Marlborough Gun show this month

+1: if it's not a dorky trucker hat like the NRA hats I would be in.

No dorky trucker hats either. I had this in mind. Very hard to miss.

nod9at.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I can't wait to try mine out - as I sat there in the hall while they were molding in my ears, the noise reduction was phenomenal - kind of creepy, since I knew how noisy it was. Even using both plugs and muffs at the range, it's like I'm using nothing, and most days I come home with a headache.

If you really want to see if they work, sit on the bench next to mine when I shoot my AR with the JP muzzle brake. I get "the look" from the guys at the club when They see me setting that thing up. They tell me that it's very loud. [laugh]

If you really want to see if they work, sit on the bench next to mine when I shoot my AR with the JP muzzle brake. I get "the look" from the guys at the club when They see me setting that thing up. They tell me that it's very loud. [laugh]

Yeah, the loudest experience at a range I've ever had was whilst shooting in Texas one time. I think a couple of the guys at the range were firing cannons.....

I think it has a lot to do with wives watching what their husbands are spending and girlfriends going along thinking it'll be fun until they spend an hour and a half getting ogled and crop dusted.

I haven't been to a show in a year or so, but it seems like more women are getting in to shooting. Or at least carrying. I can tell you that there were a lot of couples and couples with kids at the NRA show last year. That's like a super huge gun show, only most everyone there showered before the came.

Well, you didn't disappoint me Len! I've enjoyed meeting you both times, and especially with Mrs S this last time.

Thank you and the feeling is mutual. We both look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps in Woburn (2/8) and perhaps in Natick (2/13)?

- - - Updated - - -

After the initial shock and disappointment I enjoyed meeting him too.

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Yeah, the loudest experience at a range I've ever had was whilst shooting in Texas one time. I think a couple of the guys at the range were firing cannons.....

More thread drift ahead...

I was at Manchester Firing Line once on the members side, and there was -maybe- a 11-12 year old girl (she didn't look much older than that) with her dad firing a Thompson Contender single shot pistol. I forget what it was chambered in, but it had to be 30-30 or something like that. It had a huge brake on it. That was easily the loudest gun I've ever been exposed to, at least indoors. The concussion from the pistol was so massive, that every time she fired it, it caused the target carriers to momentarily lift off the track and it made the lights on them flicker. All the way down the members side. [laugh] It was so powerful the "unwashed" people (I could tell they weren't members, but they were joe randoms that got moved to that side) that rented the lane next to them started whining to the range officer about the concussion, and they ended up getting into an argument with the RO and apparently the RO kicked them out and gave them their money back. [laugh] She was only shooting the gun for like 5 minutes anyways, and she was a pretty good shot with it too. I thought it was coolest thing ever to see this kid with a big ass grin on her face, shooting the most absurd gun. It rather amused me that she was relatively unfazed by it but the two adults one lane over were whining pansies, instead of just standing back for a couple minutes and watching the action. [laugh]

-Mike

when there is THAT much free parking on the streets of downtown Manchester why would anyone use the parking garage and pay?? Plus it takes forever to get out of it at the end of the day.

Just seems more convenient to me, but what do I know. I don't like wasting time driving around looking for spaces, as soon as I get there I just want to park and get out. The fact that it basically dumps you out onto the main drag and you're back on the highway in like 60 seconds is nice, too. Course looking for street parking makes more sense now that the fee isn't the $2 or whatever it used to be. I remember when you would drive out and they would say "GUNS OR REPTILES???" [laugh]

As to the parking in Springfield they even hose the dealers, between the parking, admission and the crap food at gourmet prices I don't see why people still go there.

The only reason that show is still operated is because it's the only "western" MA show. They really need to pick a new venue for it... preferably not in or near springfield. So few dealers show up at it now (relative to Marlboro) they could move it into a place a third of the size.

-Mike

The doctor, Drgrant, usually describes the place as having that fart gas smell. LOL

I worked there there whole weekend and I only got hit a couple of times... Then again it's not nearly as bad being inside a booth, where the table ensures a minimum safe distance. The worst was this guy with his kids with him, I don't think it was the guy but one of his sons was definitely dropping bunts, I had to step back to allow it to dissipate before I could breathe again.

Overall though.... Hamfests.... are still 10000 times worse. Going to Boxboro back in the day was like taking a walk inside some guy's work boots. A gun show ain't got nothing on a Hamfest in terms of lack of hygeine. Not even close. Like in the same universe. The BO at hamfests.... [puke]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been to a show in a year or so, but it seems like more women are getting in to shooting. Or at least carrying.
I can tell you that while I was there I saw no less than 4 women looking/asking about carry guns. Only one of them appeared to be with their significant other.

Thank you and the feeling is mutual. We both look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps in Woburn (2/8) and perhaps in Natick (2/13)?

I'll probably get to the Natick meetup again. But not the Woburn one sadly, I rarely do bars. Hopefully we'll manage another gathering like the Waltham one soon though - I enjoyed being able to sit around over dinner and chit chat, that was a lot of fun!

I'll probably get to the Natick meetup again. But not the Woburn one sadly, I rarely do bars. Hopefully we'll manage another gathering like the Waltham one soon though - I enjoyed being able to sit around over dinner and chit chat, that was a lot of fun!

It's not a bar , there just a a food place that sells booze. There burgers Are awesome . Saturday I so a few women looking at pistols together . One kf the dealers said he could get it in pink. They said they'd rather have black . Lol

Is it also greed when you try to get the most for something you're trying to sell?

It's not greed. Can't blame sellers for getting as much $$$ as they can. I can go to a mall and see price swings for the same pair of running shoes. That's the free market. Heck, I didn't talk anybody up to see if they had a better price - I don't think they are bad people, just think they could be utilizing a better angle. Advertise special show prices at your table and knock off a decent percentage, get people over - it'll be like a freakin magnet. Once they've bought and loved the buying experience, product, the deal they got, many will visit the business site. On the site leave a nice personal note on how wonderful the show and the fabulous customers were with whom they spoke and interacted. The brick and mortar store/web prices however remain the same. No show specials. If the cost of getting to the show and existing in that build for a weekend is cutting so close to the bottom line then there are far greater problems with the business. But I digress, this is essentially the same drivel I last posted. Look forward to my next show for which I will be doing a little studying-up work on prices and will engage sellers to see if there are any deals to be had. I should wear a go-pro camera to share the laughs.

It's not a bar , there just a a food place that sells booze. There burgers Are awesome . Saturday I so a few women looking at pistols together . One kf the dealers said he could get it in pink. They said they'd rather have black . Lol

Oh, that's good to know then! Thanks for putting me straight.

And good for those ladies you saw at the show! I roll my eyes at the whole pink thing for women's firearms and accessories - but especially the firearms themselves. Sure, I can stomach it if it helps get more women proactive. But seriously, I don't see any guys sporting baby-blue options......

My wife had a good time checking out wheel guns and even the "gun toten mamas" purses. No sale this time, but some good ideas!

At the NRA show last year there were several vendors selling carry accessories for women. There were a few firearms manufacturers that were showing firearms marketed to women as well. I think they are gimmicky, but my wife has mentioned that if she were gun shopping she'd want something with pink grips.

I guess there's a market for that.

Seriously though, women, particularly younger women, are the fastest growing demographic in the shooting market. The NRA realizes that and is starting to target that market. I think that the firearms manufacturers will follow suit and not just with pink grips.

Anybody get sick the day after the show?? I went Saturday afternoon and have been sick ever since!! Body aches, chills and all stuffed up....I left my house healthy and came home sick... I'm guessing I got it from someone there..

My wife had a good time checking out wheel guns and even the "gun toten mamas" purses. No sale this time, but some good ideas!

I didn't even see those. But I admit, I didn't spend too long wandering around after I had my earplugs molded. It was kind of busy though too, and I was speed-walking so I could escape the neanderthals. I was concerned I'd be dragged into a cave and clubbed if I hung around too long, or made eye contact with anyone.

At the NRA show last year there were several vendors selling carry accessories for women. There were a few firearms manufacturers that were showing firearms marketed to women as well. I think they are gimmicky, but my wife has mentioned that if she were gun shopping she'd want something with pink grips.

I guess there's a market for that.

Seriously though, women, particularly younger women, are the fastest growing demographic in the shooting market. The NRA realizes that and is starting to target that market. I think that the firearms manufacturers will follow suit and not just with pink grips.

You're absolutely right, there's a huge market for the gimmicky stuff - girls love it. So I'm not surprised it's taken off so well. Whatever works and gets women motivated is definitely good. But I'll probably just stick to the regular versions. [wink]

First gun show for both the wife and I; I'm not sure who was more excited waiting in line (on the way in AND on the way out).

But seriously, I see the same demographic shift in firearms that I do in motorcycles.

You're absolutely right, there's a huge market for the gimmicky stuff - girls love it.
Guys don't like to admit it but they are just as bad. There is truth in the saying "AR-15 – Barbie Doll For Guys".

So I'm not surprised it's taken off so well. Whatever works and gets women motivated is definitely good. But I'll probably just stick to the regular versions. [wink]

I am of the same opinion, whatever works. I told my wife I'd buy her anything she wanted, any color she wanted, and bedazzle it if needed. She fell in love with an M&P full size in plain black. First time she took it out she went through 300 rounds, had to start reloading to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom