Massachusetts Bill HD.4420 "An act to modernize gun Laws"

the problem for republicans (and to an extent moderate dems) is that this is coming from young people themselves, primarily but not exclusively in urban areas. that's how entire states get captured, and from observation, it's also a pretty intolerant movement not necessarily concerned with your civil rights.

demographics is not necessarily destiny, but massgop essentially operating out of a phone booth can happen elsewhere with time.
What's a phone booth.................kidding, just hear a lot of that crap on here.

Dear C,

I deeply appreciate that you have contacted me with your issues and concerns related to guns in our Commonwealth.

First and foremost, I want to share my general position on this topic. I signed on to this recent open letter published in the Boston Globe calling on Congress to enact a ban on assault-style weapons, similar to the laws we have here in Massachusetts. Please help me understand how this proposed over reaching legislation will prevent any gun violence in the Commonwealth, as you, by your statement, have openly admitted that our current Gun Laws in Massachusetts are working. Gun violence continues to plague our country with shootings now being the leading cause of death for children in America. Please help me understand this statement and provide me with the appropriate information and context required to understand what you are implying. From the statistical information that I have seen Accidents are the leading cause of death for children in America. Without providing any age range it is not clear how this is being presented. Massachusetts Representatives are proposing legislation within the Commonwealth and not the entire country. The public’s access to military style assault weapons and large-capacity ammunition magazines is deadly to law enforcement officers and the public. Please help me understand how law abiding gun owners in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts creating deadly situations to law enforcement officers and the public? These present-day military style assault weapons are the culprit in many mass shootings and are designed to kill as many people as possible without needing to reload. Again context and the appropriate information are required as I am not aware of any weapon owned by civilians, or military for that matter, that does not need to be reloaded. How many mass shootings have been performed in the Commonwealth by law abiding gun owners? The safety of my constituents and our Commonwealth is my priority, and this ban will save lives and not infringe on law-abiding citizens’ rights. Please help me understand these comments as yourself, constituents and staff are protected by the Massachusetts State Police at every entrance and other areas. Sadly this same protection is not afforded to your constituents and eliminating a law abiding citizens' ability to protect themselves. Unfortunately the entire document in question infringes on law-abiding citizens' rights and as a law-abiding citizen it is extremely disturbing that "leadership" in the Commonwealth is focused on turning law-abiding gun owners into felons with the swoop of a pen. I would hope we agree that even minority groups have rights and are protected by the Bill of Rights.

Representative Mike Day filed HD4420 as a result of his many listening sessions across the Commonwealth in consideration of the multiple gun safety bills filed this session. To address your concerns specifically on HD4420, I want to first explain where this language is in the legislative process. HD4420 is a docket number (HD) and is on Step 2 of 13 of “How a Bill Becomes a Law”, I have attached a copy of “the steps” to help you understand the process and progression of a bill. This bill is still awaiting committee assignment before it can have a hearing. I will notify you when the bill is assigned to a committee and the public hearing date is set.
As your State Representative, Registered Nurse, mother, and grandmother. I want you to know how important gun safety is to me. I am committed to listening to you throughout the legislative process. If you have any further questions, concerns, or would like to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to my office.

Yours in service,.

Denise

It's ironic that crime and mental health, the main issues of "gun violence", continue to be ignored and swept under the carpet. I look forward to your response and am hopeful that context will be provided in order to further our dialogue.

The leftist antis have always stated the 2A covered muskets only. They care little about the context of right to bear arms. So when the bill get called act to modernize gun laws they are showing exactly that they believe the 2A was for colonial times only. Now they will try to convince us that its just house keeping....kinda like the Grinch telling little Cindy he was only taking her tree for repairs.

It's ironic that crime and mental health, the main issues of "gun violence", continue to be ignored and swept under the carpet. I look forward to your response and am hopeful that context will be provided in order to further our dialogue.
Be careful trying to link “mental health” to violence. Most people who are mentally ill are not a danger to themselves or others. I’m on board with more funding for DMH and DPH.

Here’s a gem of a quote from a shooting that just happened in Boston.

“We’re doing all we can to combat gun violence but I implore folks – if you have guns in your homes, particularly illegal or whatever, turn them into us, let us know what we can do to take those off your hands. These guns on the street cause damage – simple as that.”

Like gang bangers with illegal guns would turn them in…ok buddy. Big push in MA to take all guns legally owned included.

Be careful trying to link “mental health” to violence. Most people who are mentally ill are not a danger to themselves or others. I’m on board with more funding for DMH and DPH.

I understand that, unfortunately the other side inflates the statistics by including it in them without distinction (i.e. suicide).

I understand what you are saying, but mental health is a major factor.

But none of that matters because they state the reason for gun violence is licensed gun owners. If they can blame gun violence on a group of people that have been vetted by the state and federal governments as not being violent, I can make generalizations also.

If their chiefs do not make a public statement opposing this bill then they should be out on their ass. Go train in Rep. Day's backyard!

🐯
This - every club should put pressure on the police to reject this monstrosity to the point of forcing individual officers to comply with any laws including magazine capacities at the range.

This - every club should put pressure on the police to reject this monstrosity to the point of forcing individual officers to comply with any laws including magazine capacities at the range.
I am currently wiring a police station that’s occupied. I brought the bill up to two officers working a detail for me.

They had no idea about it.

My email to my Rep who's a co-sponsor of the Bill

"Obviously you didn't read the SCOTUS decision last year, Bruen vs NYC or you just don't care. The outrageous and illegal anti-gun bill you are sponsoring is a direct attack on law abiding citizens of this State. How you justify this bill is beyond me. You know this bill will be challenged by GOAL, the NRA, GOA, FPC and every other 2A organization and will result in Politicians like you wasting Millions of the taxpayers dollars in court battles which will result in this bill's defeat.
Here's a little suggestion from a Veteran who's been to a few Civil Wars, lock up the frequent violent offenders who use illegal firearms to wreak havoc in their cities and neighborhoods and stop harassing law abiding citizens. Since I know you hate citizens like me, and the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, if this bill passes we will see you in court."
The angle of how much of taxpayer money will be pissed away can't be overstated.
We can and will be keeping score and making it public.

Her reply, basically a big nothing with no commitments either way, and she's a sponsor.

"Thank you for your advocacy and for sharing your concerns about HD4420. You can follow the bill’s movement in the MA Legislature here: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/193/HD4420/BillHistory. I will continue to advocate for this bill to be assigned Committee and scheduled for a public hearing. Once that is scheduled, I’m happy to share the ways to participate (in person, virtually, or through written testimony to the Committee), and please let me know if you have any questions about the process. I’m glad that Leominster residents continue to have the option of participating remotely through the virtual hearing, which has allowed a great number of Leominster residents to participate directly in the Committee process."

All the best,
That sure is a purty way of saying GFYS ,I don't give a shit about you or your constitutional rights

Most people in general are not a danger to themselves or others.
However, those who are a danger to themselves or others disproportionately suffer from mental health issues.
Either way, making it easier to accesseffective mental healthcare is a better spending option than putting otherwise lawful citizens in jail and/or bankruptcy .

I am currently wiring a police station that’s occupied. I brought the bill up to two officers working a detail for me.

I understand it's the upper levels that are pushing the political agenda but it's the rank and file that are going to put us in jail to protect their pensions.

I'm not surprised. Id also bet that a lot of LEO's that do know aren't to worried because they're assuming there will be a last minute exemption for them if this does pass.

I'm not surprised. Id also bet that a lot of LEO's that do know aren't to worried because they're assuming there will be a last minute exemption for them if this does pass.
They may be surprised .
The libs hate them as much as they hate us.
If you talk to any L.E. don't be shy about reminding them that most of this comes from the same " Defund the police "A-holes.

So the Bruen decision means nothing???

That supreme court ruling seems to be making things worse rather than better. :mad:

When I said it would have no real impact and would be ignored just the same as the other SCOTUS gun rulings, I was told I was wrong, and somehow this one would be different. People don’t learn.

I would definitely propose shutting the officers out for official training. Put more pressure on government regardless. It'll trickle up

Back
Top Bottom