• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Compliant Sig P365

Some people welcome their thumb safety overlords. LOL

I forget if it was this thread or another, but someone stated that it's either a thumb safety or a compound-bow-level trigger in order to be "Ass Compliant."

Before people get ahead of themselves like I did, you should maybe want to wait to shoot this thing before buying one. The trigger is good (assuming MA doesn't F it up), but the gun is so small that I have a hard time figuring out where to put by hands/fingers in order to get a consistent trigger pull. I have small hands too, so those with XL mitts may want to think twice. The P365 makes a Shield 9mm feel comparatively giant.

I don't regret buying mine, but I do think that the hype around it is possibly too much for the actual gun you get. The 10rd capacity in a subcompact size kind of temporarily erased my brain to the fact that this thing will handle like a subcompact (ie. not a fun gun for long shooting sessions).

Before people get ahead of themselves like I did, you should maybe want to wait to shoot this thing before buying one. The trigger is good (assuming MA doesn't F it up), but the gun is so small that I have a hard time figuring out where to put by hands/fingers in order to get a consistent trigger pull. I have small hands too, so those with XL mitts may want to think twice. The P365 makes a Shield 9mm feel comparatively giant.

I don't regret buying mine, but I do think that the hype around it is possibly too much for the actual gun you get. The 10rd capacity in a subcompact size kind of temporarily erased my brain to the fact that this thing will handle like a subcompact (ie. not a fun gun for long shooting sessions).

Hogue makes a nice rubber grip with a beavertail that slips onto the 365 and fattens it up a bit and makes it way more shootable. I have them on my Shield and love them. Very comfortable and I find I shoot way better with the Hogue grips on the gun.

Go to a "free" state and fondle one. I did. By accident, actually. (Not the fondling. I'm not Joe Biden. Accidentally found myself in a MO gun shop.). Feels better than my G43. Impressed.

Go to a "free" state and fondle one. I did. By accident, actually. (Not the fondling. I'm not Joe Biden. Accidentally found myself in a MO gun shop.). Feels better than my G43. Impressed.

It does feel great in hand. Very natural to present and shoot. Grip is textured exactly where you want it. The gun just feels "right" when you pick it up, and oddly doesn't feel as small as it actually is when just gripping it. However, fire a few boxes through it and you pick up on things that were't apparent in the store. The front strap is actually pretty decent size-wise, particularly with the pinky extended grip mag and the fact the trigger guard rides high. The design is drastically reduced in the rear strap though for compactness/concealability, so much so that the meaty part of my palm tends to engulf the bottom corner of the rear strap/mag. This lends to a pressure point in my hand while firing. I'm not sure if the Houge grip would counter this, as it seems to be a rear strap length issue (not width), but might be worth a shot. This also creates a problem for me for mag drops. I have to really open up my grip to clear the mag. That second one just might be my mutant short, but wide hands.

If you want to do a quick check for yourself on how the P365 will feel in hand go grab a Kahr PM9. The PM9 is a hair smaller than the P365 but feels identical. The amazing part is Sig made that gun a 10 + 1, while the Kahr is 7 + 1. If you can carry it with the 12 round mag you will find the grip issue almost becomes an afterthought. I have big hands and both the PM9 and the P365 are awkward in the hand without the finger extension on the PM9 or the 12 round mag. I’m sure somebody sells an extender for the Sig that doesn’t add a round for 10 round limit states.

If you want to do a quick check for yourself on how the P365 will feel in hand go grab a Kahr PM9. The PM9 is a hair smaller than the P365 but feels identical. The amazing part is Sig made that gun a 10 + 1, while the Kahr is 7 + 1. If you can carry it with the 12 round mag you will find the grip issue almost becomes an afterthought. I have big hands and both the PM9 and the P365 are awkward in the hand without the finger extension on the PM9 or the 12 round mag. I’m sure somebody sells an extender for the Sig that doesn’t add a round for 10 round limit states.

Definitely will give you an idea of show small it is, but the ergonomics are way different. P365 frontstrap to backstrap is narrower, but the width of the grip is a little wider on the P365 due to 1.5 stack. I can fit more fingers on the frontstrap of the P365 than the PM9 (like 2.5 on P365 vs barely 2 on the PM9). The sandpaper-like stippling of the P365 is initially more comfortable than the checker of the PM9 too. PM9 slide sits noticeably higher than P365 over the beaver tail.

That being said, I'm in the camp that likes Kahr pistols (you love em or hate em). PM9 is a solid gun, but you just can't beat 10+1 of the P365 in this size range.

thumbnail1_zpsm3tilnyl.jpeg

Definitely will give you an idea of show small it is, but the ergonomics are way different. P365 frontstrap to backstrap is narrower, but the width of the grip is a little wider on the P365 due to 1.5 stack. I can fit more fingers on the frontstrap of the P365 than the PM9 (like 2.5 on P365 vs barely 2 on the PM9). The sandpaper-like stippling of the P365 is initially more comfortable than the checker of the PM9 too. PM9 slide sits noticeably higher than P365 over the beaver tail.

That being said, I'm in the camp that likes Kahr pistols (you love em or hate em). PM9 is a solid gun, but you just can't beat 10+1 of the P365 in this size range.

thumbnail1_zpsm3tilnyl.jpeg

I have carried a PM9 every day for several years. I actually just bought the P365, I’ve only had it for a week. I’m working in Indy this week but I have a minituck waiting for me and I plan to carry this. It feels great, I love the gritty grip. I have only shot 200 rounds through it but it ran flawless except the first round lol. I’m excited to play with it some more this weekend.

Are you guys looking forward to a version with the safety? Or just any version of the P365 without paying a premium? Appears similar to when the P320 showed up in MA LGS and guys were buying the version with safety and rationalizing how great the safety is on these striker fired guns.
I kind of like having a safety on my p320. Just personal preference. Very easy to release safety when unholstering.

How about with the extended mag? It looks ridiculously small with the flush mag.

I use a rubber Hogue grip with my G42, have you tried that? Fills the hand and helps a lot.

I kind of like having a safety on my p320. Just personal preference. Very easy to release safety when unholstering.

I'm not against a safety per se, but I just don't want to have to learn a 3rd style of handgun. I'm familiar with decocker guns, my prefered style but selection isn't as good, and striker fired.

How about with the extended mag? It looks ridiculously small with the flush mag.

I use a rubber Hogue grip with my G42, have you tried that? Fills the hand and helps a lot.

All the extra mags I've purchased are pinky extended, but the front strap isn't the problem. The grip itself isn't too small in circumference. While it feels shorter front to back, the circumference is still probably similar to a shield because the P365 is 1.5 stack (meaning it's wider). It's how short the backstrap is on the pistol that is the problem. I might take some fine grit sandpaper to the bottom rear corner that touches my palm. Hogue grip might solve that problem too if it raises that part off my hand.

Sig Sauer trivia... I was poking around the Sig Sauer website the other day to see if a Mass-approved version might be in the works.
No luck with that but I think I know why they named this model the "365": it's a CC gun you will want to carry 365 days of the year.
Meaningless but I am a trivia buff.

Sig Sauer trivia... I was poking around the Sig Sauer website the other day to see if a Mass-approved version might be in the works.
No luck with that but I think I know why they named this model the "365": it's a CC gun you will want to carry 365 days of the year.
Meaningless but I am a trivia buff.
Sig has sent the 365 for compliance certification....whatever that means. Quite sure it will be on list in the spring.

What list? And does this list come out every spring? How do you know you are quite sure?
Last time at Sig store, I was told that they had started the process for compliance. The list is the list of MA compliant guns. Last year it seemed to update in the spring and fall. Of course, being Assachussetts, who knows....

Just got one with a December 1 born in date. It has the same safety mark and safety mention in the pamphlet.

Very impressed with it, cant wait to hit the range with it. Just wish it came with an extra mag floor plate, since the flush mag doesnt feel quite as right as the pinky one.

Just got one with a December 1 born in date. It has the same safety mark and safety mention in the pamphlet.

Very impressed with it, cant wait to hit the range with it. Just wish it came with an extra mag floor plate, since the flush mag doesn't feel quite as right as the pinky one.

This guy has a design on Shapeways for $12. Sure beats out $40-50 for a new mag.

SIG P365 - Large Extended Base Pad by TacticalDev on Shapeways

If you're not familiar with Shapeways, it is a 3D printing company that you can upload your designs to and sell. The designer gets a piece of the sale and Shapeways (they make it) gets a piece. The upshot is that you get a lot of unique thing that just don't otherwise exist. The only downside I can see is that this is still technically 3D printed Good enough for a floor plate, but not something I'd trust for anything that has a force/weight tolerance. Still though, these are not consumer 3D printers. These are super high grade industrial machines. Some even print metal.

On a completely separate note--check out these flat trigger: https://www.armorycraft.com/product-page/sig-p365-p229-flat-trigger

Nice I’ll check those out, after trying both mags I’ll definitely switch the flat one, just doesn’t fill as secure. That mat actually isn’t locking the slide back on last round.

The thing that had me worried is the primer drag:

Other than that, it’s a sweet gun, happy I managed to find one.

Attachments

• 80A67BA7-761D-4A71-8EC4-0C838E1DD636.jpeg
    80A67BA7-761D-4A71-8EC4-0C838E1DD636.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 30
Nice I’ll check those out, after trying both mags I’ll definitely switch the flat one, just doesn’t fill as secure. That mat actually isn’t locking the slide back on last round.

The thing that had me worried is the primer drag:

Other than that, it’s a sweet gun, happy I managed to find one.

Mine drags just as bad as yours. In fact, mine look almost like a keyhole. Apparently Sig quietly started chamfering the firing pin hole at battery (unsure of technical term for location, but the hole where the firing pin hits the primer) on some releases. Read that somewhere from someone who managed to break a firing pin with snap caps and dry fire only. Makes it sound like it was just a fraction of a MM off from dead center of the hole, and could also explain the weird "thud" sound this pistol makes on dry fire. There have also been three documented versions of the striker. Considering your born on date, I think you have all the final revisions.

Haven't had any last round lock issues. Check the follower maybe to ensure it is fully resetting after last round? Could be factory stiff or require a drop of lube. Could also just be how tiny the gun is and your grip. Gun does require a bit of break in in a few areas though. My slide stop wouldn't engage at first with just by thumb without a lot of effort. Works like a charm now.

Mine drags just as bad as yours. In fact, mine look almost like a keyhole. Apparently Sig quietly started chamfering the firing pin hole at battery (unsure of technical term for location, but the hole where the firing pin hits the primer) on some releases. Read that somewhere from someone who managed to break a firing pin with snap caps and dry fire only. Makes it sound like it was just a fraction of a MM off from dead center of the hole, and could also explain the weird "thud" sound this pistol makes on dry fire. There have also been three documented versions of the striker. Considering your born on date, I think you have all the final revisions.

Haven't had any last round lock issues. Check the follower maybe to ensure it is fully resetting after last round? Could be factory stiff or require a drop of lube. Could also just be how tiny the gun is and your grip. Gun does require a bit of break in in a few areas though. My slide stop wouldn't engage at first with just by thumb without a lot of effort. Works like a charm now.

What born on date is considered to have all of the latest updates?

What born on date is considered to have all of the latest updates?

Just an educated guess, but the first serious revision rolled out with the Xray sights around May of this year. That was to address the battery issues, broken strikers, spring issues, etc. Quiet changes were added (not considered a formal change) by mid to late summer including what some report as chamfered firing pin hole, so anything in the Fall and onward should be as new as it gets.

That being said, mine is first batch after the first revision and I've had no issues at all other than minor things that I would say are more break-in than anything else. However, I'm keeping my eye on that striker.

If you're paranoid, make sure the date is at least July/Aug. If you're not too worried about it, then just make sure they have Xray sights to signify you have the first revision at the very least. I think they used to use Siglights on the very first batch, so if you're being offered Siglights, pass on it.

Just an educated guess, but the first serious revision rolled out with the Xray sights around May of this year. That was to address the battery issues, broken strikers, spring issues, etc. Quiet changes were added (not considered a formal change) by mid to late summer including what some report as chamfered firing pin hole, so anything in the Fall and onward should be as new as it gets.

That being said, mine is first batch after the first revision and I've had no issues at all other than minor things that I would say are more break-in than anything else. However, I'm keeping my eye on that striker.

If you're paranoid, make sure the date is at least July/Aug. If you're not too worried about it, then just make sure they have Xray sights to signify you have the first revision at the very least. I think they used to use Siglights on the very first batch, so if you're being offered Siglights, pass on it.

Thank you. I have had zero issues with mine with about 300 rounds through it. I’ve only had it about three weeks. 13-NOV-18 born on date. I wasn’t home when I asked and had no way of knowing how long it was in the LGS. Upon checking the date it looks like I walked into the LGS about the same day it arrived from NH!

It actually stopped happening as I shot it more. I noticed like you said the gun was super tight, heck releasing the slide took both hands, but after a few shots it loosened up and got better. Ill be giving it a good clean and seeing how it goes, I was surprised at how accurate the gun is. Have you used the shapeway floor plate?

Im also thinking of getting a Vedder lighttuck holster, anyone have any experience with those?

It actually stopped happening as I shot it more. I noticed like you said the gun was super tight, heck releasing the slide took both hands, but after a few shots it loosened up and got better. Ill be giving it a good clean and seeing how it goes, I was surprised at how accurate the gun is. Have you used the shapeway floor plate?

Im also thinking of getting a Vedder lighttuck holster, anyone have any experience with those?

When do the mags get easier to load to capacity?!?

Thank you. I have had zero issues with mine with about 300 rounds through it. I’ve only had it about three weeks. 13-NOV-18 born on date. I wasn’t home when I asked and had no way of knowing how long it was in the LGS. Upon checking the date it looks like I walked into the LGS about the same day it arrived from NH!

Nice! I'm actually not 100% on
When do the mags get easier to load to capacity?!?

I've actually thought they were extremely easy to hand load from start. So much so that I wonder how long the springs will last. I have a couple clear ETS G19 (10 rd) mags that almost require a mallet for the last rounds. I specifically bought a maglula just for those mags.

Also to FV: Haven't tried those floor plates. Against better judgement (I hate money), I bought 3 pinky extension mags when I found some for $38. I keep the flush in my car safe for emergencies along with a Shield, BG380, and Kahr P9 mags. I carry the factory pinky mags.

Love the construction on this gun. Shake it and nothing makes noise. Slide doesn't wobble at all. Mags click in and eject with authority (when you hand doesn't get in the way).

Back
Top Bottom