• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts predator hunters?

I was actually thinking of really going after coyotes for the rest of the season. I’ve only gone out 3-4 times for them and haven’t seen anything.

Does anyone have any tips for terrain type, time of day to hunt, and scouting? I always see videos of them out in open areas but i didn’t know if here in the Northeast they stick to timber.

My buddy keeps the guts from his field dressed deer and he uses them along with fish he catches as well as some occasional road kill to make what he calls yote-sicles.
He augers most of the way through the ice on the pond near his house and fills the hole with the guts and what not and lets water cover it over and let's it freeze.
When the coyotes come at night to lick and gnaw at the gut-sickles he shoots them from about 50 yards away at the portable shooting table he has setup behind a blind.

I was actually thinking of really going after coyotes for the rest of the season. I’ve only gone out 3-4 times for them and haven’t seen anything.

Does anyone have any tips for terrain type, time of day to hunt, and scouting? I always see videos of them out in open areas but i didn’t know if here in the Northeast they stick to timber.
Find some sign. They like to poop on trails and seem to prefer a prominent rock to leave their droppings on. The recent snow has been getting blown about, so any clean tracks you find should be recent. Be quiet during your approach and mind the wind. They will typically circle downwind before coming into a call. In dense cover, 30-40 yards is where I often see them. If you're hunting during the day, using a decoy like the Mojo Critter, in combination with an e-caller, can help keep their attention away from you.

This time of year (mating season), they respond eagerly to communicative calls. Not that prey distress calls won't work, but it's easy get them pissed off if they think their territory has been invaded. It's pretty cool when you can get them to bark back at you after using a mouth call. In thick cover/dense woods, they've come so close I could hear them sniffing.

This next weather pattern will have a lot of wind and some snow. Right after the wind dies down is when I'd head out. I have had them come in at noon, but more readily when it's dark out. We have a waxing moon now, so any clear skies will light up the place at night. While it's nice to be able to see, I notice a drop off in activity when there's a lot of moonlight. I prefer night hunting under overcast skies if there's any moonlight. But you go when you can.

Find some sign. They like to poop on trails and seem to prefer a prominent rock to leave their droppings on. The recent snow has been getting blown about, so any clean tracks you find should be recent. Be quiet during your approach and mind the wind. They will typically circle downwind before coming into a call. In dense cover, 30-40 yards is where I often see them. If you're hunting during the day, using a decoy like the Mojo Critter, in combination with an e-caller, can help keep their attention away from you.

This time of year (mating season), they respond eagerly to communicative calls. Not that prey distress calls won't work, but it's easy get them pissed off if they think their territory has been invaded. It's pretty cool when you can get them to bark back at you after using a mouth call. In thick cover/dense woods, they've come so close I could hear them sniffing.

This next weather pattern will have a lot of wind and some snow. Right after the wind dies down is when I'd head out. I have had them come in at noon, but more readily when it's dark out. We have a waxing moon now, so any clear skies will light up the place at night. While it's nice to be able to see, I notice a drop off in activity when there's a lot of moonlight. I prefer night hunting under overcast skies if there's any moonlight. But you go when you can.
Thanks man this is helpful. Do you use thermal / night vision at all?

Thanks man this is helpful. Do you use thermal / night vision at all?
Yes, thermal scanner and thermal sight for night hunting. You can get by with moonlight under clear skies and a full moon, assuming you've observed coyote behavior enough that you could positively identify them. Much easier to do over a bait site.

I need to get out some night with a full moon.
We have tons of yotes around us.

I was surprised to see that you can hunt them with dogs in MA except during deer season...

I
Slow start for me. I hunt coyote in my area but don't travel to hunt. There has been very little sign of them, so I haven't done any stands. This Monday evening is looking good if the wind holds off before the snow comes.
Are coyotes legal to hunt year round

Find game trails and you will see yotes. I've watched them in timber plenty of times and they are walking the game trails. Thinking about this I don't think I have ever seen them when they weren't following a game trail.

Back
Top Bottom