• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass AWB question

JRLB

NES Member
It appears that chapter 140, section121 specifically names the Avtomat kalishnikov (AK) (all models) as assault weapons. Does that make an AK47, AK74, AK63, etc that was built from a parts kit illegal to own in mass even if it has less than 2 evil features?

AKs made from parts kits are perfectly legal as long as you:

1. neuter the thing so no folding stock, bayonet lug, flash hider.
2. pin/weld muzzle device.
3. FA-10 it.

So what does the AWB mean when referring to the weapons that are specifically named?

So what does the AWB mean when referring to the weapons that are specifically named?

nothing really. you just have to have the gun neutered so it has the right number of evil features.

if you're building it you have the option whether to do that or not. better yet if you roll your own AK receiver or mill your own AR receiver and still decided to FA-10 it you can come up with your own serial number such as DONKEYDICK001 or ****YOUMA69420, etc.

Thanks guys. I understand the whole 922r compliance and the neutering stuff. The question was really about why certain names were called out in the AWB and what the language means. I read through the whole AWB sticky and did a search, but couldn't find a good answer.

Thanks guys. I understand the whole 922r compliance and the neutering stuff. The question was really about why certain names were called out in the AWB and what the language means. I read through the whole AWB sticky and did a search, but couldn't find a good answer.

922r... lulz.

Oh, you mean things like this, that have been around for... like 4 years? [laugh]
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...AWB-quot-FAQ?p=2308589&viewfull=1#post2308589

Granted I still don't have a full interpretation for what the name ban doesn't matter, but that's always been accepted as such, even back when the feds had the ban.

-Mike

Thanks. I read through that and didn't see anything in regard to the name ban. So basically nobody really knows and it is being ignored?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Thanks. I read through that and didn't see anything in regard to the name ban. So basically nobody really knows and it is being ignored?

My understanding is the name ban is VERY specific and it only applied to the particular guns listed at the specific time. Basically when the fed AWB went into effect all of those guns listed stopped being imported/made, but many of them instantly were available again under a slightly different name with a configuration that complied to the ban.

-Mike

I wish there were like, stickies, and stuff that explained all this...

Grrrr!

Oh, you mean things like this, that have been around for... like 4 years? [laugh]
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...AWB-quot-FAQ?p=2308589&viewfull=1#post2308589

Granted I still don't have a full interpretation for what the name ban doesn't matter, but that's always been accepted as such, even back when the feds had the ban.

-Mike

My understanding is the name ban is VERY specific and it only applied to the particular guns listed at the specific time. Basically when the fed AWB went into effect all of those guns listed stopped being imported/made, but many of them instantly were available again under a slightly different name with a configuration that complied to the ban.

-Mike

Those were part of the importation ban, 1986 IIRC. And you are correct. As long as it doesn't have evil parts, it's legal to sell/buy/possess. They can't import any more with the specific names noted in 121 however.

Len I just like pushing your buttons. These threads are so predictable that I could write 100 of them and simply change the names.

Len I just like pushing your buttons. These threads are so predictable that I could write 100 of them and simply change the names.

Others do it for you!

My "Grrr" wasn't aimed at you . . . it was aimed at the fact that is futile for us to create stickies with useful info because damn near no one ever looks for them or at them!! It's hugely frustrating.

$0.02 two options:

1. If GOAL rewrote their info pages so they reflected the current state of affairs.

2. Create an indexed & searchable document that is more accessible than the current stickies.

I don't own an assault weapon.I own semi auto rifles. To start with I never assaulted anyone with my rifles,or have I used them as a weapon.I did kill a snake with my assault hammer.

AKs made from parts kits are perfectly legal as long as you:

1. neuter the thing so no folding stock, bayonet lug, flash hider.
2. pin/weld muzzle device.
3. FA-10 it.

What would one put on the FA-10 for model, etc.? I'm assuming it would not be wise to do "AK-47" since it still is in the name ban.

What would one put on the FA-10 for model, etc.? I'm assuming it would not be wise to do "AK-47" since it still is in the name ban.

I've never seen a parts kit that was called an "AK-47" in the ATF system or by the mfg.

Now that Kalishnakov will be mfg'ing in the USA I suppose there will be "AK-47's" for sale but even they don't use that as their model name/number. They use "US132" or something like that.

Last edited:
I've never seen a parts kit that was called an "AK-47" in the ATF system or by the mfg.

Now that Kalishnakov will be mfg'ing in the USA I suppose there will be "AK-47's" for sale but even they don't use that as their model name/number. They use "US132" or something like that.

Yeah I've seen Kalashnikov-USA use "132Z" and stuff, so I wouldn't worry about those (or WASR-10/63). I haven't really looked at AK receivers but I'm guessing there's probably some variance like that as well, sort of like how Anderson lowers are marked "AM-15" (presumably Anderson Manufacturing or the Bushmaster XM-15), I would think that the manufacturer would tweak name like that (Ruger's SR556, etc.). I just haven't looked at AK receivers to see what they name them. A quick search on Atlantic looks like at least some do something similar like "AAM-47UF."

Back
Top Bottom