolute truth.

What is the entry fee going to be this year, $15? [rofl] Every year they keep jacking it up a dollar.

With the exception of Plymouth (because it is a new show, and it might bring new vendors you don't normally see) I'm probably writing off all the MA gun shows this season.

-Mike

Ill probably go if I'm not stuck at work, found a couple deals at the last show. Looking for a ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel synthetic stock if anyones seen one around [grin]

Wyatt

If you've never been, I'd say, "go" ....at the very least, you'll be on the "inside" of the jokes and complaints!

I treat it like a museum....I always learn something.

Often I buy nothing big, but there are often deals on small stuff. I may not be able to make it , but I'll put an order in for a bevel washer for a Browning A5

What is the entry fee going to be this year, $15? [rofl] Every year they keep jacking it up a dollar.

With the exception of Plymouth (because it is a new show, and it might bring new vendors you don't normally see) I'm probably writing off all the MA gun shows this season.

-Mike

No kidding. I think when I first started going to Marlboro shows, admission was $5.

I usually go, but I'm not sure about this year (for no other reason other than I don't need anything). I have bought a few guns at this show over the years, but I mainly go to find parts (to make my older milsurps more correct), magazines and stocks/grips for different handguns, and to just catch up with friends or other collectors that I only see a few times a year.

If you have never been, I would recommend that you go. If you pay your entrance fee and spend a few hours entertaining yourself and checking out guns, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I have made a number of great scores at various gun shows, but I always go expecting to buy nothing. Sometimes you can get lucky.

^ This is true of course. I always see at least a few NES'ers I know fairly well at the Marlboro shows.

For about 8 years I made it to every January Marlboro show. One reason for that was my father was a vendor there for many years as well as most of the other gun shows all across MA. He's in the soldier's home in Chelsea now and we always talk about what gun shows I've been to lately when I visit him. I've bought probably a dozen guns at Marlboro over the years and tons of ammo/ accessories. I always find the guy who sells the black wool fingerless glove inserts because I love them for hiking/ general outdoor stuff in the cold months. Back in '02 or '03 I grabbed a Chinese 75-round AK drum for ~ $50.

Overall I still enjoy going to gun shows but nowadays it's usually to bring a few friends along who have never been to one. Yes, at 32 yrs old I still have friends my age who are just getting into the hobby. When I see the look on their faces when they first look around after walking in the doors, it reminds me of the excitement I experienced as a younger guy with a fresh horse-blanket LTC and $1000 cash in hand. [smile]

Yes, at 32 yrs old I still have friends my age who are just getting into the hobby. When I see the look on their faces when they first look around after walking in the doors, it reminds me of the excitement I experienced as a younger guy with a fresh horse-blanket LTC and $1000 cash in hand. [smile]

hey, i didn't get my license 'til i was 35.... :)
i'll probably go up with Ray... i'm gonna try and check out the plymouth show though too.... so i'll probably save my money for the october show....

hey, i didn't get my license 'til i was 35.... :)
i'll probably go up with Ray... i'm gonna try and check out the plymouth show though too.... so i'll probably save my money for the october show....
Got you both beat cause I didn't get my LTC till just recently at 43. [sad2]
Maybe I'll go the October show. It'll be my first. Gotta see what pocket change I can come up with. [wink]

I will probably go simply because it's local and fun and you get to look at a lot of cool stuff. There are worse ways to spend and afternoon.

Got you both beat cause I didn't get my LTC till just recently at 43. [sad2]
Maybe I'll go the October show. It'll be my first. Gotta see what pocket change I can come up with. [wink]

One up on ya...applied an received my first license at 45 this summer...me and the boy have had some real fun buying and playing...

He beats me by 30 years on his hobby...wonder what his cache will look like when he is my age...

I'm hoping to go Saturday. I've never gone on a Saturday, only Sunday. I don't go looking for amazing deals but I've found some good deals on smaller items, some mags, slings, ar parts etc. last time I grabbed some federal xm 855 on stripper clips for 150. A lot of places sell it for 169. I've never seen a gun deal I've had to have, but I'm still new to this.

With Plymouth being a new show maybe it'll be better than Marlboro? Any thoughts? Both are a ride for me so I can only do one.

I'll go only if the big, old guy who sells the gaudy knives that he begrudgingly let's you hold then wipes them down when you hand them back is there.......
i see him at every show, what a curmudgeon.

I'll go only if the big, old guy who sells the gaudy knives that he begrudgingly let's you hold then wipes them down when you hand them back is there.......
i see him at every show, what a curmudgeon.

Whatever you do, don't go to the old guy with the beard and glasses who sells all those expensive auto knives and ask to see a "switchblade"!!!

I've been to the Marlboro shows, but never really paid attention to the parts vendors, is it a good place to get a replacement magazine release for a converted saiga? Mine was filed too much during conversion, and the magazine wobbles. What about wood furniture for the same? (I am assuming wood furniture for a Saiga is something that exists).

I want to go just because I haven't been to a show in ages. I have to work on Saturday into the wee hours of Sunday... But there'll be plenty of time for sleep when I pass. ;)

I'll probably hit the Plymouth show as well... A buddy of mine down there want to go.

Oh... And I got all of you beat. Fresh new LTC at 47! But better late than never!

One up on ya...applied an received my first license at 45 this summer...me and the boy have had some real fun buying and playing...

He beats me by 30 years on his hobby...wonder what his cache will look like when he is my age...
52 for my first LTC or any form of firearms license for that matter.

The show is worth the price of admission just for the entertainment value even you you dont buy anything. There is a pretty diverse cross section of the population there to say the least. Recently there have not been any killer deals that I have seen. Used to be good ammo deals but not recently.

Back
Top Bottom