• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass shooter: 0 Armed bystander: 1 Media: -1

Correction - actually it's there, but not top front and center like it would be if he were not stopped, and the fact that it was stopped by a mere civilian is buried in the article, and nowhere in the title. But, it is at least linked to a breaking news on the front page which does mention the good guy.

and the fact that it was stopped by a mere civilian is buried in the article,
Not for nothing but the third sentence in the CNN article is:
"Investigators believe the unidentified gunman, an adult man, was shot and killed by a lawfully armed 22-year-old man who "observed the shooting in progress," Ison said.

The shooter used a "long-gun rifle!"
That's a good point. I search the article: there is NO "assault" term used anywhere in the article! This is how you bury the story! If anyone tries to google for this story 2-3 months/years from now using terms like "assault weapon", this article will not show up in the searches!

That's a good point. I search the article: there is NO "assault" term used anywhere in the article! This is how you bury the story! If anyone tries to google for this story 2-3 months/years from now using terms like "assault weapon", this article will not show up in the searches!
The CNN's original link on the home page made reference to the good samaratin but that has been corrected.

I was just there a month ago. Glad I got out of there when I did. I coulda been a victim…or worse, the hero!

That mall is actually in one of the nicer parts of what I would call ‘old Indy’. The south and west sides of the city are older and the north and east are growing out like a weed with commies and purple hair lesbians.

Greenwood is where a few of the better gun shops are…in particular a place called ‘shoot point blank’ that’s not far from the mall. they’re in the process of changing the name though…for obvious reasons.

Here’s a link to the thread on the Indy local equivalent of NES Greenwood mall shooting

Last edited:
Think of how this story would make a would be BAD GUY SHOOTER feel if he was planning such an attack...

A would be bad guy would surely have reservations if he thought that he was going to get shot to death while carrying out his evil deeds.

If it's tough to think what a bad guy would feel - imagine YOU are the bad guy...

Any sensible person should be afraid of getting shot by a "good guy with a gun".

As long as good people CCW and have training - bad guys are less likely to carry out these sort of attacks.

I think this story and this good guy is going to be a huge deal for CCW rights.

If he is well spoken this man should go on TV and do some interviews.

Think of how this story would make a would be BAD GUY SHOOTER feel if he was planning such an attack...

A would be bad guy would surely have reservations if he thought that he was going to get shot to death while carrying out his evil deeds.

If it's tough to think what a bad guy would feel - imagine YOU are the bad guy...

Any sensible person should be afraid of getting shot by a "good guy with a gun".

As long as good people CCW and have training - bad guys are less likely to carry out these sort of attacks.

I think this story and this good guy is going to be a huge deal for CCW rights.

If he is well spoken this man should go on TV and do some interviews.
That doesn't track with the profile at all. First, a normal, healthy person doesn't shoot up a mall. Second, most shooters, when presented with resistance, either stop, turn the gun on themselves, or get shot.

A person planning an event like this knows this to be true and decides in advance how they expect it to go. For many, this seems to be an extended route to suicide.

All this is to say, increasing the general number of folks carying isn't as likely to prevent these events so much as it can reduce the number of innocents claimed a the shooter.

Greenwood is pretty tame. I lived there for two years. It's got its typical white people drug problems, but nothing crazy. Not a whole lot of ghetto trash comes down from Indy. It's actually a decent town if you like suburbs.

Not surprised a good guy with a gun was nearby. Even before they went CC, it was extremely easy to get a permit. Somewhere I still have the lifetime permit I got when I lived there.

that's the evolution of gun control. Long guns encompass other rifles like SKS, the Mosins, the lever actions. Basically, any weapon that might slow down a gun confiscator.

Soon semi auto pistols will be probably called "law enforcement tools", with the argument that nobody but a highly trained, professional, law enforcement officer needs to possess one.

that's the evolution of gun control. Long guns encompass other rifles like SKS, the Mosins, the lever actions. Basically, any weapon that might slow down a gun confiscator.

Soon semi auto pistols will be probably called "law enforcement tools", with the argument that nobody but a highly trained, professional, law enforcement officer needs to possess one.
Anything with a rifled barrel- any pistol, rifle or revolver are not supposed to be in a hands of untrained civilians.
And no shotguns with magazines/tubes neither. And no knives with blades longer than 3”.

Oooh!

The shooter used a "long-gun rifle!"

There's the new buzzword, I guess.

The Fox article quotes a cop who called it a "long rifle", so it's not completely obvious that the CNN article was being deceptive, and not just lazy and stupid.

"Simon Property Group, the parent company of Greenwood Park Mall and many others like it, stipulates in its code of conduct that “no weapons” are allowed at its shopping centers, though “exceptions to this code of conduct will be determined by local center management.”

Hmmm… wonder if the Good Samaritan will be charged with tresspass or banned for life from Simon Malls?

One lesson from this, if we needed it again, is that the news people will parrot whatever the cops tell them to say. "Lazy and stupid" indeed.

The media are reporting this good samaritan because the cops said unequivocally that there was a good samaritan. Usually, the cops are more mealy-mouthed about this sort of thing: "Well, we're still gathering information..."

The Fox article quotes a cop who called it a "long rifle", so it's not completely obvious that the CNN article was being deceptive, and not just lazy and stupid.

"Simon Property Group, the parent company of Greenwood Park Mall and many others like it, stipulates in its code of conduct that “no weapons” are allowed at its shopping centers, though “exceptions to this code of conduct will be determined by local center management.”

Hmmm… wonder if the Good Samaritan will be charged with tresspass or banned for life from Simon Malls?
Likely.

and yet, at the bottom they imply that you can buy a rifle in Indiana without a background check:

Washington Post said:
To buy a long gun in Indiana, a person must be 18 or older and present a valid ID. The state does not explicitly require those purchasing a long gun to submit to a background check, but it is required by federal law.

This reads like they believe the Federal background check is optional, or frequently ignored.

"Rifle with several magazines of ammunition" is what the local CoP is saying at this point. It's getting wide coverage nationally on TV this morning. The reporter on NBC is saying the locals are praising the Samaritan, but doesn't seem quite sure how to phrase it for the viewers.

Gotta be careful not to endorse self-help, after all...

And scanning comments in WaPo, there are many who decry "vigilantism" (what the anti-gun people use for "self-defense"), suggest it could have gone wrong with innocents killed (despite no cases supporting such a risk), etc. The anti-gun comments get far more Likes, as expected.

Evidence to the contrary will never convince anti-gunners that that CCW is not an accident waiting to happen - even if we have to wait decades…

Last edited:
Just heard a quick mention of this on NHNPR, good that they mention it, bad that it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Imagine if the MSM and the cult of progressivism in this country ever fully embraced and encouraged gun ownership, to the point where the clowns with Ukraine flags, blm and hate has no home here signs on there front lawn also had pro gun ownership signs to show everyone how virtuous they were? Scary shit.

and yet, at the bottom they imply that you can buy a rifle in Indiana without a background check:

This reads like they believe the Federal background check is optional, or frequently ignored.

They are sort of right but are obviously skewing things for their purposes. In IN, just like in many states, no background check is required. FTF is perfectly legal.

Of course then you get into that federal law bit of purchasing from an FFL or purchasing across state lines...

Ive seen comments on Twitter from leftists who are saying that this proves "a good guy with a gun" is a myth. Even though the Samaritan stopped the mass shooter, he was still able to kill 3 people. This is what they are going to hop on. I guess they would prefer only cops having the guns and stranding around for an hour.

Its amazing, Yet again, im not seeing any discussion on how to stop people from going off the rails. Yet more well its the guns fault. Lets not address the route causes. That doesnt make headlines i guess.

Back
Top Bottom