Marlborough Gun show this month

jron

NES Member
Alright, so I was tossing around the idea of setting up a table at the show at the end of this month. I have lots of pre ban magazines I have been able to get deals, pass the deal onto the customers and make a couple bucks for my self without gouging, I can't bring myself to do it.

I am going to have the best prices on pre ban ak mags

I was looking at the registration form and says you need a tax number. I dont have one and was going to deal with cash only. So do I really "need one?" I was just seeing if anyone here set up a table before

thanks.

You can always list them here in the classifieds then make arrangements to meet buyers at the show. I've done that before with wts adds. I'll most likely be lugging around an SKS for sale at the show.

You can always list them here in the classifieds then make arrangements to meet buyers at the show. I've done that before with wts adds. I'll most likely be lugging around an SKS for sale at the show.

Yeah was thinking of doing that Ray. I will go anyway, I always like going to the shows even if I dont get anything.

You need a tax number, supposedly in the past the DOR from MA has been there making sure people are collecting sales tax.

I was "carded" by the Mass DOR a couple of years back, when I sublet a table from a dealer that I know. They wanted to know, "Why if it's not a business, are you selling stuff here?" I said this was surplus from the basement, and gestured at the table saying, "Do you really think that this would fly as a yard sale table?"

They saw my point, but took personal info, to make sure that my cleanouts were not a business.

yes I will repost what I have when I get them in. I plan on attending the gun show and will bring them with me. even though I wont end up having a table.

You could always go the route of bringing a backpack with you filled with goodies and wear the sign around your neck stating preban ak mags for sale.. Ive seen guys carrying ar's on their shoulder with signs on them.... why not mags.... You could keep some extra in the car and refill as needed.

You could always go the route of bringing a backpack with you filled with goodies and wear the sign around your neck stating preban ak mags for sale.. Ive seen guys carrying ar's on their shoulder with signs on them.... why not mags.... You could keep some extra in the car and refill as needed.

I suppose. Im not one to draw to much attention to myself. I have a lot of mags to sell. lol.

just scored more pre ban ar mags $8 a pop included shipping. those are being kept for personal stock. [smile]

I was looking at the registration form and says you need a tax number. I dont have one and was going to deal with cash only. So do I really "need one?" I was just seeing if anyone here set up a table before

thanks.

I'm pretty sure that Carole won't rent a table for a MA show to anyone selling hard goods w/o a Sales & Use Tax Registration Certificate. Yes, you need it.

my social? lol. I dont think I want to give out my social to some gun show

Yes, the default # on a Sales & Use Tax Registration Certificate IS your SSN and it MUST be posted publicly! Only exception is if you get an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from IRS you can use that (that's what I use).

You need a tax number, supposedly in the past the DOR from MA has been there making sure people are collecting sales tax.

Not supposedly. Back in the days when I worked the GOAL table for the gun shows, twice I had DOR in my face asking for the certificate.

DOR will sell you a certificate (it used to be $20, no idea how much it may have increased in recent years) but:

- It will have your SSN on it.
- You must post it publicly at the show.
- DOR will expect you to pay sales tax on sales.
- DOR will expect you to add revenue from sales to your tax return and pay taxes on it as income!

You can apply for an EIN on the IRS website - I think you get it instantly.

Technically speaking you should then report your income and costs on your tax return (Sch C), but few people ever do for "yard sale" type activity. You could report a loss and take a deduction against your other income, but we're getting a little carried away for selling off a few dozen magazines.

I'd venture a guess that it's not worth the table, and I'd carry around a backpack at the show with a "magazines for sale" sign on it, and just sell them without a table. I've done this with guns I've had to sell. Or make a friend who already has a table, and sell them there.

I got a sales tax license, have to report my sales once a year, this year I showed I sold $100 worth of stuff at the show, paid $6.25 in 2012 it was $10 and cost 62 cents. I don't display it since I normally only display my Boston Police guns, stop by if you are at the show

DOR will sell you a certificate
On the spot? Sounds like blackmail - pay us or else (Yeah... I know. The State can get away with that and no one calls them out on it).

- It will have your SSN on it.
- You must post it publicly at the show.
- DOR will expect you to pay sales tax on sales.
- DOR will expect you to add revenue from sales to your tax return and pay taxes on it as income!
I'd have to check, but I don't think that my tax certificate has my SS# on it. Of course, I formed an LLC, so it shouldn't!

It gets its first workout February 22nd at the gun show in White River Junction. I'll be selling ammunition and (assuming the order gets here) reloading supplies. Until I get my FFL, anyway. Then I add guns to the mix. [smile][party] I can't wait.

- - - Updated - - -

You can apply for an EIN on the IRS website - I think you get it instantly.

That is correct - get it right online. Of course! The .gov wants to make it EASY for you to give them money!

If you plan ahead and have an EIN, that should be your sales & use tax number.

If DOR catches you up short at a show, it will be your SSN!

Mine is my EIN, as I applied for the EIN and then applied for the sales & use tax certificate after that.

Back
Top Bottom