• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts shoots 4/22-23

Patriots day approaches, and with it comes not one, not two, but THREE Appleseeds in MA! We have Mansfield, Leyden, and Harvard all hosting all those brave Americans who want to come out and learn a little something about their heritage. Come hear the story, and learn how to shoot that rifle that you got for a steal this tax season.

Patriots day approaches, and with it comes not one, not two, but THREE Appleseeds in MA! We have Mansfield, Leyden, and Harvard all hosting all those brave Americans who want to come out and learn a little something about their heritage. Come hear the story, and learn how to shoot that rifle that you got for a steal this tax season.

I really wanted to do the Patriots Day Appleseed again this year, sad to miss this. Hopefully I can get in on the July run.

Reminder to all!

If you were wondering what that 'Patriot's day' your kids had off from school this week was all about, we have a story for you!

Buddy is looking for suggestions for a youth rifle(possible loaner)

His son does ok with the 15-22, but they are a no go.

The Ruger 10/22 is a little too big. He is talking about cutting the wood stock.

Any suggestions?

A bolt action AR with an adjustable stock? https://pof-usa.com/revolt/

A Benji Marauder pistol with an adjustable stock? http://www.crosman.com/marauder-pcp-air-pistol-22-cal and http://www.rarmsinnovations.com/

Removing the rubber pad from a carbine 10/22 helped a short-statured female acquaintance of mine. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/1022Carbine/models.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=procrustean+bed to increase the length of pull of the shooter or to reduce it for the firearm?

I just tried to register (last minute, I know) and apparently registration is closed... are you full, or is there room for two more?

Pretty sure you can always show up with cash. :)

Registered my son and myself today. Time to get all my gear together.

Good luck tomorrow shooters!

That's a feature of Eventbrite... Plenty of spaces remaining based on the latest numbers.

Show up, both of you, and you will be accommodated.

I just tried to register (last minute, I know) and apparently registration is closed... are you full, or is there room for two more?

How did you all do? Any "other" newly crowned Riflemen? [smile]

238 on the first AQT this morning. Before the shivering got real. The little Savage ran like a clock.

008_2.jpg

Last edited:
I decided I was going to try using a bolt action this time around. My first two AQTs were 217 and 222.

Later, with the bolt action, I also shot a 226.

Then I changed to a 3D printed 10/22 clone I built. I managed to shoot a 206 and, if I hadn't messed up and shot the 100yd target on my neighbor's target, a 210.

The 3D printed rifle tends to move a bit as it warms up. I was chasing the point of impact a bit but by the end of an AQT it settled down. Maybe I should start at the top for that rifle... This was the first "real" test of that rifle. It worked well at the range for plinking, but an AQT is a bit more demanding.

I may play with it a bit tomorrow or change back to the 10/22 with the iron sights. Not sure.

I decided I was going to try using a bolt action this time around. My first two AQTs were 217 and 222. Later, with the bolt action, I also shot a 226. Then I changed to a 3D printed 10/22 clone I built. I managed to shoot a 206 and, if I hadn't messed up and shot the 100yd target on my neighbor's target, a 210. The 3D printed rifle tends to move a bit as it warms up. I was chasing the point of impact a bit but by the end of an AQT it settled down. Maybe I should start at the top for that rifle... This was the first "real" test of that rifle. It worked well at the range for plinking, but an AQT is a bit more demanding. I may play with it a bit tomorrow or change back to the 10/22 with the iron sights. Not sure.

I need to check that thing out tomorrow! Nice work!

I decided I was going to try using a bolt action this time around. My first two AQTs were 217 and 222.

Later, with the bolt action, I also shot a 226.

Then I changed to a 3D printed 10/22 clone I built. I managed to shoot a 206 and, if I hadn't messed up and shot the 100yd target on my neighbor's target, a 210.

The 3D printed rifle tends to move a bit as it warms up. I was chasing the point of impact a bit but by the end of an AQT it settled down. Maybe I should start at the top for that rifle... This was the first "real" test of that rifle. It worked well at the range for plinking, but an AQT is a bit more demanding.

I may play with it a bit tomorrow or change back to the 10/22 with the iron sights. Not sure.

nice, pics of that rifle? how much is plastic?

I attended my first Appleseed today, it having been almost 50 years since I did any positional shooting for score as a "yute". Went pretty well. I could have done without the rain (and subsequent sandy muck), but still had an enjoyable time and learned quite a few things. Among them

a. If you aren't on the line shooting, you better be refilling your mags.
b. many things about our heritage and Lexington and Concord and the events of 1775 that I did not know.
c. NPOA really works, once it clicks. It did for me today and groups shrank after lunch
d. I had the wrong type sling, and it was working against me. I should have obtained the GI sling as recommended on Appleseed web site. Doh! Will correct that
c. The optic I had needs an upgrade (hey, I have worn bifocals for 56 years, I really can't see iron sights) It kept loosing focus on both the target and cross hairs. Fuzzy targets I can deal with, fuzzy cross hairs not.
d. My rear hand grip was wrong all day, so my trigger finger was dragging on stock. Not sure if the stock fit was wrong, (was too short and I lengthend it, but maybe too far.) (I already had the franken stock with check pad attached with ace bandage and duck tape. But that modification worked well and I had a good check weld all day.) Murphy's law, if a stupid idea works it no longer stupid.
e. Starting with second AQT had jamming problems on three consecutive AQTs. Turned out to be operator induced error.
f. Need more ammo! Went through between 350 and 400 rounds today. So had to supplement the inventory for tomorrow.
g. I am in reasonable shape for an old guy, but still put in some time preparing for the AQT. I either simulated (or shot) four AQTs in succession. Wasn't enough.
h. My right leg on prone position had probably been wrong my whole life. So when I got it in the right position, I was much more stable, could established a NPOA, but since I had not practiced like that the muscles were complaining very quickly.

I had a blast, going back tomorrow.

I did pick up my riflemans patch with a 214 early on. Did better it a little twice in the afternoon (lunch break helped me recover)

Overall I had a blast. Met some great people, and the instructors were great, and very knowledgeable.

Today used a 10-22. Tomorrow switching over to an AR with dedicated 22 rim fire upper. That puppy has a 4 lb+ trigger on it , so will be more like an off the rack rifle and take a little more trigger control.

It turns out that the 3D printed rifle had a loose front scope mount... like rattling around loose. I found it while cleaning it.

I will definitely be running that rifle again tomorrow. 200+ on an AQT with a loose scope. This rifle may be more capable than I thought.

What a weekend! So, I was unable to achieve a perfect 250. I had to settle for a 245. I am still happy with that. To be fair, there was some "assistance" from my neighbor on the third stage. However, he was shooting 22lr and I had 5.56, and we we're able to differentiate my hits from his.

After that, the red hats started to give me games to play. I shot an AQT offhand for stages 1 and 2, and seated for 3 and 4. Target is in the truck, but I am pretty sure it was around 220.

The last game was to do 20 pushups at the call of FIRE and complete an AQT. I have that on video. Target is in the truck, but I scored a 235 for that one.

My seated shooting really came together this weekend. I picked up some great little tips on my prone shooting as well.

Breath control and focusing on keeping sight on target were big factors this weekend. Also, ditching my comfy shooting mat was a game changer. It was getting in the way.

Closed out the day by cleaning a redcoat target.

This is Appleseed number 4 for me. I look forward to the April shoot every year.

Great to see Matt, Andre, and Jeremy again. The whole crew ran a great line. Thanks again guys!

Big thank-you to Pat, Andre, Matt and Jeremy for an outstanding experience--educational and fun. Here they are with my 16-year-old who's holding 3 targets he shot consecutively for Rifleman scores. For the day, he shot five Rifleman scores. Appleseed is highly-recommended.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Appleseed 4-23-17.jpg
    Appleseed 4-23-17.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
What a weekend! So, I was unable to achieve a perfect 250. I had to settle for a 245. I am still happy with that. To be fair, there was some "assistance" from my neighbor on the third stage. However, he was shooting 22lr and I had 5.56, and we we're able to differentiate my hits from his.

After that, the red hats started to give me games to play. I shot an AQT offhand for stages 1 and 2, and seated for 3 and 4. Target is in the truck, but I am pretty sure it was around 220.

The last game was to do 20 pushups at the call of FIRE and complete an AQT. I have that on video. Target is in the truck, but I scored a 235 for that one.

My seated shooting really came together this weekend. I picked up some great little tips on my prone shooting as well.

Breath control and focusing on keeping sight on target were big factors this weekend. Also, ditching my comfy shooting mat was a game changer. It was getting in the way.

Closed out the day by cleaning a redcoat target.

This is Appleseed number 4 for me. I look forward to the April shoot every year.

Great to see Matt, Andre, and Jeremy again. The whole crew ran a great line. Thanks again guys!

Awesome, my 238 held up for the high weekend and won me the deck of cards. :) My redhat hat had be shooting them upside down (Still made 224) .

Best of all however, was my son shooting 215 and 217. He was pretty stoked after the cycling issues he had yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Big thank-you to Pat, Andre, Matt and Jeremy for an outstanding experience--educational and fun. Here they are with my 16-year-old who's holding 3 targets he shot consecutively for Rifleman scores. For the day, he shot five Rifleman targets. Appleseed is highly-recommended.

attachment.php

Congrats, i was happier for my son than for me.

Back
Top Bottom