• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Reciprocity

MA will never willingly reciprocate with any other state. Unless a federal court forces them to do it, which I doubt is going to happen anytime soon.
It will take YEARS for Massachusetts to change its laws regarding carrying outside the home or grant reciprocity with any other state.

With regard to the recent SCOTUS decision, here's a likely scenario:
A LTC candidate gets restricted.
  • Candidate sues the licensing authority
  • State represents the licensing authority
  • State gets repeated postponements from sympathetic Massachusetts judges.
  • Either candidate or state eventually loses. Appeal process begins.
  • More delays, postponements, motions to dismiss, other legal bulls**t ensues.
  • Case goes to Federal court. More delays.
  • Candidate eventually prevails based on the SCOTUS decision.
Reciprocity is whole other issue for which there is no precedent I am aware of. And with AG Healy as the presumptive next governer things are going to get even worse.

Why didn't we get national reciprocity when Trump was in office and Republicans had all three branches of government in the bag?

Because natrep was designed to fail to begin with, it really is just an implausible shiny carrot the NRA kept dangling to get money and make their annointed pols look like they were doing
something for gun owners. Natrep is a sham, really.

It will take YEARS for Massachusetts to change its laws regarding carrying outside the home or grant reciprocity with any other state.

With regard to the recent SCOTUS decision, here's a likely scenario:
A LTC candidate gets restricted.
  • Candidate sues the licensing authority
  • State represents the licensing authority
  • State gets repeated postponements from sympathetic Massachusetts judges.
  • Either candidate or state eventually loses. Appeal process begins.
  • More delays, postponements, motions to dismiss, other legal bulls**t ensues.
  • Case goes to Federal court. More delays.
  • Candidate eventually prevails based on the SCOTUS decision.
Reciprocity is whole other issue for which there is no precedent I am aware of. And with AG Healy as the presumptive next governer things are going to get even worse.

Meh, per the other comm2a posts on this I think some of this is coming sooner than you think. (EG, restrictions are basically done/going away in MIRCS, other obstructionism, not sure) .

See also:

I am sure that the 110% incontrovertibly dog shit places like Brookline are probably going to have to be taken to court over obstructionism.

Reciprocity IMO isnt really within the scope of the ruling, although something downstream could affect it.

MGL already (since 1998 GCA) states that the AG is to publish a list each year of states that MA reciprocates with. It's the same invisible list as the AG's "list" of approved handguns (that MGL also states the AG is supposed to publish).

Sorry, but this is not going to change unless some further USSC action demands it and even then, only with further courts ordering MA to comply!

Reciprocity IMO isnt really within the scope of the ruling, although something downstream could affect it.
Sorry, but this is not going to change unless some further USSC action demands it and even then, only with further courts ordering MA to comply!
Right. Like when NY, CA, and MA keep screwing around and SCOTUS claps back:
6l8xcp.jpg

Why didn't we get national reciprocity when Trump was in office and Republicans had all three branches of government in the bag?
Why are you even concerned with national reciprocity when issuance of LTCs within the state of MA are so screwed up?

Almost half the states in the country honor MA LTCs and that number will surely be growing.

You need to concern yourself with removing the authority of the issuance of licenses from the jurisdiction of the chiefs of police in MA.

And it's clear that the 6 members that voted in our favor last week are NOT saying that Constitutional Carry is a right. I know that's scary, but the court is NOT ready to tackle that question in 2022. Maybe in 2042.

Why are you even concerned with national reciprocity when issuance of LTCs within the state of MA are so screwed up?

Almost half the states in the country honor MA LTCs and that number will surely be growing.

You need to concern yourself with removing the authority of the issuance of licenses from the jurisdiction of the chiefs of police in MA.
Cause it would be great to finally be able to carry while visiting NYC or carry hollow points while traveling thru NJ.

Cause it would be great to finally be able to carry while visiting NYC or carry hollow points while traveling thru NJ.
You have no effect on other state's laws.

National reciprocity wouldn't affect either one of those issues.

Need to get 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. There were not 8 democrats who would support that.

Shouldn't even be a thing, to being with !!! Do you need it for pleading the 5th or the 4th. DO you need to fill out an app, pay a few and wait for one person to deny or grant a RIGHT !!
Something is truly f***ed !

Shouldn't even be a thing, to being with !!! Do you need it for pleading the 5th or the 4th. DO you need to fill out an app, pay a few and wait for one person to deny or grant a RIGHT !!
Something is truly f***ed !
It's like passing laws saying we will obey existing immigration laws. Stupid.

I can’t say honestly that trump didn’t blow some smoke up out a$$es. But we’re you paying attention when the Democrats didn’t give him a chance to really do anything?

Because the RINOs were against him. The appearance that real Republicans were in control was a false front.

Lol the reason NATREP didnt go anywhere had nothing to do with trump, it had to do with the fact that it had no real backing, nobody was going to burn political capital so someone can possibly carry a gun in like 5 shithole states.

NATREP was red meat "fake news" for NRA candidates" to throw at gun owners once in awhile to make it look like they were doing something.

Nobody ever had any intention of actually passing it, given the inherent pile of shit/shit show it would have had to ride upon to marginally accomplish its goal.

Lol the reason NATREP didnt go anywhere had nothing to do with trump, it had to do with the fact that it had no real backing, nobody was going to burn political capital so someone can possibly carry a gun in like 5 shithole states.

NATREP was red meat "fake news" for NRA candidates" to throw at gun owners once in awhile to make it look like they were doing something.

Nobody ever had any intention of actually passing it, given the inherent pile of shit/shit show it would have had to ride upon to marginally accomplish its goal.
Yep its all about getting reelected and getting campaign donations.

Naw man, gotta vote R, they're going to give us reciprocity and suppressors once we have our red wave. It's going to be great. Trust the plan

First, I'm not convinced that other states recognize a MA LTC. I think it's more a matter of constitutional carry in those states. Second, the idea of a national reciprocity law bothers me. It would be the beginning of the feds having control and could lead to all kinds of bullshit

First, I'm not convinced that other states recognize a MA LTC. I think it's more a matter of constitutional carry in those states. Second, the idea of a national reciprocity law bothers me. It would be the beginning of the feds having control and could lead to all kinds of bullshit
No - some who recognize MA LTC don’t have constitutional carry, like Virginia and North Carolina.

I see what you mean, but I'm only looking at the state level, not national. We have to fight for something behind enemy lines that has potential.

Same reason that the Dems didn't pass an iron-clad anti-anti-abortion law some time in the last 20 months. They honestly only care about getting reelected.

As far as why and GOAL, it's a non-starter. It's sort of like that guy talking shit to Mike Tyson on the plane a few months ago. Sure it might work. But odds are you're gonna get smashed in the face. Like HIGH odds you're gonna get smashed in the face. Same here. There is NO way a reciprocity bill is going to make it anywhere NEAR Bacon Hill.
Never tell me the odds!!! LoL

Back
Top Bottom