Mass an Open Carry State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is always that chance..but I have OC'ed a bunch all around northern CT with 0 issues..and If I meet a cop/person who does not like it..well I am not gonna argue about the law..I will walk away..

There is always that chance..but I have OC'ed a bunch all around northern CT with 0 issues..and If I meet a cop/person who does not like it..well I am not gonna argue about the law..I will walk away..

I know the law, too. I know that here in MA, the chief of police can decide that I'm not suitable, revoke my LTC, and then come collect all of my guns and ammo. It has happened here in MA. As posted above, just ask Joe Landers.

Thanks for the responses. I OC all the time in Mass especially Boston but I'm on the job in uniform. I even OC if I have to stop by and pick up groceries on the way home but I'm still in uniform. I would never dream of OC in this state while in regular clothes. All set with that!!!!!

Thanks for the responses. I OC all the time in Mass especially Boston but I'm on the job in uniform. I even OC if I have to stop by and pick up groceries on the way home but I'm still in uniform. I would never dream of OC in this state while in regular clothes. All set with that!!!!!

If you are required to carry while on the job, it's comparing apples to oranges.

I've been hearing from people that Mass is an open carry state. I've never seen or read this anywhere. Can anyone confirm this with proof?

???????????????? [thinking]

Then why the F did you start this stupid thread? [rolleyes]

get a fake badge and hang it from your belt. no one will question you.

there was a fat dude walking around campus the other day with a leather jacket and white shirt. He had a gun and a badge on his belt. He wasnt driving a police car, but everyone just assumed he was a cop.

It wasn't the OP, I've met him, he isn't fat. He's actually a good guy. [grin]

I think the chance of someone calling the cops on you is little to none...but I guess it could happen..I have Open Carried countless times in Enfield, CT..right on border and filled with people from Mass...never once a call to 911...People really don't care..they truly don't....There is always a chance though..I had an encounter in Bloomfield, CT but the police were fine..asked for permit..never disarmed me and let me be on my way...CT/MASS are both liberal places..I don't that much of a difference in the people..

sean_penn_0.jpg

[hmmm]

Then why the F did you start this stupid thread? [rolleyes]

to piss u off.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

motivatorfc9d958d583c00c26b7ed1c09f03761677372f0e.jpg

motivatorcf357678097f3608289936b85735daf35a57c75c.jpg

I'd rather see open carry continue to be legal because that helps up protect guys like Landry and other who are hassled due to unintentional displaying or printing of their firearm. We lose open carry because of in-your-face activism, we lose the ability to protect guys like this in the future.

Agreed.

a permit issued in town A is valid in all the others ( no stupid town restrictions, like Boston and knife blade length).

True, but there's no pre-emption in Mass., so many municipalities have passed local laws that prohibit CCW in various places. There's a thread on it linked in my sigline, but I don't even know if these off limits places have signs of any kind.

Crazy thought here....but aren't you OC'ing while hunting?

Yes, but hunting comes with it's own set of bizarre laws to follow.

I won't be the one to try it, but I'll tell you one thing...plenty of cops open carry in my town while off duty. I know a few of them somewhat personally since they are clients where I work. To members of the town who don't know them; they obviously come off as looking like any other civilian (no badge anywhere in sight). I may question a few of them someday as to how they'd feel about a civilian open carrying the way they do while off duty.

With that said, perhaps it would be worth contacting your local C.O.P to get his view on the issue. If he says you're good to go with open carry then perhaps open carry IN YOUR TOWN would be okay, but I would much rather have a response in writing and even then I'd still be hesitant. I think we all can agree that concealed is always better anyway. Should you need to ever draw your firearm the element of surprise will be on your side.

True, but there's no pre-emption in Mass., so many municipalities have passed local laws that prohibit CCW in various places. There's a thread on it linked in my sigline, but I don't even know if these off limits places have signs of any kind.

Wow. Thanks for this. I don't know how many time's I've seen your post and never thought to click on that link!

Wow. Thanks for this. I don't know how many time's I've seen your post and never thought to click on that link!

No problem. Many of the penalties are petty fines, but violation of ordinances are arrestable in Mass. It would be interesting if people who live in those places could chime in and tell us if they have any kind of notification for those ordinances, or if you're just expected to spend countless hours poring over the ever-changing local laws.

I won't be the one to try it, but I'll tell you one thing...plenty of cops open carry in my town while off duty. I know a few of them somewhat personally since they are clients where I work. To members of the town who don't know them; they obviously come off as looking like any other civilian (no badge anywhere in sight). I may question a few of them someday as to how they'd feel about a civilian open carrying the way they do while off duty.

With that said, perhaps it would be worth contacting your local C.O.P to get his view on the issue. If he says you're good to go with open carry then perhaps open carry IN YOUR TOWN would be okay, but I would much rather have a response in writing and even then I'd still be hesitant. I think we all can agree that concealed is always better anyway. Should you need to ever draw your firearm the element of surprise will be on your side.

The only way I would do it in MA is if I was a personal friend of the issuing chief and I knew he wouldn't stab me in the back if someone called up the PD and "complained" about me open carrying. Even then, it still can be a pain in the ass. That lawyer who was OCing in springfield (while dressed in a suit, mind you) basically got his gun and LTC taken away from him temporarily with no cause. (He got his gun and LTC back, but it took awhile, IIRC).

-Mike

I just updated it too, looks like "no guns" signs may be enforcable by law in some towns...

The only way I would do it in MA is if I was a personal friend of the issuing chief and I knew he wouldn't stab me in the back if someone called up the PD and "complained" about me open carrying. Even then, it still can be a pain in the ass. That lawyer who was OCing in springfield (while dressed in a suit, mind you) basically got his gun and LTC taken away from him temporarily with no cause. (He got his gun and LTC back, but it took awhile, IIRC).

-Mike

If you're talking about Greg Shubert, he wasn't even open carrying, his cover garment opened wide enough for the cop to see his gun, similar to the guy in Dedham. IMO there was probably some backstory to his case (as a defense attorney, he probably ticked off a few local cops by getting people off or being unpleasant to them in court).

clowncar.jpg

It will take a court to rule on this matter for it to be solved most likely..same thing happened in CT (We have Suitability too)..a guy got arrested when his gun was exposed., permit taken, and gun taken...Judge dismissed charges..he got his permit back...Open carry made the front page of newspaper..most police realize its lawful and the simple act of openly carrying a handgun cannot affect "suitabilty" or constitute "breach of peace".....So in the end its probably going to take a judge to rule on the matter....

Actually, there is some in the terms of the "home rule" concept - town or city regulations that occupy space claimed by the state require a legislatively approved home rule petition - as was obtained for the Boston AW ban.

Who says he's a LEO? The OP says he OCs when "on the job." Never did say what his "job" is.

Taking some liberties and 'assuming' he is. When I read 'on job' and 'uniform', I guess that's where my mind jumps. I could be wrong, and hope I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom