Mass AK thread.

I must be the only one that prefers the thumbhole stock on the MAK90. I had one with a regular AK stock and pistol grip and did not like it as much as one with the standard thumbhole grip. I found the pistol grip too skinny to be comfortable shooting. But the thumbhole grip felt just right to me, I could shoot that all day.

As far as converting one to side folder, I would say you want a straight cut receiver for that.

I must be the only one that prefers the thumbhole stock on the MAK90. I had one with a regular AK stock and pistol grip and did not like it as much as one with the standard thumbhole grip. I found the pistol grip too skinny to be comfortable shooting. But the thumbhole grip felt just right to me, I could shoot that all day.

As far as converting one to side folder, I would say you want a straight cut receiver for that.
Crap, that’s the answer I feared but definitely needed to know about. I’ve already botched this thing once I’ll just leave it and save myself the trouble.

My favorite x39 rifle, and I've owned a lot of AKs and SKSs. Love those too, but SHTF = Vz58.
How is accuracy of your sample? I’ve read some say 4moa, some say 1moa and there was no clear consensus.

You are indeed the only person i know of who likes the mak 90 stock lol. As far as the receiver i have been eying this one. They claim it will work with the straight or slant cut. https://www.bonesteelarms.com/MAK-90-Galil-Style-Folding-Stock-FS-GL-MAK.htm

How is accuracy of your sample? I’ve read some say 4moa, some say 1moa and there was no clear consensus.

I'm not sure. I'm no precision shooter; I learned to shoot in the Army, and if I can put down a man or a deer at 150 meters that's all I really want to be able to do. My Vz hits 6" gongs at 100 meters with monotonous regularity. As long as I get 100% hits on that, I generally figure I'm doing well enough.

To be fair, my SKS can do the same. And so can my milled AK, but I've had AKs in the past (primarily underfolders) that I shot more poorly.

I'm not sure. I'm no precision shooter; I learned to shoot in the Army, and if I can put down a man or a deer at 150 meters that's all I really want to be able to do. My Vz hits 6" gongs at 100 meters with monotonous regularity. As long as I get 100% hits on that, I generally figure I'm doing well enough.

To be fair, my SKS can do the same. And so can my milled AK, but I've had AKs in the past (primarily underfolders) that I shot more poorly.
I have also found with folding stocks that you sometimes give up a little bit in the accuracy department.

Nice, I think my AK has a stamped receiver so even though its a slant cut that might work.

It will probably work but I'm thinking from a cosmetic standpoint it won't look as good. The slant is obvious when you take off the thumbhole stock and put something else on. I suppose a black stock would make it a bit less obvious though.

slantcut.png

It will probably work but I'm thinking from a cosmetic standpoint it won't look as good. The slant is obvious when you take off the thumbhole stock and put something else on. I suppose a black stock would make it a bit less obvious though.

slantcut.png

Rifle is fine. [smile]

So i am possibly looking for another ak or rifles that shoot either 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. Discounting the obvious Norinco's, i know there are a limited egyptian and hungarian models as well. Ive seen the M&M rifles that take ak mags but they seem to be problematic. Vepr's and saiga's are non existant. The few that are available are 2000+. Way to much to pay for an unconverted ak. I would love to get an arsenal but the few left in state are more than im willing to pay. With that said any other rifles come to mind that can be easily obtained in this shit hole state?

Just noticed 4 Seasons has a Norinco 84S-1 underfolder in 5.56 on their used gun page.

slantcut.png
Exactly the problem I had with my Arsenal furniture. It fit but there was a gap and I didn’t really want to add a potential point of failure.

Not even a terrible price for it either. Good eye.
C2971166-3803-4F36-BA01-66C9C5025CA1.jpeg
$2700 for a .223 Norinco underfolder?! You guys have a very different definition of “not a terrible price” than I do!

You can buy a VZ-58 for much less, and it’s 10x the rifle, has a military heritage, and mags are actually obtainable, unlike the 84s.

But if you must have a 223 AK, here is a much better option and you don’t have to go to the DTE:

Last edited:
$2700 for a .223 Norinco underfolder?! You guys have a very different definition of “not a terrible price” than I do!

You can buy a VZ-58 for much less, and it’s 10x the rifle, has a military heritage, and mags are actually obtainable, unlike the 84s.

But if you must have a 223 AK, here is a much better option and you don’t have to go to the DTE:

None of those are underfolders and some are even more $$. Apples to oranges.

Was in a bidding war for a brand new mak 90 which i am losing at $1575. Good grief. I paid $800 for my first one and $1100 for my second. The new mak 90's are obviously getting harder to find but damn. Auction ends in a few hours. Tough choice. I can wait and hope to find one cheaper, or i wait and they get more expensive. errrrr

Was in a bidding war for a brand new mak 90 which i am losing at $1575. Good grief. I paid $800 for my first one and $1100 for my second. The new mak 90's are obviously getting harder to find but damn. Auction ends in a few hours. Tough choice. I can wait and hope to find one cheaper, or i wait and they get more expensive. errrrr

Nothing is getting cheaper. Nothing.

They were hitting 1500+ before covid for decent ones, so thats not bad yet

You can find them cheaper if you're patient and hit the buy it now quickly.
I have been looking the past two weeks for a friend before i decided a couple days ago to go that route and i saw a few new ones going for 1400. The past two i saw have been upwards of 1500. All the buy it now rifles i saw that were NIB was all 1800+. In fact the same ones i saw 2 weeks ago are still there. Crazy how high ak's have gone.

They are fine rifles. I was holding out and not buying one because they were all expensive…until I found one on NES advertised by a good guy from whom I purchased a FAL in December. I decided to buy it and it was $1600 with two preban mags. I am pretty satisfied with the deal overall. Grab modern military while you can. But if you want to mix it up from MAK90 land there are options available.

Back
Top Bottom