• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Sunday Hunting Bill making the rounds again

I like the Sunday ban because I don't hunt and I can hike without worrying about disturbing the hunters.

However, it must suck trying to squeeze in your hunting on Saturday and before work during the week
The Sunday hunting ban is a vestiage of MA having an official church. Despite claims to the contrary, MA law has historically merged certain religious practices into law - for example, restrictions on commerce on Sunday (relaxed in recent years). In NY it is illegal to sell alcohol during church house (before noon on Sunday).

Yeah I knew I would get flamed by the FUDDs, but my opinion stands. I don't care if they overturn it or not, just stating that I enjoy hiking on Sundays in the fall.

So me romping through the woods doesn't disturb hunting? Even in bow season? I always figured it would so I avoided doing it

Yeah I knew I would get flamed by the FUDDs, but my opinion stands. I don't care if they overturn it or not, just stating that I enjoy hiking on Sundays in the fall.

So me romping through the woods doesn't disturb hunting? Even in bow season? I always figured it would so I avoided doing it

As a hunter - I go out of my way to get out of the way so that doesn't happen. Frankly - if someone is hunting 100 yards from the parking lot then they should expect to get disturbed. You're not hiking where I'm hunting unless you're wearing waders, or Mucks at a minimum. So frolic in the woods to your hearts content. It's public land.

I like people walking through the woods....I see more deer. I just hate the antis that hike on land that license holders purchase ($5 fee in MA) and tell me I shouldn't be able to hunt there. If I should have to buy a license to hike with a gun, why can't hikers pay for land use as well. Just my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

And no I'm not against hikers...just the ones that can't respect how other people use the land

Call me whatever you want, butfudd ain't gonna cut it.

there are 10 months of other Sundays to hike and mountain bike. So only freedom for people who like to hike or mountain bike but no freedom for hunters....and I thought people here cherished everyone's freedoms. Oops....

I am against Sunday hunting. Let me have one day a week to hike with my wife and dog with no worries about hunters. Before anyone jumps that I am anti hunting, let me say that I am not. I hunt and I have six day a week to do it. Of course working nights really does help. I also would rather hunt during week less people out hunting.

I'm totally for sunday hunting... separation of church and state, work six days a week 730-530...

I wish all the hikers in the room would pay the poll tax too, and stop harping on how safe they have to feel during hunting season... your statistically more likely to be attacked by a bear and get hit by a meteor on the same day than to be shot while ... hiking. You should hike midweek..ya know, when there's less people.

It must be hell hiding in your house all year for fear of being killed by an automobile while walking to the store for a gallon of milk... JC

You do you... I'll do me. simple.

(and before it starts...sarcasm).

Last edited:
I am against Sunday hunting. Let me have one day a week to hike with my wife and dog with no worries about hunters. Before anyone jumps that I am anti hunting, let me say that I am not. I hunt and I have six day a week to do it. Of course working nights really does help. I also would rather hunt during week less people out hunting.
But theres only about a dozen or so hunting Sundays its not a huge number. Also being hunting areas are so restricted the imposition on hikers is minimal. Most hunting is not done on hiking trails so that further lessens the impact. In all , hunting on Sunday in the modern world should allowed on Sunday. In the end the chances are almost inconsequential of a hiker being hurt by a hunter as said before.

Back
Top Bottom