• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 336 JM stamp assistance

Hey all. Hope this is the right area to post. I recently inherited a Marlin 336 30-30. Upon obtaining this I visually inspected it (seems in great shape). Checked the loading gate (appears empty), attempted to cycle the action but the lever is stuck, will not budge at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

What Jack said.

Treat it as loaded at all times till you can tell otherwise.

Kroil or something similar on where the lever latches into the locking block and the lever pivot screw.
Same all around the bolt.
If you can get the lever to move a little I would take out the lever screw and try to remove the lever completely if possible.

Shine a light down the bore and see if you can see the bolt face and firing pin hole. If not then you might see the top of a bullet if there's a live round in it or the inside of an empty case.

Ok. The hammer is able to be cocked. It was my Great Grandfathers who’s been deceased for about 25 years, so it’s been idle at least that long. I did notice that the trigger is quite wobbly. Not sure if this is normal just an observation. Also doesn’t appear to ever have had a scope mounted. Thanks a lot, I will safely try the above and advise.

Shine a light down the bore and see if you can see the bolt face and firing pin hole. If not then you might see the top of a bullet if there's a live round in it or the inside of an empty case.

:eek:

Using a mirror!!! I assume you don't have a bore scope. @Glockshot21 Treat that thing as LOADED!!! Don't look down into the barrel until you verify the chamber is empty!!! JFC...

Ok so just a click, no bang when cocking the hammer and squeezing the trigger. I will try applying kroil in those areas.

Ok. The hammer is able to be cocked. It was my Great Grandfathers who’s been deceased for about 25 years, so it’s been idle at least that long. I did notice that the trigger is quite wobbly. Not sure if this is normal just an observation. Also doesn’t appear to ever have had a scope mounted. Thanks a lot, I will safely try the above and advise.
Marlin triggers are floppy.

I would put a long dowel down the barrel until it stops, then mark it at the end of the muzzle. Take out line up the mark at end of muzzle and see where end of dowel is. If its 2 1/2- 3 inches away from what seems to be the boltface location, you got a round in the chamber......
Best advice yet. Jack.

You can also check the lever pivot screw and make sure that it wasn't tightened by a gorilla. They can be over tightened to the point that the lever won’t move. From your pictures I can see that the lever pivot screw has been in and out. So you can check that.

Kroil it as recommended and let it sit for a day or two. A few taps on the side of the action with a rubber hammer might help has well. The vibration might be enough to loosen the action.

Bob

I would check all the action screws, if they are loose it can create problems. Also back off any scope mount plug screws. The ones on the top of the receiver. Often those can protrude into the action. Sometimes you just have to give it a quick sharp cycle, its not a action to be pussy footing around with.
you can pull the front mag plug to see if its loaded with rounds in the mag.
its pretty easy to strip it down also. Just be sure to use nice bits.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFbL0RpMACI

I would check all the action screws, if they are loose it can create problems. Also back off any scope mount plug screws. The ones on the top of the receiver. Often those can protrude into the action. Sometimes you just have to give it a quick sharp cycle, its not a action to be pussy footing around with.
you can pull the front mag plug to see if its loaded with rounds in the mag.
its pretty easy to strip it down also. Just be sure to use nice bits.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFbL0RpMACI

Thanks Mac, this looks like great advice. I’ll pop the tube off to double check the tube’s empty. I was a bit concerned about cranking too hard on the lever because I wasn’t sure if I would damage anything. I’ll check all the screws on the action and try a couple sharp cycles on that lever after work tomorrow. Again, I am very thankful for all the help, I will advise.

Thanks Mac, this looks like great advice. I’ll pop the tube off to double check the tube’s empty. I was a bit concerned about cranking too hard on the lever because I wasn’t sure if I would damage anything. I’ll check all the screws on the action and try a couple sharp cycles on that lever after work tomorrow. Again, I am very thankful for all the help, I will advise.
Dont go all bubbabruteforce now. Just a quick tug. My dads 336 was a finicky pos. Would also jam if you leaned it a little to the left side when cycling.
back off those scope base screw plugs and check your action screws 1st. Would not surprise me if loading gate screw is loose.
I know sometimes my dad took the stock off when it would lock up? Juzt dont remember why?
Funny gun , it would be fine all hunting season. Then it would act up.maybe just a change in humidity and temp was enough.

Last edited:
Dont go all bubbabruteforce now. Just a quick tug. My dads 336 was a finicky pos. Would also jam if you leaned it a little to the left side when cycling.
back off those scope base screw plugs and check your action screws 1st. Would not surprise me if loading gate screw is loose.
I know sometimes my dad took the stock off when it would lock up? Juzt dont remember why?
Funny gun , it would be fine all hunting season. Then it would act up.maybe just a change in humidity and temp was enough.
Ok, I will check all the screws to start and go from there. I plan to just back those scope base screws out and check the loading gate screw, and give it a try.

I had a 336 that would lock up when the loading gate screw got loose. It wasnt obviously loose unless you were trying to load it. It kept working itself loose every so often so I put a drop of lok tite on it and its been fine ever since.

check the loading gate screw, it happen to me before. I bought a used 336 in .35 rem and the loading gate screw backed off a little, but that was enough to jam the lever.

check the loading gate screw, it happen to me before. I bought a used 336 in .35 rem and the loading gate screw backed off a little, but that was enough to jam the lever.

This. Marlins are notorious for loosening screws......all of them. Check them all with a good fitting screwdriver.

If not Kroil or acetone/tranny oil mix the lever takedown screw and try to work free.

Whatever happened with this...I hate cliffhangers!!

For me, after determining it wasn't loaded I would just give the lever a few judicious whacks with a a piece of wood and mallet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom