Mass Rifle (Woburn) vs Pelham Fish and Game

For those of you that have been to Mass Rifle in Woburn, can you tell me what you like/dislike about it? And if you've also been to Pelham Fish and Game, how it compares to that range?

Pelham Fish and Game is an outstanding range, but it a little too far for me. I live in Woburn, so Mass Rifle would be super convenient.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

I honestly can't speak about Woburn, as I was a member in the 80s. Pelham is pretty wide open as far as for regulations, no one standing over you like at Danvers

I've been a member of both over the years at different times and they are both are really good clubs. Pelham has much nicer outdoor ranges. MRA has much nicer indoor ranges. So I think it comes down to what and when you want to shoot.

Each range does have a few unique features. MRA ranges are overbuilt so you can't get anything out, which isn't entirely true and also makes sense based on the location. They also have a huge member base, most are pretty friendly and will let you try what they brought (if reciprocated). Pelham won't let you take pictures on the range. Most of the time it is pretty slow. The 600 yard range is really nice. The 200 meter range is really cool. Nothing beats the sand pits for shooting pistol/tactical rifle.

I've been a member of both over the years at different times and they are both are really good clubs. Pelham has much nicer outdoor ranges. MRA has much nicer indoor ranges. So I think it comes down to what and when you want to shoot.

Each range does have a few unique features. MRA ranges are overbuilt so you can't get anything out, which isn't entirely true and also makes sense based on the location. They also have a huge member base, most are pretty friendly and will let you try what they brought (if reciprocated). Pelham won't let you take pictures on the range. Most of the time it is pretty slow. The 600 yard range is really nice. The 200 meter range is really cool. Nothing beats the sand pits for shooting pistol/tactical rifle.

Thanks man. Appreciate the info. Think I'll see what the deal is for tours and check it out.

There are a lot of FUDD's at Mass Rifle?
Fudd central, only 50% of the place is usable, imho. People suck for the shit rules because they don't wamt to drive anywhere. This is the typical MA loop club dilemma. With few exceptions most loop clubs have annoying rules. So you have to balance that vs convenience factor. Most people are lazy so they just put up with it. "If you don't want to drive very far, you're only going to find restaurants that are all serving shit sandwiches" That's the loop club dilemma.

Read the rules and see if you can deal or not, then decide. For many folks a place like MRA is "good enough".

I honestly can't speak about Woburn, as I was a member in the 80s. Pelham is pretty wide open as far as for regulations, no one standing over you like at Danvers
For what it's worth, the last three times I've shot at Pelham I've had no less than two BOD members each range trip "check in on me" and recite the rules and regulations.

Since 2020 hit, they've gotten a lot more involved in shooters' business. BOD members are now patrolling on weekends looking for rules violations.

I did end up touring Mass Firearms in Woburn. I liked the facility. Rules could have been a bit looser but not a deal breaker. Put in an application. Wait list until end of January.....

Depends on what you're looking to do. I've been a member of MRA for over 10 years and for ME, it's fine or as another member said "good enough". Most of the time I go to the range (weekends) the ranges are mostly empty especially the rifle ranges. Not sure how true that is in today's world given all the new shooters but I've enjoyed many days on the Summa, Mclaughlin and Pope alone. Can't shoot steel, can't run and gun, can't do a lot of things, but the range is also surrounded by Rte.93 and 128 as well as other commercial and residential properties so there's reasons for that. Fudds? meh...maybe..but in my time there, I haven't come across anyone who gave me a hard time about how or what I was shooting. Follow the rules and the club will serve you well.

For what it's worth, the last three times I've shot at Pelham I've had no less than two BOD members each range trip "check in on me" and recite the rules and regulations.

Since 2020 hit, they've gotten a lot more involved in shooters' business. BOD members are now patrolling on weekends looking for rules violations.
They just recently said they want to toss at least 1 member a month out. Pelham is a great place. Follow rules and u will be fine. Show me a range in MA that let’s you kit up and shoot full auto (if u have it) and draw from the holster and shoot and move. That said, it’s a big boy range with big boy rules, just the way I like it. 👍🏻🇺🇸

They just recently said they want to toss at least 1 member a month out. Pelham is a great place. Follow rules and u will be fine. Show me a range in MA that let’s you kit up and shoot full auto (if u have it) and draw from the holster and shoot and move. That said, it’s a big boy range with big boy rules, just the way I like it. 👍🏻🇺🇸
Toss out as in "for the day" or as in "expel from membership?" My MA club does allow full auto, but not holster draw. However, they do let you see the rules ahead of time, which Pelham (at least when I joined) did not; so, you knew what you were getting into.

And I do follow the rules, it's just personally a drag that when you are visibly following the rules you get multiple people coming up to repeat those rules to you, and not always in tones that are "friendly." I don't think anything like it has ever happened at my club except one time where a guy went forward of the line during a cold range and five guys yelled at him, and another time where someone arrived to find someone shooting a target angled on the ground causing skips. In general, at my MA club, they assume you are responsible enough to follow the rules unless you demonstrate otherwise.

Neither my MA club nor Pelham are perfect; each offers good things and bad things. I haven't visited enough NH clubs to draw enough of a distinction between Pelham and others.

Challenge accepted! Mansfield F&G allows all of that as long as you are safe, have a MG license (to shoot MGs) and pass a MG test (keep the rounds on the berm, that's all).

Challenge accepted! Mansfield F&G allows all of that as long as you are safe, have a MG license (to shoot MGs) and pass a MG test (keep the rounds on the berm, that's all).
I’ve never been to Harvard, but they might have looser rules as well. Mansfield South Carolina?😂😂😂..it might as well be for me.😂😂. Are you in at Pelham now that u are in NH?

Toss out as in "for the day" or as in "expel from membership?" My MA club does allow full auto, but not holster draw. However, they do let you see the rules ahead of time, which Pelham (at least when I joined) did not; so, you knew what you were getting into.

And I do follow the rules, it's just personally a drag that when you are visibly following the rules you get multiple people coming up to repeat those rules to you, and not always in tones that are "friendly." I don't think anything like it has ever happened at my club except one time where a guy went forward of the line during a cold range and five guys yelled at him, and another time where someone arrived to find someone shooting a target angled on the ground causing skips. In general, at my MA club, they assume you are responsible enough to follow the rules unless you demonstrate otherwise.

Neither my MA club nor Pelham are perfect; each offers good things and bad things. I haven't visited enough NH clubs to draw enough of a distinction between Pelham and others.
My club in MA requires a RSO and special permission slip for full auto, but they let you. Sorry to hear u got jumped at Pelham. I have been noticing the range police driving by too. They have never said anything to me yet. Yes, gone as in gone and never to return. I’m sure part of it is a safety scare tactic. Unfortunately there are guys in the special kind of stupid class that fall into this category. It’s not for minor infractions I would think. I was a member of Woburn Sportsman and got sick of the old farts talking to me like I was their red headed step child if I put more than 10 rounds in a magazine. That, and thier 2 week ventilation project for the indoor range took 2 years😂😂.

I’ve never been to Harvard, but they might have looser rules as well. Mansfield South Carolina?😂😂😂..it might as well be for me.😂😂. Are you in at Pelham now that u are in NH?
Mansfield MA. I'm a life member, and I renewed for this year to be able to attend the grand opening of the new indoor range. Otherwise, I'm in NH most of the time and my guns are here as well, so it was basically a donation to the club by paying the 2020-21 fee (life members just pay the per capita operating cost).

I'm a member at Londonderry F&G, and once we sell the MA house and no longer have to trip down there to clean out stuff, I'll investigate Pelham. I am a bit apprehensive of Pelham based on things I've read here, but I know someone there in authority to give me the straight scoop. I was an RO at Braintree R&P for probably 10 yrs and of the ~40 ROs we had there were 2 or 3 that were well known to be total A-holes . . . I would never shoot there when they were on duty, so I don't want to deal with that anywhere else either. As an example, I taught probably ~100 people to take the Moon Island (Boston) test at BR&P. I had a new shooter student and the RO perched on my shoulder the entire time. The student was a natural, scored 296/300 with me and almost the same with BPD. I don't think we needed such close scrutiny.

Mansfield MA. I'm a life member, and I renewed for this year to be able to attend the grand opening of the new indoor range. Otherwise, I'm in NH most of the time and my guns are here as well, so it was basically a donation to the club by paying the 2020-21 fee (life members just pay the per capita operating cost).

I'm a member at Londonderry F&G, and once we sell the MA house and no longer have to trip down there to clean out stuff, I'll investigate Pelham. I am a bit apprehensive of Pelham based on things I've read here, but I know someone there in authority to give me the straight scoop. I was an RO at Braintree R&P for probably 10 yrs and of the ~40 ROs we had there were 2 or 3 that were well known to be total A-holes . . . I would never shoot there when they were on duty, so I don't want to deal with that anywhere else either. As an example, I taught probably ~100 people to take the Moon Island (Boston) test at BR&P. I had a new shooter student and the RO perched on my shoulder the entire time. The student was a natural, scored 296/300 with me and almost the same with BPD. I don't think we needed such close scrutiny.
I like Pelham a lot. You can basically do whatever you want in the action pits. It’s like any other Range when it comes to behavior. Act like a village idiot and get tossed. I like the fact that I can shoot out to 600 yds in the morning and kit up and shoot in the action pits in the afternoon. I’ve also had some great conversations with the staff there.👍🏻🇺🇸

Two of my three clubs allow that. The third does not allow full auto. The fourth is fudd central.

I like Pelham a lot. You can basically do whatever you want in the action pits. It’s like any other Range when it comes to behavior. Act like a village idiot and get tossed. I like the fact that I can shoot out to 600 yds in the morning and kit up and shoot in the action pits in the afternoon. I’ve also had some great conversations with the staff there.👍🏻🇺🇸
Do you shoot steel there? I have asked more than one BoD member about the process to get board approved steel per the rulebook and have never gotten a straight answer. I see people shooting steel in the action pits, so someone's approving it or else everyone is just breaking the rules.

I typically shoot paper/cardboard or clays placed on the berm, although, as I've mentioned, I've had to justify that the last few times I've shot there. I don't know if it's because I'm a younger guy, or what.

Do you shoot steel there? I have asked more than one BoD member about the process to get board approved steel per the rulebook and have never gotten a straight answer. I see people shooting steel in the action pits, so someone's approving it or else everyone is just breaking the rules.

I typically shoot paper/cardboard or clays placed on the berm, although, as I've mentioned, I've had to justify that the last few times I've shot there. I don't know if it's because I'm a younger guy, or what.
Yes, I shoot steel occasionally there. I like drilling close engagements and steel isn’t the best for that but the BoD approves anything as long as it’s not something u cut and welded yourself. If it’s a factory made product u should be fine. I mostly shoot paper. I try to train real world scenarios in the pits. Drawing from concealment, transitions, malfunctions, etc.

Yes, I shoot steel occasionally there. I like drilling close engagements and steel isn’t the best for that but the BoD approves anything as long as it’s not something u cut and welded yourself. If it’s a factory made product u should be fine. I mostly shoot paper. I try to train real world scenarios in the pits. Drawing from concealment, transitions, malfunctions, etc.
Is an email to the BOD sufficient, or do I need to go in person to a meeting or something? I have been hesitant to buy anything in the event it would not be approved; I did not want to potentially waste money. My MA club provides steel plates, so it hasn't been an issue.

Is an email to the BOD sufficient, or do I need to go in person to a meeting or something? I have been hesitant to buy anything in the event it would not be approved; I did not want to potentially waste money. My MA club provides steel plates, so it hasn't been an issue.
Just email them a copy of what you bought and that should be fine.

I just received an email last night clarifying range rules at the third club. Binary triggers are not allowed at that club.

Two of my three clubs allow that. The third does not allow full auto. The fourth is fudd central.

I belong to Pelham and Reading Rifle...they both have 600 yard ranges which you must qualify on before being allowed to use them. Biggest difference is that you can shoot the 600 in Reading anytime you want, Pelham the 600 is only open during events which I disagree with but it's not my option. You must qualify on the 200 meter range in Pelham also, but you can use that at your leisure...the silhouette range there is pretty awesome too.

The indoor range in Pelham is, from what I've been told, a dungeon. It's inside of a 100 year old building, no heat, no ac... Reading has a state-of-the-art indoor range and also allows you to shoot at 21 feet...something a lot of indoor ranges don't allow. The 21 foot line comes from a rule from the FBI that states that if you are encountered by an aggressor with a knife in his hand and your firearm is holstered, you cannot draw your firearm and come onto your target before the aggressor covers the 21 feet... Hence the 21 foot rule.

Both of these clubs will cost you between $200 to $250 per year in dues, however both offer the opportunity to join work parties where you can work off some of this dues.

Back
Top Bottom