• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts: Which Chief Law Enforcement Officer for SBR Notification

Reptile

NES Member
Massachusetts has a few CLEO's.

AG
Chief in my town
Sheriff

Who should I notify that would result the fewest headaches?

Also, what does the form look like?

I used my town police chief. Just typed up a 2 sentence letter and popped it in a regular stamped envelope.

If using E Form once the form is submitted an email with cover letter for the prints and a pdf CLEO copy is sent. Print the pdf. and pop it in the mail. I sent it to my Police Chief since they issued my ltc. Also when completing the Form 1 you have to state to whom you’re sending it to as well as the address.

The pd did my prints and knew I’d be sending in the notification form.

AG: As much as I’d like to give Maura the finger do you really want her thinking about another press conference?

Sheriff: Mine (Hampden Co.) has absolutely nothing to do with firearms licensing. Theyd probably scratch their head say “why the f**** am I getting this” and file it in the shredder. Might also prompt a phone call.

Last edited:
CLEO refers to the town police chief. if a town doesn't have a PD, it could be the sheriff (more likely in states other than Mass) or Mass State Police (barracks covering town in Mass w/o a PD).

Never notify the AG of anything! In spite of pronouncements that she's the "chief law enforcement officer of the commiewealth", the job really is the chief lawyer for the commiewealth. No powers of arrest, just representing the interests of the commiewealth in courts.

The actual definition is right on the back of the form:

"The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police, or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor."

I send all of mine to the Head of the NH State Police, who I'm sure shitcans it as soon as it hits his desk, if it ever gets past his secretary or whoever opens his mail.

Can I use a new post Healy AR15 lower receiver to make a SBR?

I'd hope for YES because a SBR is not a rifle, so if the lower is not being made into a AR15 rifle, it's not prohibited.

I also believe that I can use a brand new AR15 lower to make a 22 caliber rifle, as well.

Massachusetts has a few CLEO's.

AG
Chief in my town
Sheriff

Who should I notify that would result the fewest headaches?

Also, what does the form look like?

[rofl]

The easiest thing to do is send it to the person (police officer - department) you get you LTC from they will just put it in your file with your LTC info.

That's what most department's do with it..

The easiest thing to do is send it to the person (police officer - department) you get you LTC from they will just put it in your file with your LTC info.

That's what most department's do with it..

So your advice is to send it to somewhere where they will keep the form in a file, versus legally sending it to someone who will most likely shitcan it, or send it back (which still accomplishes the purpose).
[thinking]

So your advice is to send it to somewhere where they will keep the form in a file, versus legally sending it to someone who will most likely shitcan it, or send it back (which still accomplishes the purpose).
[thinking]

I am telling you if your from MA you send it to the police department you got your LTC from and if your from a state other that MA you send it to the closest police or sheriffs department that has jurisdiction of your city or town.

And they will do what ever they wish with it they might just toss it becauae they don't care or they might save it in a file like my police department does.

I am telling you if your from MA you send it to the police department you got your LTC from and if your from a state other that MA you send it to the closest police or sheriffs department that has jurisdiction of your city or town.

And they will do what ever they wish with it they might just toss it becauae they don't care or they might save it in a file like my police department does.

No. The Form 1 instructions clearly spell out the many options for CLEO. I quoted them above. Why would you send it to someone likely to keep a file of your NFA weapons?

No. The Form 1 instructions clearly spell out the many options for CLEO. I quoted them above. Why would you send it to someone likely to keep a file of your NFA weapons?

You do what you want I am telling you where by law your supposed to send it to.

It gives a list of places to send it to so you know and have an idea where to send it to if your dumb and don't understand where to send it to.

So the list is chief of police that would be your chief of police In your town not the chief 12 towns away.

If you dont have a local police department then you would send it to what ever Sheriffs department that has jurisdiction of your area and then if there in no police department or Sheriffs department that has jurisdiction of your area then you would send it to your state police in your area or the AG.

Because there are some cities in the US that don't have local PD or sheriffs departments so that's why the ATF list police department sheriff department , state police and AG.

It's a chain of command just like in the military you dont go to a 4 star general with your problems if your a privet you go to your sergeant if your are a sergeant you go to your captain and so on.

So it is the same thing with your form 1 you send it to the closest place that has jurisdiction of your area.

You do what you want I am telling you where by law your supposed to send it to.

It gives a list of places to send it to so you know and have an idea where to send it to if your dumb and don't understand where to send it to.

So the list is chief of police that would be your chief of police In your town not the chief 12 towns away.

If you dont have a local police department then you would send it to what ever Sheriffs department that has jurisdiction of your area and then if there in no police department or Sheriffs department that has jurisdiction of your area then you would send it to your state police in your area or the AG.

Because there are some cities in the US that don't have local PD or sheriffs departments so that's why the ATF list police department sheriff department , state police and AG.

It's a chain of command just like in the military you dont go to a 4 star general with your problems if your a privet you go to your sergeant if your are a sergeant you go to your captain and so on.

So it is the same thing with your form 1 you send it to the closest place that has jurisdiction of your area.

Clearly, you don't understand the CLEO notification process on NFA. Fine. "Where by law your [sic] supposed to send it to." Show me the law. There is no "chain of command" requirement. I challenge you to find one in the NFA handbook, or to find anything close to your understanding of CLEO "working your way up." The Form 1/4 explanation is very clear. It makes no reference to "the CLEO closest to your house."

The Form's 1 and 4, and the Handbook are clear. You can send your CLEO notification to anyone on the list. Anyone. They all qualify as CLEO. MANY PEOPLE, including, for example, the arguably largest silencer distributor in the US (SilencerShop), default to the State Police of your state for CLEO notification. But, then, these are people who know WTF they're talking about.

Clearly, you don't understand the CLEO notification process on NFA. Fine. "Where by law your [sic] supposed to send it to." Show me the law. There is no "chain of command" requirement. I challenge you to find one in the NFA handbook, or to find anything close to your understanding of CLEO "working your way up." The Form 1/4 explanation is very clear. It makes no reference to "the CLEO closest to your house."

The Form's 1 and 4, and the Handbook are clear. You can send your CLEO notification to anyone on the list. Anyone. They all qualify as CLEO. MANY PEOPLE, including, for example, the arguably largest silencer distributor in the US (SilencerShop), default to the State Police of your state for CLEO notification. But, then, these are people who know WTF they're talking about.

So your a lawyer or you have your FFL/SOT and know what your talking about ?

By the law - ATF rules you can send it to any place that has jurisdiction over your city or town.

But like I said you don't send it to a police department 7 cities away from you and say F-it I sent it to a CLEO I am good I did what the law said to do.

But it rally comes down to is the state you live in and most states have a chain of command they want it sent to and it usually starts at your local Police Department or Sheriffs Office.

So you should send it to your local PD thats what the abbreviation of CLEO CHEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER that would be the place (department) that is closest to you that has jurisdiction if there is not a PD close to you then you move up the chain to the next closest place that has jurisdiction where you live.

So in Massachusetts I am pretty sure all cities and towns have a PD in there town so send it there but lets say you dont have a PD in your town you don't send it to the sheriffs department in Massachusetts because the Sheriffs department in Massachusetts only cover the jails and don't care and don't have a clue. Next if you want to send it to the state police sure go ahead just wondering what state police do you sent it to because in Massachusetts there are at least a dozen state police barracks and if you send it to any one of them they will probably send it off to Chelsea to the fire arms record board and do you really want that to happen its better off at your local PD. because your local PD will put it with your file if they keep a file (your LTC file) which all PD in Massachusetts have on the LTC they issue

And what's left the AG well unless the state you live in requires you to send it to there offic there is no way in hell I'd send it to the AG but if you want to go that route go for it.

But if you Still don't want to believe me call the NFA Branch 304-616-4500 and ask them where to send it and and explain to them or ask them in detail is there a chain of command or should I just send it straight to the AG's office in my state or the state police and they will tell you there is a chain of command but send it to where the state wants you to send it and here in Massachusetts that is your local PD where you get your LTC in NH it's where you get you pistol and revolver permit but again every state is different.

SO THIS IS FROM ATF NFA HAND BOOK SEE WHERE IS SAYS LOCAL CLEO I REPEAT LOCAL CLEO THAT IS THE CLOSEST ONE TO YOU THAT HAS JURISDICTION.

NOW THE LAW HAS CHANGED AND YOU DON'T MEED A SIGHN OFF ANY MORE YOU JUST HAVE TO INFORM THE CLEO BUT IT IS STILL THE SAME RULE THE CLOSEST CLEO TO YOU WHICH IN MOST CASES IS YOUR LOCAL PD.

THEY LIST ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE - OFFICES IN CASE YOUR AREA THAT DOES NOT HAVE A LOCAL PD SO YOU KNOW THE OTHER OPTIONS YOU HAVE IN THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.

SHIT IT DOES SAY YOUR LOCAL DA OR PROSECUTOR SEND IT TO ONE OF THEM AND SEE IF THEY DON'T SEND IT BACK AND TELL YOU TO GO YOUR LOCAL PD BECAUSE THAT'S SOMETHING THEY DON'T HANDLE.

6.2.4 Law enforcement certification. As provided by the regulations, the law enforcement certification located on the back of Form 1 must be completed and signed by the local chief of police or county sheriff, the head of the State police, the State or local district attorney or prosecutor, “or such other person whose certificate may in a particular case be acceptable to the Director.”97 Examples of certifying officials, other than those specifically mentioned in the regulations, who have been found to be acceptable are State attorneys general, heads of district State police offices and certain State court judges. Judges’ certifications have been accepted if the judges preside over courts of general jurisdiction having original jurisdiction in all civil and criminal cases or the authority to conduct criminal jury trials in felony cases. Generally, State magistrates and constables do not have such authority. NOTE: no official’s certification will be accepted unless the official has jurisdiction over the place where the applicant resides. The signature on each copy of the certification must be an original signature in ink. NOTE: if the Form 1 being submitted is to reactivate a properly registered unserviceable firearm, the law enforcement certification is not required. See Section 6.6.

Last edited:
SO THIS IS FROM ATF NFA HAND BOOK SEE WHERE IS SAYS LOCAL CLEO I REPEAT LOCAL CLEO THAT IS THE CLOSEST ONE TO YOU THAT HAS JURISDICTION.

NOW THE LAW HAS CHANGED AND YOU DON'T MEED A SIGHN OFF ANY MORE YOU JUST HAVE TO INFORM THE CLEO BUT IT IS STILL THE SAME RULE THE CLOSEST CLEO TO YOU WHICH IN MOST CASES IS YOUR LOCAL PD.

THEY LIST ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE - OFFICES IN CASE YOUR YOUR AREA THAT DOES NOT HAVE A LOCAL PD SO YOU KNOW THE OTHER OPTIONS YOU HAVE IN THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.

SHIT IT DOES SAY YOUR LOCAL DA OR PROSECUTOR SEND IT TO ONE OF THEM AND SEE IF THEY DON'T SEND IT BACK AND TELL YOU TO GO YOUR LOCAL PD BECAUSE THAT'S SOMETHING THEY DON'T HANDLE.

6.2.4 Law enforcement certification. As provided by the regulations, the law enforcement certification located on the back of Form 1 must be completed and signed by the local chief of police or county sheriff, the head of the State police, the State or local district attorney or prosecutor, “or such other person whose certificate may in a particular case be acceptable to the Director.”97 Examples of certifying officials, other than those specifically mentioned in the regulations, who have been found to be acceptable are State attorneys general, heads of district State police offices and certain State court judges. Judges’ certifications have been accepted if the judges preside over courts of general jurisdiction having original jurisdiction in all civil and criminal cases or the authority to conduct criminal jury trials in felony cases. Generally, State magistrates and constables do not have such authority. NOTE: no official’s certification will be accepted unless the official has jurisdiction over the place where the applicant resides. The signature on each copy of the certification must be an original signature in ink. NOTE: if the Form 1 being submitted is to reactivate a properly registered unserviceable firearm, the law enforcement certification is not required. See Section 6.6.

Woof. Do you not read what you post? Of course you don't send it to a police department "7 cities away." The NFA Handbook never says you can do that. Nor does it say you can send it to some other county's Sheriff. But it does say "by the local chief of police or county sheriff, the head of the State police, the State or local district attorney or prosecutor." You can send it to your local COP, OR any of the others. It doesn't say "in case there's no local chief of police." Where can you ever cite anything that supports this interpretation? How are you not getting this? Do you think the largest distributor of silencers in the country is making things up as they go along?

You can do whatever you want with your own NFA stuff, but you're posting shitty and demonstrably false information, and you should knock it off.

Woof. Do you not read what you post? Of course you don't send it to a police department "7 cities away." The NFA Handbook never says you can do that. Nor does it say you can send it to some other county's Sheriff. But it does say "by the local chief of police or county sheriff, the head of the State police, the State or local district attorney or prosecutor." You can send it to your local COP, OR any of the others. It doesn't say "in case there's no local chief of police." Where can you ever cite anything that supports this interpretation? How are you not getting this? Do you think the largest distributor of silencers in the country is making things up as they go along?

You can do whatever you want with your own NFA stuff, but you're posting shitty and demonstrably false information, and you should knock it off.

Read this again maybe the second time you will understand it.

Your trying to tell someone who has over 25 ATF E-Forms and stamps done that I am giving bad info again here is the NFA BRANCH NUMBER CALL THEM 304-616-4500 and ask them your self.

The Silencer shop does not just send them to the state police only they have already spoken to all the state's that they ship silencers to and got the address to where to send them they just didn't say hay where going to just ship them to the state police but you can call them and ask them about that to if you want and they will tell you the same thing they ship form 4 to where the state has told them to ship them.

Last edited:

THEY LIST ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE - OFFICES IN CASE YOUR AREA THAT DOES NOT HAVE A LOCAL PD SO YOU KNOW THE OTHER OPTIONS YOU HAVE IN THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.

Or

You trying to tell someone who has over 25 ATF E-Forms and stamps done that I am giving bad info again here is the NFA BRANCH NUMBER CALL THEM 304-616-4500 and ask them your self.

The Silencer shop does not just send them to the state police only they have already spoken to all the state's that they ship silencers to and got the address to where to send them they just didn't say hay where going to just ship them to the state police but you can call them and ask them about that to if you want and they will tell you the same thing they ship form 4 to where the state has told them to ship them.

In Pennsylvania Silencer Shop ships them to Josh Shapiro, AG. You have an obligation to notify. You can notify anybody in that list. You’re not wrong, I do believe you are doing it wrong though. You are also giving bad advice IMO, to be fair, you weren’t the only one.

I'm not the one that doesn't understand the reg. It's pretty damn clear. YOU'RE the one who's adding extra words in there, like "chain of command" and "only if there's no PD."

You trying to tell someone who has over 25 ATF E-Forms and stamps done that I am giving bad info again here is the NFA BRANCH NUMBER CALL THEM 304-616-4500 and ask them your self.
Is this a dick-measuring contest? Because I've got more than 25 NFA items/stamps. Does that make me somehow more right? And, by your logic, JRT, who has over 25 stamps just since 41f (and is thereby my new hero), is the final word.
This isn't even in the English language, so I'm not going to deal with it.

(OR) but if the both of you can't see that the OR is just giving you places to go if you don't have a local CLEO just like it also says

97 Examples of certifying officials, other than those specifically mentioned in the regulations, who have been found to be acceptable are State attorneys general, heads of district State police offices and certain State court judges. Judges’ certifications have been accepted if the judges preside over courts of general jurisdiction having original jurisdiction in all civil and criminal cases or the authority to conduct criminal jury trials in felony cases.

So does that mean we -you should send them to the judges of the local courts or to the local DA's no your not there all examples of acceptable place to send it to as you go up the chain of command if you don't have a local CLEO.

(OR) but if the both of you can't see that the OR is just giving you places to go if you don't have a local CLEO just like it also says

97 Examples of certifying officials, other than those specifically mentioned in the regulations, who have been found to be acceptable are State attorneys general, heads of district State police offices and certain State court judges. Judges’ certifications have been accepted if the judges preside over courts of general jurisdiction having original jurisdiction in all civil and criminal cases or the authority to conduct criminal jury trials in felony cases.

So does that mean we -you should send them to the judges of the local courts or to the local DA's no your not there all examples of acceptable place to send it to as you go up the chain of command if you don't have a local CLEO.

No, it means you should send them to the AG and be done. Again, you may be technically right, in my opinion though, you are doing it wrong. This opinion is backed up by my trust lawyer, the largerst purveyor of silencers in the country and the ATF who has approved every Form 1&4 i have sent them.

Where the F does it say that?? You're adding words, and your interpretation runs counter to EVERYONE ELSE IN THE NFA WORLD.

I'm done here. It's like arguing with a flat-worlder.

In Pennsylvania Silencer Shop ships them to Josh Shapiro, AG. You have an obligation to notify. You can notify anybody in that list. You’re not wrong, I do believe you are doing it wrong though. You are also giving bad advice IMO, to be fair, you weren’t the only one.

So i am not wrong in Pennsylvania if they want you to send it to the AG in Massachusetts where I am from they want you to send it to your local PD where you get your license to carry and in the Hampshire they want you to send it to your local PD where you get your pistol and revolver license or to the department of safety which is a branch of the state police.

These are the places where the state wants you to send it it doesn't mean by the ATF rules that you can't send it somewhere else but just because it's not written in the ATF NFA handbook to go by a chain of command if you call the ATF NFA Branch they will tell you to go by a chain of command or what the state that your in wants. so then everybody at the ATF NFA Branch is telling you something wrong and complain to them.

So i am not wrong in Pennsylvania if they want you to send it to the AG in Massachusetts where I am from they want you to send it to your local PD where you get your license to carry and in the Hampshire they want you to send it to your local PD where you get your pistol and revolver license or to the department of safety which is a branch of the state police.

These are the places where the state wants you to send it it doesn't mean by the ATF rules that you can't send it somewhere else but just because it's not written in the ATF NFA handbook to go by a chain of command if you call the ATF NFA Branch they will tell you to go by a chain of command or what the state that your in wants. so then everybody at the ATF NFA Branch is telling you something wrong and complain to them.

The wording says no matter where I live the AG is an acceptable point of notification. This is what should be done.

The wording says no matter where I live the AG is an acceptable point of notification. This is what should be done.

And the person asking is from Massachusetts and in Massachusetts which I am from not Pennsylvania where it goes to the AG and not from New Hampshire to wherever you decided to send it to he is from Massachusetts just like me. And in Massachusetts it goes to your local PD who issues your LTC.

You would be the dumbest person in Massachusetts to send it to the communist AG again you want to take advice from somebody from Pennsylvania ( a state that still has there rights and the AG there don't care ) or do you want to take advice from somebody who lives in Massachusetts who knows where to send it. And in Massachusetts the AG is taking your rights away by the day and if you send it to the MA. AG she will probably come to your house with the state police and take the gun from you and say your in possession of something that's illegal in Massachusetts.

The ATF even thinks the state of Massachusetts is crazy because a rifle is a rifle you can't make a rifle into a pistol but Massachusetts thinks if you cut down a rifles barrel length it beccomes a pistol.

This state I live in is on drugs and controlled by communists

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom