• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlborough show

HAHA That's because I wasn't at the GOAL Table. I've been working with the Powder Keg for the past 7 or so years. I was running out to the truck to get a box for a gun we just sold. You were down where Greg was trying to get something just to get the HK Box I think he said.

Oops, my bad. I'm ignant. I didn't see Fred (50BMG), either.

C-pher - I'm trying to put a face to an avatar. What was the name of the guy we were talking with about techniques to hide new gun purchases from wives? It was you, me, shadyduk1979, and the last guy.

I echo the thought that most of the stuff at this show is just a retread of the last 3 shows at Marlboro. Same $900 VZ58, same ammo prices, more flashlights. I don't understqand why a dealer would add 30+% to an item compared to what you can get it locally and expect to sell anything. The same dealers who have decent pricing seem to sell, the others I have no idea how they make a buck. Found some 180gr JHP 40 bullets I am going to try reloading.

Found a deal on Wolf primers, $40 per k............ Seriously, do they think people checked their brains at the door?

I just got home from the show. I was the guy with the Jason Jesse Virgin of Guadalupe shirt and red sox hat with the blonde who looked bored. I picked up some wadcutter reloads, some targets, and a couple speedloaders for my .22 revolver. I found most stuff to be more overpriced then the last couple of shows I went to, maybe it was just me though.

I posted this in the new aqq's thread....

I just came back from the Marlborough gun show; it was the first gun show I went to and it was better than expected. I was going to get a Mosin Nagant or SKS but I am always put on hold by the FBI and I would of had to drive to one of the shops through the week to pick the rifle up or paid to have it shipped which would of nullified the few bucks I could of saved in gas or shipping.

I ended up getting some cool stuff...

4 medium ammo cans

3 smaller ammo cans

2 defused grenades

308 Winchester ammo

2 Smith & Wesson knives

Magnesium fire starter

A really wicked cool flashlight....1,000 lumen straight shot style beam
Med pack in a military pouch

Two gas masks with 40mm NATO filters so I buy replacements anywhere. I was going to get the surplus Israeli style masks but the field of vision on these are incredible. They come in those grey plastic bins.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 44
I was there yesterday. Decent show.
I saw 2 NES'ers. one waring a NES zombie Response team shirt with a Red hat, the other was a vendor with a Gray NES T shirt. I was too chicken to talk to them :D

I was perplexed... when I walked in, the cop asked me if I was carrying. Apparently if I Had been, and said yes,they would have asked for the Mags.......

I was perplexed... when I walked in, the cop asked me if I was carrying. Apparently if I Had been, and said yes,they would have asked for the Mags.......

If you are carrying you have to unload your weapon and check it ( and the ammo) in at the table there.

Yes, you do, if you wish to play by their rules. BTW when I got there, it was a mall cop, not a real LEO. We also spotted a real LEO wandering through the show with his gun. Apparently he is "washed". [laugh]

-Mike

I echo the thought that most of the stuff at this show is just a retread of the last 3 shows at Marlboro. Same $900 VZ58, same ammo prices, more flashlights. I don't understqand why a dealer would add 30+% to an item compared to what you can get it locally and expect to sell anything. The same dealers who have decent pricing seem to sell, the others I have no idea how they make a buck. Found some 180gr JHP 40 bullets I am going to try reloading.

Found a deal on Wolf primers, $40 per k............ Seriously, do they think people checked their brains at the door?

IMO overall it was worse than the last Marlboro show, but there were a few deals to be had in pockets here and there.

The cheap chinese flashlight thing is getting funny, though. I swear there were 20 vendors selling shitty LED flashlights, and a third of them were surefire wannabe lights.

-Mike

All I have to say is I want that M2.

Does anyone have $11,500 I can borrow?

That was the highlight of the show. If I seemed distracted it was because I was constantly thinking about how to build the first NES technical. [rofl]

-Mike

Only thing i saw that tempted me was a 4 digit 10/22,, a decent deal at $165. I think it was at the "powder Keg " table, but it was gone later in the day. just as well, being a NH resident it would have been a pain in the ass for the paperwork crap and cost more to do transfers etc. just to get the damn thing home. The jerky guy got a few bucks out of me, as usual,,,,

Geez Mike, you are killing me here. I just cannot find any excuse for going there tomorrow, except to meet folks. If you don't mind me asking, what was the going price on the M193?? Was it the 1000 round cans or the 840 round cans with the rounds on stripper clips?? I looking for some AK74 mags too. Would that make a trip worthwhile?? At this point, it is looking like MFL and Riley's stand a better chance of getting my cash.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. When we left the NY guys only had the 400 round loafs of XM193 for like $140, which is retarded considering at Wilmington the same guys were selling the 500 round loafs for $150. They had a bunch of other M193 type ammo there too, but the 400 round loaf had the best price.

-Mike

The one thing I saw Saturday that I should have grabbed was a vintage US military soft rifle case. There was a place advertised in Shotgun News that had them for $20 then they dried up and prices went to $40 on some online sites. Someone I know that goes to Sippican had one at a shoot last year and it had writing on it that indicated it was 101st Airborne property so I guess there are some collectable ones out there.

The vendor with the Schlitz hat that sells tons of original parts had 4 of them on Saturday.

i could have grabbed some newer rifle soft cases that were selling for ok money, I just wasnt really looking for one so I didnt look too closely, I do need one.

Went today to get some stuff for my AR 15 builds and went to the guy to the left side against the wall and he was already covering his tables at 12:15 PM. I should have asked for admission refund. Less dealer's than the Jan. show. Not worth $10.00

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. When we left the NY guys only had the 400 round loafs of XM193 for like $140, which is retarded considering at Wilmington the same guys were selling the 500 round loafs for $150. They had a bunch of other M193 type ammo there too, but the 400 round loaf had the best price.

-Mike

I went to the show today. The two highlights were meeting Fred (50BMG) and finally joining GOAL. I hate to admit it, but I've been a life member of the NRA for over 25 years and only joined GOAL today at the show. I tried to find C-Pher since I've chatted with him on Ham Radio topics here, but he was like the invisible man. I picked up some Bulgarian AK74 mags and 500 rounds of Federal XM193, but it wasn't from the NY guy. I still wasn't overly satisfied with the ammo price I did pay, but it was a lot better than the NY guy. Mister NY Ammo Guy wanted $40 more for 1000 rounds of Prvi 5.56 than my local dealer!!!

It has been many years since I attended any firearms shows, but this was the most pathetic I ever experienced. It felt more like a clothing and knife show. I'm probably going to try Concord next week. Everyone tells me that one is MUCH better.

There is a small show coming up in Lunenburg also,, its a one day show, i think on the 23rd. I have found some good stuff there from time to time.

Also went today and walked out with more t-shirts than anything. Someone was selling 3 t-shirts for 20 bucks. Handguns are way overpriced, I seen a smith wesson compact 1911 for around 1,100. Anyone know which show is the best one to attend, because marlboro is terrible.

Unfortunately Marlboro had been about the best we've had in the last several years. I always used to like the Manchester and Concord shows. Haven't been to either in a few years tho.

Yes, you do, if you wish to play by their rules. BTW when I got there, it was a mall cop, not a real LEO. We also spotted a real LEO wandering through the show with his gun. Apparently he is "washed". [laugh]

-Mike

Well hey, they're the only ones professional enough....remember?

That was the highlight of the show. If I seemed distracted it was because I was constantly thinking about how to build the first NES technical. [rofl]

-Mike

That makes two of us [devil2]

It has been many years since I attended any firearms shows, but this was the most pathetic I ever experienced. It felt more like a clothing and knife show. I'm probably going to try Concord next week. Everyone tells me that one is MUCH better.

Better accessories (because it's NH, theres less of a tendency for vendors to overcharge for things like mags and such) and better gun prices, although the whole show is probably less than half the size of Marlboro, but there won't be 48 vendors selling chinese flashlights, either. The tables that ARE there tend to suck less- only a handful of what I call "junk tables" at Concord. Ammo will still be a toss up depending on who does or doesn't show up... my bet is though there won't be as much ammo as there was at the last Manch show.

The one downer of Concord is it gets packed in there, and if the weather is nice, the venue turns into a sauna. If the weather is above 55-60 I would go in with jeans and a t-shirt, because it will get hot in there. Last time one of the shop owners had like heatstroke or something like that and the EMTs came in and carted him out of the place. It must've been 80+ in there easy. Another reason why it is good to get there at 9.

Another nice thing about Concord is you can still hit up Rileys and MFL on the way back if you haven't been sated. [grin]

Disclaimer: Mind you I'm saying these things in relative terms. If you go as a glass half full kind of guy, you'll be fine. If you go thinking that it is going to be disneyland of gun shows, then it's probably not worth the trip. I don't set the bar for gun shows very high. The only one I will flat out refuse to go to is the Springfield ones, because they are an out and out rip-off, and the ammo tent thing is beyond gay. That show is the WORST one in new england, hands down. It used to be one of the best.

-Mike

I gotta stick up for the dealers somewhat at the Mass. shows, the promoters are hitting these dealers up for $75 a table, so if a dealer has 3 tables its $225 right out of thier pocket,and its the same promoters for most of the shows, springfield, wilmington, marlboro. They have a virtual monopoly on the shows. Supposedly at this last show the promoters charged the dealers extra for emptying the dumpster because it was full! ($500 to empty a dumpster?) Between what they make on table fees and admission fees they are pulling in some pretty good coin. A lot of the gun dealers dont want to do shows anymore since the costs outweigh the profits, so the promoters allow the T-shirt dealers, flashlight vendors etc. to come in to fill the tables, so it gets to be more flea market than gun show.

The promoter of the Manchester and Concord is far more popular than her rivals down in mass. she is appreciated by a lot of the NH dealers and doesnt try to rip them off, hence there are a lot more gun dealers at the NH shows than Mass. while nothing is perfect in this world i feel that the Mass. promoters are heading for a train wreck, a lot of people seem to boycott thier shows now, especially Springfield since the Big E decided to take a cut in the profits by hitting everyone up for parking (even the vendors) Marlboro is the last of thier shows i will go to, and after this last one that one that maybe a thing of the past too, at least for me. JT

-Mike

The LEO was at the door yesterday, was a few more walking around. LEO at the door winked at me on my way out, was kinda wierd.

I hadnt been to the show in some time so it seemed decent to me, was a lot more chinese LEDs than ever before, tons of knives too and it took a lot for me not to buy any more. Ammo prices didnt seem very good except on a few small boxes.

Anyone know which show is the best one to attend, because marlboro is terrible.

Wilmington is pretty good because a lot of different vendors sell at that show that don't go anywhere else. There is also Holbrook in a few weeks, small show but Terry Goode usually sets up there and he always has at least 1 rare rifle or exceptional deal every time I see him at a show. He had a Milled Mak 90 for $550 Saturday morning at Marlboro and it was gone in a few hours.

BTW... Nice to see more Sippican members here.

I went to the show today. The two highlights were meeting Fred (50BMG) and finally joining GOAL. I hate to admit it, but I've been a life member of the NRA for over 25 years and only joined GOAL today at the show. I tried to find C-Pher since I've chatted with him on Ham Radio topics here, but he was like the invisible man. I picked up some Bulgarian AK74 mags and 500 rounds of Federal XM193, but it wasn't from the NY guy. I still wasn't overly satisfied with the ammo price I did pay, but it was a lot better than the NY guy. Mister NY Ammo Guy wanted $40 more for 1000 rounds of Prvi 5.56 than my local dealer!!!

And I thought you were going to say the highlight of the show was meeting Tara and I at the GOAL table. Oh well, at least you joined GOAL.

And I thought you were going to say the highlight of the show was meeting Tara and I at the GOAL table. Oh well, at least you joined GOAL.

LOL. You got me Chuckster. Yeah, that was one of the highlights too. Frankly, if not for the socializing, this was a sad way to spend a Sunday. The show sponsors really need to think about revamping the show. I'm not so concerned about the large amount of clothing and flashlight vendors, but this is supposedly a firearms show. They should make some effort to entice more dealers to the show. If they had some of the volume handgun dealers, for instance, may the handguns would not have been ridiculously overpriced. I just can't fathom why anyone would spend $1100 for a handgun at this show that they can buy at FS or Collector's for $900.

A lot of the gun dealers don't want to do shows anymore since the costs outweigh the profits...
Some dealers clearly aren't moving much of anything... but some are moving tons of stock (and I think you know which ones I am talking about). It's all in providing what folks want at what they are willing to pay.

By chance, I overheard some of the vendors talking numbers. Some quick math in my head tells me that these people were not suffering from the cost of tables. Hardly!!! Also got in a conversation with one vendor (non-ammo, non-firearms... just accessories) about how much stock he expected to move in two days and the numbers were eye-popping to say the least.

Bottom line is that they didn't add another Marlboro show to the calendar because the other Marlboro shows were a failure (for promoter or dealers). Yes, perhaps this was one Marlboro show too many for some of us (I should have stopped after Wilmington), but I still had my shopping list with a few items not crossed off and it's a long time until the next one.

CLMN

Back
Top Bottom