• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass/NY/CA AWB Compliant AR-15 across state lines

Hello,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm not exactly sure what to search to get the information. I have a friend in Mass who used to live in NY, he purchased a Mass/NY/CA compliant AR-15 back when he lived in NY and left it at a friend's gun shop in upstate NY. He wants to sell it to me, since it's a long gun and it's compliant for MA, do we need to do anything special involving FFLs?

I'm under the impression he can just sell it to me and I can use the eFA10 to register it myself, is that correct?

Thanks!

If it is at the NY FFL, just have his FFL send it to your FFL, and that FFL will transfer it to you.

IIRC, you cannot purchase any firearm individual to individual across state lines - that's federal law. You could buy it from an out of state FFL, or do what Patron suggests.

Hello,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm not exactly sure what to search to get the information. I have a friend in Mass who used to live in NY, he purchased a Mass/NY/CA compliant AR-15 back when he lived in NY and left it at a friend's gun shop in upstate NY. He wants to sell it to me, since it's a long gun and it's compliant for MA, do we need to do anything special involving FFLs?

I'm under the impression he can just sell it to me and I can use the eFA10 to register it myself, is that correct?

Thanks!

Did he sell it to the ny FFL? Is he just storing it in Ny? Is he licensed in Ma?

If he's legal, can't he go get it from the FFL register it and sell it instate?

He didn't sell it to the FFL, it's just his friend who happens to own a LGS/FFL in NY (where he used to live) is holding onto it for him because he wasn't sure if he was going to move to MA or CA (hence why it has the bullet button). I'm pretty sure it's registered to him in NY, I am pretty sure he's licensed in MA as well. So, I guess he can just pick it up from his friend (the FFL/store) and bring it into MA himself and register, then sell it to me?

Edit: I guess, worst case I can just do FFL to FFL, but if he's going to be going back to NY anyway, I don't see the need to pay an FFL to transfer it.

I'm pretty sure it's registered to him in NY...

There is no long-gun registration in NY.

In fact, other than the AWB, long-guns are completely unregulated.

...I am pretty sure he's licensed in MA as well. So, I guess he can just pick it up from his friend (the FFL/store) and bring it into MA himself and register, then sell it to me?

Yes. If he is appropriately licensed in MA (minimum LTC-B), he can bring it into MA, submit a FA-10 (registration) within seven days, then transfer it to you FTF (via a separate FA-10).

Back
Top Bottom