Massad Ayoob - Mag40 Class - Londonderry NH - October 12-14, 2023. Seriously consider, please.

Mas himself is teaching his MAG 40 class in the only New England appearance this year.

Thursday, October 12 - Sunday October 14, 2023 at the Londonderry Fish and Game Club in Litchfield, NH.

If you ever think you might have to use a firearm to defend yourself, your family, your co-workers or your friends, you owe it to yourself to invest in this class.

Shooting someone, even under ideal circumstances, is going to cost you dearly, with obscene expenses (think seven figures), health ramifications, destroyed relationships, disrupted careers, and even possible incarceration. This is especially likely in liberal states like Mass, NJ, NY, CT, VT and RI. I'm well read about firearms, but this class taught me things that I never thought about before. It could mean the difference between enabling you to continue to live your life after a threat encounter, or spending the rest of your time in prison, or dead in a box.

Anyone who carries a gun, and does not avail themselves of this guy's expertise, insight and advice is possibly making a life-changing mistake.

I know $1000 is a lot of money, especially when you add 600 rounds of ammo, time off from work, and the costs of getting to and from the class, but think about this. Bail on even a legitimate shoot is going to run seven figures. Unless you have a million dollars rotting in Chase Manhattan's coffers, you're going to have to pay a bail bondsman 10% or $100,000 to borrow that money. That's money that you're not getting back. Good lawyers run $600 to $1000 an hour, and when you're fighting for your life and freedom, you're not in a position to negotiate a discount. George Zimmerman and Kyle Rittenhouse's trials ran over a million dollars, and both are still tallying up legal bills to cover the civil suits. $1000 is a small price to pay to help you to avoid the nightmare in the first place.

Mas is a fascinating lecturer, and an entertaining teacher. It's great fun just listening to his insights, and every year, he updates his material based on what he has seen out in the world of citizen self-defense. police training, and violence research.

Here is the course synopsis.

Londonderry Fish and Game
5 Lund Street, Litchfield, NH

This is an intense, four-day, 40-hour immersion course in the “rules of engagement” for armed law-abiding private citizens. The course emphasizes legal issues, tactical issues, and aftermath management. Topics will include interacting with suspects, witnesses, responding police officers, threat recognition and mind-set, and the management of the social and psychological aftermath of having to use lethal force in defense of self or others. Also covered is preparing beforehand for legal repercussions and minimizing your exposure to them. Situations in the home, at the place of business, or “on the street” will all be covered. Range work will include instruction in the use of the defensive handgun under extreme stress. Drawing from concealment, two-handed stances, shooting from cover, one-handed stances with either hand, speed reloading, and more are taught with an overall emphasis on fast, accurate shot placement. The course will culminate with a written examination covering the classroom topics and a police-style handgun qualification course.

Prerequisite: basic understanding of firearms safety.
Cost: $1000.

I know $1000 is a lot of money, especially when you add 600 rounds of ammo, time off from work, and the costs of getting to and from the class, but think about this. Bail on even a legitimate shoot is going to run seven figures. Unless you have a million dollars rotting in Chase Manhattan's coffers, you're going to have to pay a bail bondsman 10% or $100,000 to borrow that money. That's money that you're not getting back. Good lawyers run $600 to $1000 an hour, and when you're fighting for your life and freedom, you're not in a position to negotiate a discount. George Zimmerman and Kyle Rittenhouse's trials ran over a million dollars, and both are still tallying up legal bills to cover the civil suits. $1000 is a small price to pay to help you to avoid the nightmare in the first place.
I took LFI-I decades ago from Mas - good class steeped in the world of reality.

But the numbers are a bit off for MA. $1M bails are generally for high profile cases. I know of one case where a LTC holder shot her boyfriend 5 times (he lived), got a $5K bail, then ended up in the Framingham prison for a period of time. 7 figures for a defense would be rare (think Zimmerman); you can probably get a good defense for $300K or so. MA does not use bail bondsmen. Bails tend to be lower, but paid in full by the defendant, his family, special interest groups, etc. So the concept of the "bail fine" does not exist in MA.

The big risk is when a judge wants "no bail", but must comply with the process therefore sets bail that cannot be reached. The bigger danger in MA is that the mere use of a gun, even in what is no indication the person is of a criminal nature (a disarmed defendant in a self defense case with a clean record and LTC is not likely to turn to street crime or use an illegal gun to get into another questionable self defense case) often results in a finding of "dangerousness", as well as the delay sitting in jail while waiting for the "dangerousness" hearing.

Mas has interesting, and probably valid, thoughts that pure "STFU" is not always best, and provides some guidelines on what the limits are on what is OK to say. Certainly if you saw someone pick up and run off with the shootee's weapon it would be unwise to not mention that to responding officers - even though conventional wisdom is say nothing until you get your mouthpiece in the room.

As an interesting footnote, I believe lawyers have an automatic lien for legal fees on their client's posted bail in MA. So be careful loaning a friend a large amount for bail since (s)he/it may not get it back even if they show up in court.

I also would not recommend those of you who are prepared to leave $1M in Chase Manhatten's coffers, but to consider a more diversified investment portfolio.

Finally, if your adult offspring lives with you, the MA SJC has held that you are liable for paying his/her/its legal defense fees, as your assets and income disqualify said adult from a public defender.

Last edited:
Link?

$1k for a 40 hour class from an established instructor like Atoob is incredibly inexpensive.

Isn't this the equivalent of the old LFI-I course? It cost $500-$600 back about 20 years ago, so the price really isn't that bad.

I saw a picture of a couple classes
Around 30 people. So 30k a class
Guy could easily pull a million a year teaching these classes.

But 1000/40= 25 hour. Seems like a good deal for a top instructor

Mas himself is teaching his MAG 40 class in the only New England appearance this year.

Thursday, October 12 - Sunday October 14, 2023 at the Londonderry Fish and Game Club in Litchfield, NH.

If you ever think you might have to use a firearm to defend yourself, your family, your co-workers or your friends, you owe it to yourself to invest in this class.

Shooting someone, even under ideal circumstances, is going to cost you dearly, with obscene expenses (think seven figures), health ramifications, destroyed relationships, disrupted careers, and even possible incarceration. This is especially likely in liberal states like Mass, NJ, NY, CT, VT and RI. I'm well read about firearms, but this class taught me things that I never thought about before. It could mean the difference between enabling you to continue to live your life after a threat encounter, or spending the rest of your time in prison, or dead in a box.

Anyone who carries a gun, and does not avail themselves of this guy's expertise, insight and advice is possibly making a life-changing mistake.

Mas is a fascinating lecturer, and an entertaining teacher. It's great fun just listening to his insights, and every year, he updates his material based on what he has seen out in the world of citizen self-defense. police training, and violence research.

This is an intense, four-day, 40-hour immersion course in the “rules of engagement” for armed law-abiding private citizens. The course emphasizes legal issues, tactical issues, and aftermath management. Topics will include interacting with suspects, witnesses, responding police officers, threat recognition and mind-set, and the management of the social and psychological aftermath of having to use lethal force in defense of self or others. Also covered is preparing beforehand for legal repercussions and minimizing your exposure to them. Situations in the home, at the place of business, or “on the street” will all be covered. Range work will include instruction in the use of the defensive handgun under extreme stress. Drawing from concealment, two-handed stances, shooting from cover, one-handed stances with either hand, speed reloading, and more are taught with an overall emphasis on fast, accurate shot placement. The course will culminate with a written examination covering the classroom topics and a police-style handgun qualification course.

Bump.

I agree that $1k for Mas' 40 hr course seems like a bargain. I took the LFI-1 course in 1998 (Mas taught the course himself with an assistant during range time) and think it was $600 then. I really wanted to take courses 2 and 3, but couldn't manage to get both the money and the time to do it to occur at the same time. If you haven't taken any courses yet, I would urge you to take this one.

I agree that $1k for Mas' 40 hr course seems like a bargain. I took the LFI-1 course in 1998 (Mas taught the course himself with an assistant during range time) and think it was $600 then. I really wanted to take courses 2 and 3, but couldn't manage to get both the money and the time to do it to occur at the same time. If you haven't taken any courses yet, I would urge you to take this one.
I recall LF-1 from around that time as well. Mas had us take his handouts, signed and witnessed, seal them in an envelope, to be sent them to us by Registered Mail. We were supposed to keep them sealed in our safe to pull out if we ever needed to document our training.

I recall LF-1 from around that time as well. Mas had us take his handouts, signed and witnessed, seal them in an envelope, to be sent them to us by Registered Mail. We were supposed to keep them sealed in our safe to pull out if we ever needed to document our training.
I vaguely recall that now that you mentioned it. Do you have yours? I have the certificate and my notes from the course, that's all.

I vaguely recall that now that you mentioned it. Do you have yours? I have the certificate and my notes from the course, that's all.
It would be somewhere in my gun cabinet … maybe the kids would find it a few years after I’d been in jail.

Just bumping this.

Mas is getting on in years. He has arthritis. There is no guarantee how many more years he will be teaching.

His MAG classes are worth every penny, and the time you need to set aside to attend.

Considering how Andrea and Maura want to ban and confiscate guns, and how they want to make anyone's life a total mess if you are forced to defend yourself against deadly criminal threat, you need every arrow in your quiver to help persevere when the state comes after you.

MAG 40 is a necessity in this day and age.

There are still a few spots open in the October class. Sign up now before they fill up.

Just to give this another bump... and some additional perspective:

I took this class several years ago with Mas here in New Hampshire (up by Grantham, somewhere). It was a lot of hours each day, and I chose to actually stay in a hotel near the venue. The class was *intense* and easily THE most useful and practical shooting-related seminar I've ever taken. What I learned in class about self-defense has stuck with me.

On the OTHER hand, most of the class consisted of watching videos of Mas teaching the class many years ago (at Pioneer, in Dunbarton NH), while Mas sat there or wandered around outside. After the videos he would ask if anyone had any questions, and if not... on we went to the next video. One or two of the videos has been updated and filmed in Florida, IIRC. My distinct impression was that Mas was kind of bored and burned-out teaching this material, with the same message, that he had been teaching for years. Having said that, it was fun to meet him, to talk with him, and ask him side-questions. He made himself very available the whole week.

I get the point of using pre-recorded lecture material for liability purposes (so that every single thing is covered, the same way, in every class). But there are ways that the live instructor can bring energy to the class, expand on the information presented in the videos, and make the class more engaging. We didn't get any of that.

I don't remember if the actual shooting (on the range) part of the class was useful or not, but I *do* recall Mas being "displeased" with the safety practices of several of the students. ISTR that the experience level (and firearms proficiency) of the students varied widely. There was a qualifying test at the end, which basically allows you to demonstrate your basic competency with a pistol. All part of building a record of your training, seriousness, and competency.

Despite the ancient pre-recorded material and Mas' low-energy approach, I would recommend this class to anyone who's serious about carrying a pistol for self-defense. Just be prepared for the class format, in case it hasn't changed in the intervening years.

Bump. There are still a few slots available, but they are rapidly filling fast.

I would say the MAG40 that I took last year in NH was very different. There were pre-recorded lectures, but the range time was magnificent and so was instructor class time. Videos were all re-filmed 10 years ago.
I found the same thing. Mas augments the videos with a lot of classroom and range instruction and discussion. You are NOT paying money to sit and watch videos.

Just a reminder.

Thursday, October 12 - Sunday October 15, 2023 at the Londonderry Fish and Game Club in Litchfield, NH.

A few slots are still open.

Last edited:
Does this class run from thur - sat?
Or thur - Sun?

It says Thursday-Sunday, but the actual dates are Thursday-Saturday

Back
Top Bottom