Memorial Day 2021

I don't say "Happy Memorial Day", I respond with something like "remember our fallen". I am not a veteran, but know enough of them and their history to know that without them and their ultimate sacrifice, we all would not be here.

For me, I "adopt" a few fallen hero's and go to the cemetery, clean off their tombstones or surface stones, make sure they have a flag, plant some flowers and say a small prayer that they are not forgotten.

I found this short quote from a Navy pilot.

As former Navy pilot Ken Harbaugh writes in the Observer, it's OK to say "Happy Memorial Day."

This Memorial Day, I will head to the ocean as the sun is coming up. I will spend some time alone, and think about those who never made it back. Then I will return to my wife and kids and be grateful for my life. I will fire up the grill and invite friends over. And I will wish each of them a Happy Memorial Day, knowing full well that this day and the joy it brings are gifts I can never repay. Except, perhaps, by living a life full of happiness as my fallen friends would have wanted.

Jay

I don't say "Happy Memorial Day", I respond with something like "remember our fallen". I am not a veteran, but know enough of them and their history to know that without them and their ultimate sacrifice, we all would not be here.

For me, I "adopt" a few fallen hero's and go to the cemetery, clean off their tombstones or surface stones, make sure they have a flag, plant some flowers and say a small prayer that they are not forgotten.

I found this short quote from a Navy pilot.

As former Navy pilot Ken Harbaugh writes in the Observer, it's OK to say "Happy Memorial Day."

This Memorial Day, I will head to the ocean as the sun is coming up. I will spend some time alone, and think about those who never made it back. Then I will return to my wife and kids and be grateful for my life. I will fire up the grill and invite friends over. And I will wish each of them a Happy Memorial Day, knowing full well that this day and the joy it brings are gifts I can never repay. Except, perhaps, by living a life full of happiness as my fallen friends would have wanted.

Jay
Unlike our VP, "Enjoy the long weekend".

Went to the parade in town: nice but very small. Couple guys from the fire dept, the local legion post and ladies auxillary, few cars and the little league. Total time for the parade to pass by was about 90 seconds, total time for the parade was 30 minutes. With 2000 people in town, it's not like we're going to compete with Macy's. I usually avoid parades, but this year my son was marching in it with the little league, so I went. It's good to stop, listen to Taps and remember; as much as I hate parades and the like, I think I can take the 30 minutes to remember the fallen and their families.

Find your own ways to serve to honor the fallen on Memorial Day:​

USA TODAY

“...Yes, Memorial Day is absolutely about remembering and honoring the fallen. Our fallen heroes fell to make this nation greater. The best way to honor their service is to mirror it. Serve each other. You can begin this morning. What real action can you take to improve our country and the lives of our fellow countrymen? What will you do?”

Back
Top Bottom