• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Bill HD.4420 "An act to modernize gun Laws"

Last edited:
Oh, one more thought on that letter from the Massachuse;s Chiefs of Police Association. What it makes crystal clear is that the listening tour was 100% Grade A bullshit and that maybe those who oppose and maybe even some late co-sponsors can work up a proper awareness of 'you're a lying dog who lies there lying' for Mr. Day.

Not sure if this is an update
From the link:
"Half of the House will gather Monday afternoon, and the other half will convene Tuesday morning, to hear a summary of the bill from Day and other top House Democrats."

I have a better idea. Read the f***ing thing yourselves. While reading, keep in mind that Day expects gun owners to read, understand and comply with the BS contained within. And these a**h***s get paid for this, too.

From the link:
"Half of the House will gather Monday afternoon, and the other half will convene Tuesday morning, to hear a summary of the bill from Day and other top House Democrats."

I have a better idea. Read the f***ing thing yourselves. While reading, keep in mind that Day expects gun owners to read, understand and comply with the BS contained within. And these a**h***s get paid for this, too.
Not to mention he’s apparently going around misrepresenting the bill that he had no part in drafting. I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t read it fully.

Last edited:
All Chiefs and Officers noted a significant threat to Officer safety in proposed Section 173 (5) stating:
“This section shall not apply to a Law Enforcement Officer while in the performance of their Official
Duties, or a Security Guard employed by the prohibited area while at the location of their employment
and during the course of their employment.”
This Section PROHIBITS legally licensed off-duty and Retired Police Officers, Corrections Officers, Court
Personnel, Private Security Bodyguard Personnel, and other Federal and State personnel who carry a
firearm for personal protection due to the nature of their profession and the associated risk and threat
to their safety. This Bill, in effect, eliminates the nation-wide, time-tested common term and practice
“OFF-DUTY Firearm.” This Section is a direct threat to the safety of Police Officers and the noted similar
groups. It also eliminates a huge pool of potential immediate First Responders to a violent shooting
threat or event. This Section will show NO impact on preventing crime, as it in fact HOBBLES Law
Enforcement and First Responders, and EMPOWERS those with violent criminal intent. The “Law”
selects their targets for them.

How about just eliminating it for everyone, not just "legally licensed off-duty and Retired Police Officers, Corrections Officers, Court
Personnel, Private Security Bodyguard Personnel, and other Federal and State personnel who carry a
firearm for personal protection due to the nature of their profession and the associated risk and threat
to their safety"?

Doesn't the public in general have "an associated risk and threat to their safety", EXACTLY the same as the previously described group?

Interesting read from the mass cheif of police association kinda rejects the new prohibited carry areas among other things
I am surprised they did not only write about LE carry stuff but actually rips the whole bill.

This should be sent to all reps along with our opinions on the bill.

I am surprised they did not only write about LE carry stuff but actually rips the whole bill.

Well there is nothing in the bill that actually does anything useful for them other than make the job more annoying. It's not like existing MA laws are lacking in things to harass gun owners with to begin with.

This should now be added to emails to reps we like to help them make their case, and, we should be reaching out, again, to those who said they support the bill to make sure they know clearly that not only do the Chiefs not support it, but we know the Chiefs don't support it. Sure wouldn't hurt if the press got some of this to them either.
Resent emails to the Public Safety Committee, Mariano and Spilka. The only one I've heard back from is Marcus Vaughn and he's not even my rep. He strongly opposes this infrimgement, as he put it. Calls to go out Monday as follow up.

I hope it passes with no off-duty police exemption. I can’t wait for the first time someone calls 911 because they see what turns out to be an off duty cop carrying, and then the cops show up and send him on his way as a courtesy while some Karen films it, and then the cops who let him go get suspended or fired. Make sure your union sends more money to the democrats.
Sadly I suspect once the bill is amended to exempt police from all of it , all objections will go away.

A large part of the anti-gun rhetoric is stoked by how batshit #$%^&*ing crazy and evil many of the most vocal and visible advocates of 2A come across. Sorry, but this is true. Constant talk of overthrowing a tyrannical government, prepping for the boogaloo, dog-whistling Nazi-isms, religious extremist viewpoints. All of this scares the $%^& out of the middle and the left and gives them ammunition to sell the idea they must limit our basic rights. (In fact, some among the left have been driven to purchase firearms out of fear of those very pro 2A folks who spew that stuff. The whole dynamic is toxic and polarizing.)

The "pry it from my cold dead hand' firebrand rhetoric may galvanize the base but the base doesn't need more galvanizing and it undermines any mechanism of rational argument. If the Pro 2A folks can't learn to find more palatable spokespeople and make 'Hey, he's kind of like me and my family" arguments, this will not end well. Politics includes (is sometimes primarily) marketing. If we in MA want to successfully advocate against this bill, we must find a way to present ourselves as (and maybe try being) the "cooler heads".

(And, yep, I know I'll get flamed for this and, in that flaming, my point will be proven.)

the left also wants to overthrow the government we have historically had as created by the founding fathers. Where we just rant about it, they are doing it.

If people in the middle cannot see what is happening to their standard of living, can't see their rights being eroded, and can't see that this slow erosion not only affects them, but will affect their children as well; then the people in the middle are either stupid or pussies.

Like FBI, CIA, FAA, FCC?
I think those are initialisms?

acronyms are spoken as a word like FOMO (fear of missing out)
Edit: NASA is a good one since that's a gov. agency

though I have heard the word "Fibby" before in reference to FBI

maybe the others have equivalents as well..

the Chief and firearms officer in my town is very pro 2A. I'm going to take a trip downtown to hear what they have to say about this.
Good!
I wouldn't bring it up.
Sometimes not talking about it is best.
Wrong.
It would be nice if there was a group to steer them to. Maybe something like Mass Police Chiefs Against Gun Control MPCAGC. They seem to love acronyms.

What about the idea in general? Think it would be good to have something to tie like-minded chiefs and/or officers together?

See below.

YES!

MCOPA Summary of HD.4420
https://www.goal.org/resources/Mass...TxPC_Su11ilWV0syAhC4TmCicTdxjUyDOeC5XUXvk9X20
I just sent this to my two rep's and asked them to be sure and read the Conclusion on the last two pages. I urge everyone to do the same....
Looks like they found the fortitude within their own original group to oppose this document (it is not a bill yet).
Imagine that. Let's hope they don't fall for the old exemption trick, to throw the rest of us under the bus. Some of the wording in there sounds like they won't, but if it gets offered, I wonder who will say OK to that first.

I can't find it right now, but I said it several times in here and was poo-poohed when I said most local police are indeed on our side.

Last edited:

yep, I added the link to my previous email, then added a statement to the fact that I agree with MCOPAs concerns with the bill.
click. resent.

not that my rep GAF, he's listed as a cosponsor.

I just got off the phone with Zach from Rep. John Rogers office, a very good 20 minute phone call. He said they are going through the bill and are trying to understand it and how it will impact people.
They have been getting phone calls and emails. Two of the points I touched on are the "safe Storage" and how ambiguous the wording "all but the most persistent of" attacks. What does that mean?
AND then the serialization of magazines clips and strips and I explained for him what they are. Also compared putting serial numbers on magazines especially collector mags to an unopened pack of baseball cards, having to open them and then put serial numbers on them. it will destroy the value of wrapped mags. ALSO the COST to the state to set up and entire agency to serial number and then stamp them on the mags clips and strips. I am sending him the attached synopsis to his email as it may help them understand the bill.
There are probably 10 million magazine’s out in Massachusetts now, how are they going to get this done ???

My email

Good evening,

Please review the link below which contains the official stance of the Massachusetts Chief Of Police Association regarding HD.4420 An Act Modernizing Firearms Laws. I’ve copied and pasted associations conclusion in the body of this email for your convenience. And added the link at the bottom of my email. In short, Massachusetts’s finest oppose this legislation that will have little effect on crime and hinder the commonwealth’s ability to put real criminals in jail.

(Copy-paste conclusion and attach or paste link to PDF)

Hopefully, the libs beloved god-like police opposing this will make them a little bit nervous about passing it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom