• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Resident buying in GA

Hello all
I’m a Massachusetts resident and I wanted to know if I am legally able to buy a long gun in Georgia and keep it there. I’ve had to switch my official residency from Georgia to Mass due to school but have family that can store it in Georgia. I don’t have a mass gun license of any kind but will this prevent me from buying in Georgia? Thanks in advance.

Hello all
I’m a Massachusetts resident and I wanted to know if I am legally able to buy a long gun in Georgia and keep it there. I’ve had to switch my official residency from Georgia to Mass due to school but have family that can store it in Georgia. I don’t have a mass gun license of any kind but will this prevent me from buying in Georgia? Thanks in advance.

That’s a crazy a$$ question Maura.

Generic answer, you can buy a long gun out of state if it is legal for you to own in your home state. However it's ultimately up to the dealer to decide if they want to go through with it. Seeing as how MA is involved in the equation, don't be surprised if the dealer shows you the door.

Too bad your family members don't buy a gun for themselves and let you use it when you're down there.

I’m a Massachusetts resident and I wanted to know if I am legally able to buy a long gun in Georgia and keep it there. I’ve had to switch my official residency from Georgia to Mass due to school ...
It's a damned shame that you have no plans to ever reside in Georgia ever again.

Otherwise when you are residing in Georgia,
you could do whatever it is that Georgia residents do
when they buy long guns in Georgia.

Hello all
If you don't have a mass ltc and the gun stays in GA there is no law that says you can't have it on Georgia. However.....at a GA gun shop good luck getting them to sell you anything when you show them your mass drivers license.

Hello all
You're basically shit out of luck unless you can claim GA residency.

However.....at a GA gun shop good luck getting them to sell you anything when you show them your mass drivers license.
Not necessarily. My FIL has property in PA and can legally buy guns there, even though his driver's license if from NYC. A local store refused to sell him a rifle but had no problem selling it to me, a Mass resident. Go figure.

And yes, my FIL is still a little upset that I got the Henry he wanted for himself [laugh] He asks about how it shoots every time I talk to him [laugh]

Not necessarily. My FIL has property in PA and can legally buy guns there, even though his driver's license if from NYC. A local store refused to sell him a rifle but had no problem selling it to me, a Mass resident. Go figure.

And yes, my FIL is still a little upset that I got the Henry he wanted for himself [laugh] He asks about how it shoots every time I talk to him [laugh]

Did they check your FID/LTC though and add it to the paperwork?

The normal-state FFL is supposed to at least check for things like FID/LTC, even on a long gun purch. And in the OPs case he's basically screwed himself because he switched his residency to a shithole that doesn't allow ownership by default. So as far as gun shops are concerned he presents as an MA resident- with no legal authority to own anything. If he had kept his GA residency at least he'd still have the capability to buy stuff.

Some less vigorous shops would take just a DL but they could get whacked for a violation during an audit later on.

A local store refused to sell him a rifle but had no problem selling it to me, a Mass resident. Go figure.
Unsure whether it was the hat,
or the beverage.

22386.jpg

Back
Top Bottom