Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Great meeting you too! Didn't see how you did on the shooting test, we'll have to see who wins for any future line jumping :p

See you again on the 20th

Glad to meet you there Dave, sorry I jumped in front of you in line for the shooting test lol.

The written test was much simpler then I expected but yet challenging enough that if you did not read up on the rules manual you would be hard pressed to know some of the answers. As everyone stated already read the rules and just prep yourself for the test and you should do fine. I found highlighting what I found to be most important was helpful.

Also got to introduce myself to our very own member "Amazon" at the office and that made me feel at home :)
Interview on the 20th and I should be good to go.

By the way everyone that I have met involved with the club so far has been very nice and easy going.

I went in to the club last night to turn in my application and schedule appointments for membership.......holy cow was it busy! There were seven guys in line behind me also trying to sign-up for membership. I'm looking forward to getting in there....seems like a real classy organization.

I was at the club yesterday evening introducing a couple of my friends to guns and shooting and I happened to notice the "Violations sheet for Jan 16th 2013"...On the list of violations for the Loeb (indoor pistol range) was a "prohibited ammunition violation" with a $10000 restitution cost! What the hell was the guy shooting in there, incendiary rounds??? Hope my newly purchased XM855 steel core 5.56 is ok...

I was at the club yesterday evening introducing a couple of my friends to guns and shooting and I happened to notice the "Violations sheet for Jan 16th 2013"...On the list of violations for the Loeb (indoor pistol range) was a "prohibited ammunition violation" with a $10000 restitution cost! What the hell was the guy shooting in there, incendiary rounds??? Hope my newly purchased XM855 steel core 5.56 is ok...

incendiary rounds -- that's the fire-starter.

Steel core is no-no.
RR1.17 PROHIBITED AMMUNITION: • No incendiary tracer rounds, armor piercing or steel core ammunition are permitted on any range.

Well they need to post this more prominently....steel core is not AP!
Any other clubs around that allow XM855 ammo?

BTW, Thx JVS1 for the clarification

Last edited:
Here is the reality. Whatever clubs choose to allow is their choice.

xm855 penetrator does beat the crap out of steel backstops. The puny .223 round doesn't have enough energy to go through, but the hard steel tip still makes a mark. Its not a good thing and over time will cause a problem.

But Loeb uses a shredded rubber backstop. This is completely unaffected by ANYTHING (other than incendiary or tracer rounds). If you ever recover bullets from that kind of backstop, you will find the bullets are hardly deformed. So a steel, or even tungsten core is completely irrelevant.

This doesn't change the fact that the rules are the rules. So check before you shoot anything with a penetrator core.

Here is the reality. Whatever clubs choose to allow is their choice.

xm855 penetrator does beat the crap out of steel backstops. The puny .223 round doesn't have enough energy to go through, but the hard steel tip still makes a mark. Its not a good thing and over time will cause a problem.

But Loeb uses a shredded rubber backstop. This is completely unaffected by ANYTHING (other than incendiary or tracer rounds). If you ever recover bullets from that kind of backstop, you will find the bullets are hardly deformed. So a steel, or even tungsten core is completely irrelevant.

This doesn't change the fact that the rules are the rules. So check before you shoot anything with a penetrator core.
Now, if only ALL shooters could always hit the backstop instead of the lights, ventilation duct work, baffles, ceiling and carriers!

The only dumb thing about the test is it asks you for specific rules on specific ranges. Thats not how you should operate. When you go into a range, until you've been there a while, you should read the rules. They are posted near the entrance to every range.

In my book, memorizing that is pointless.

I'd generally agree, except that the memorization test shows that the applicant has in fact read the rules at least once.

Tracers. They set fire to the rubber backstop, FD showed up, filled the range with water, the smoke destroyed the air handling filters, etc. HEPA filters are *really* expensive. I'm actually surprised the costs were that low.

Despite the guy who did it making a dumb mistake, I have enormous respect for him for resigning and paying for the damage/costs without a lawsuit.

Tracers. They set fire to the rubber backstop, FD showed up, filled the range with water, the smoke destroyed the air handling filters, etc. HEPA filters are *really* expensive. I'm actually surprised the costs were that low.

Despite the guy who did it making a dumb mistake, I have enormous respect for him for resigning and paying for the damage/costs without a lawsuit.

Wow that's a very expensive mistake...
I was under the impression that "tracer" ammo was not available to civilians? I've never seen it for sale anywhere.

Now, if only ALL shooters could always hit the backstop instead of the lights, ventilation duct work, baffles, ceiling and carriers!

Tell me about it, the Loeb carriers are so shot up you have to be careful touching them since you can cut your fingers. I see it all the time though, folks in there with a new plastic handgun shooting at Hour Of Angle accuracy. I mean chit, learn how to shoot a .22 before you spray and pray with your 40 cal glock...

I'd generally agree, except that the memorization test shows that the applicant has in fact read the rules at least once.

Memorizing range specific rules only purpose is to pass the test. After that you should still review specific range rules when you go to a range for the first time in a while.

- - - Updated - - -

But then would Arthur do??

I don't think he needed to resign. I think that offering to pay would have been an adequate mea culpa. I don't know him personally.

Last edited:
I don't think he needed to resign. I think that offering to pay would have been an adequate mea culpa. I don't know him personally.

That puzzled me too. $10k+ in restitution (completely covering the club's costs) probably taught him to be extra super careful in the future. I don't know if he resigned on his own or was asked to, but he was *not* expelled. The BoD was pretty clear about that.

That puzzled me too. $10k+ in restitution (completely covering the club's costs) probably taught him to be extra super careful in the future. I don't know if he resigned on his own or was asked to, but he was *not* expelled. The BoD was pretty clear about that.

I bet he could teach a seminar on Know Your Ammo from this point forward. . . Ouch.

with a $10000 restitution cost!

Declaring what restitution the club orders is one thing.

Obtain an order from a court of competent jurisdiction, attaching assets, and seizing property to satisfy the judgement, without the club spending thousands on legal fees on something the may, or may not, be able to collect on is iffy.

Any member who would simply write a $10K check if ordered by the club would usually be the kind of person who wouldn't cause the problem in the first place, although it sounds like there was one decent person who knew to do the right thing.

Declaring what restitution the club orders is one thing.

Obtain an order from a court of competent jurisdiction, attaching assets, and seizing property to satisfy the judgement, without the club spending thousands on legal fees on something the may, or may not, be able to collect on is iffy.

Any member who would simply write a $10K check if ordered by the club would usually be the kind of person who wouldn't cause the problem in the first place, although it sounds like there was one decent person who knew to do the right thing.

I believe the posting on the club's bulletin board said the transgressor agreed to pay the $10k.

I think the club is snowed in. If there is anyone with a pickup truck that wants to come get me I can snowblow the building. I have the most powerful snowblower money can buy. Just PM me.

Hey, I'm interested in joining. I'd like to check out the club first and maybe get a few shots in the indoor range. Would someone be interested in hosting me and doing a little shooting the weekend after this one?

Thanks!

Hey, I'm interested in joining. I'd like to check out the club first and maybe get a few shots in the indoor range. Would someone be interested in hosting me and doing a little shooting the weekend after this one?

Thanks!

hey there, I will be in the area anyway for the 2/23 meet up and could probably spare the time before the meet up to show you around. If you're interested in taking my offer, PM me [grin]

Dropped off my application this evening, they are slammed with new applicants am taking the test on March 24th and then my interview is in April 7th

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom