Memphis Grizzlies Suspend Ja Morant After a Second Gun Video Surfaces

SFC13557

NES Member

The 23-year-old NBA superstar was suspended after a March video showed him dancing with a gun in a strip club. Two months later, he finds himself in nearly the same circumstance.​

From today's WSJ.
This is the consequence of Fatherless Men being brought up in a violent environment. A Multimillionaire can't shake the gang/ghetto culture and has no adults to teach him what a responsible Man should act like. We have fueled this culture with welfare and Section 8 housing and not holding these "citizens" accountable for their action. With that idiot Biden telling Howard U. grads their biggest threat is white supremacists no wonder they believe violence and crime are OK.

"
When the Memphis Grizzlies’ superstar point guard Ja Morant stepped away from the team in March after video circulated online of him dancing with a handgun at a strip club, the team didn’t use the word “suspension” in announcing the news.

On Sunday morning, the club took a different tack after another Instagram Live video went viral—this one seeming to show the 23-year-old Morant posing with a gun near his face in the passenger seat of a car. “We are aware of the social media video involving Ja Morant,” a statement from the Grizzlies said. “He is suspended from all team activities pending League review. We have no further comment at this time.”

The video began to circulate Saturday and was since deleted from the account that posted it, belonging to Morant’s friend Davonte Pack, but it has been preserved elsewhere. It bears a striking resemblance to the earlier one, which eventually resulted in an official eight-game suspension handed down by the NBA. Again, Morant could be seen dancing and rapping along to a song; again, what looked like a weapon appeared briefly in his hand.

In the video from Saturday, the camera panned quickly away from Morant after it showed him with the gun.

NBA spokesperson Mike Bass said, “We are aware of the social media post involving Ja Morant and are in the process of gathering information.”

After Morant’s suspension in March, NBA commissioner Adam Silver stressed the importance of one of the league’s youngest star players conducting himself appropriately. “Ja’s conduct was irresponsible, reckless and potentially very dangerous,” Silver said in a statement. “It also has serious consequences given his enormous following and influence, particularly among young fans who look up to him.”

Silver believed, after meeting with Morant, that the player understood his error. “He has expressed sincere contrition and remorse for his behavior,” Silver said. In an interview with ESPN, Morant said he spent time with therapists learning techniques, such as breathing exercises, to manage stress.

Morant’s absence contributed to a tumultuous season for the Grizzlies, who earned the Western Conference’s second playoff seed but lost a first-round series to the seventh-seeded Los Angeles Lakers. It also had a profound effect on Morant’s finances. If he had made an All-NBA team this season, Morant could have boosted his contract’s value by $39 million. After playing just 61 of 82 games, though, he wasn’t voted onto one of the three All-NBA teams.

The two social-media gun incidents are just part of a troublesome stretch for Morant. Last summer, he was accused of punching a 17-year-old during a pickup basketball game, and in a separate incident of intimidating a mall security guard. During the season, members of the Indiana Pacers’ traveling party claimed that someone from a car Morant was riding in trained a laser on their group.

When Morant was away from the team in March, Grizzlies coach Taylor Jenkins described a process of trying to stay patient with Morant while helping him mature. “We’ve had conversations in the past trying to guide him and help him continue to evolve as a person and a player,” Jenkins said. “Obviously this came to a head the other day, so it put this process into action. The hope was that this would never have happened.”

Does this violate some official code of conduct or contractual agreement whereby they agree to not possess firearms?
Would it be different if he was at a shooting range?
Asking because I'm puzzled.
Not caring either way.

A sports-hero for young, Black males to emulate?

When WSJ’s Jenkins wrote of Gun Nuts, he skipped right past this gang/ghetto culture that drives the majority of lethal and non-lethal shootings and focused on the rare mass shootings. Ignoring that most shooting victims are Blacks results in accusations of Racism, but observing that most Blacks are shot by Blacks is called Racist too.

These young Balck males are not Gun Nuts. They’re not even Nuts with Guns. They’re criminal thugs.

Does this violate some official code of conduct or contractual agreement whereby they agree to not possess firearms?

I think it must.

A lot of these leagues have morals clauses that aim to limit the "effect" their behavior has on "the youth of America."

I mean, they're celebrities representing a brand. If they sign on as a part of that brand and then do things the brand tells them not to do, they probably shouldn't be shocked when the brand has an issue with that. This is like when the military cracks down on political speech: they told you not to, then you chose to do it. Granted they're violating your rights, but you had a choice not to join up and then a choice not to follow the rules.

I think it must.

A lot of these leagues have morals clauses that aim to limit the "effect" their behavior has on "the youth of America."

I mean, they're celebrities representing a brand. If they sign on as a part of that brand and then do things the brand tells them not to do, they probably shouldn't be shocked when the brand has an issue with that. This is like when the military cracks down on political speech: they told you not to, then you chose to do it. Granted they're violating your rights, but you had a choice not to join up and then a choice not to follow the rules.
As written, the complaint isn't that he was photographed at a range, or hunting, or in any other way responsibly interacting with firearms. He was photographed displaying a firearm in a strip club. (The location presumes the presence of alcohol, and possibly other mind-effecting substances.)

Regardless of an individual's views on the totality of the situation, it's a bad look for the League, particularly when this is not the first time he's been dinged for the behavior.

The gangsta culture has infected the ghetto and is all these Youts know. They think respect comes from the barrel of al illegal Glock not by accomplishing something. Education and work are for chumps, white folks and Uncle Toms. WE have allowed and paid for this culture to thrive in Black ghetto neighborhoods thru welfare, Section 8 housing , SNAP, etc. This talented athlete is heading down the road to oblivion or jail unless someone slaps the s*** out of him and fires his crew. I was at the gas station last week and some white knuckehead next to me was filling up his truck and a song was blaring and the lyrics were pretty much, "MF Ni**, get the MF Ni***, F*** the MF NI***, etc". I looked at the guy with an expression like WTF and he ignored me. Who the hell writes, performs and listens to this shit?

The NBA and the NFL are 75-80% Black and in the NBA the players run the league. Just look at Smart and Tatum on the Celtics, they pretty much tell the Coach when they are going in and what they're going to do. The ghetto mentality infects way too many of them and they bring their crew along for the ride. These Patriot bobo's keep whining about Belichick but it ain't 2002, Black players care more about the money than winning which I don't blame them for. Back in the day Belichick could get players to play for cheap with the opportunity to play for a Super Bowl ring and then release them a year later. Those days are long gone.

I think it must.

This is it, exactly.

You're no longer John Smith, you're "NBA Player John Smith" or "49er's Quarterback John Smith" etc. And since their name/brand is going to get associated with the things you do, makes sense that they'd want to regulate what gets associated.

"It infringes on my rights..." Uh, sorta, but if you signed something saying you waived those rights/accepted the terms by use or acknowledgement... oh well. Military contract is a good example, so are HOAs, literally any social media platform.....😂

As written, the complaint isn't that he was photographed at a range, or hunting, or in any other way responsibly interacting with firearms. He was photographed displaying a firearm in a strip club. (The location presumes the presence of alcohol, and possibly other mind-effecting substances.)

Regardless of an individual's views on the totality of the situation, it's a bad look for the League, particularly when this is not the first time he's been dinged for the behavior.

The first one was a strip club. This was in a car with his friend and they were doing some type of Tiktok selfie video. When I first saw it, I played it back like 8 times trying to see the gun. It's on screen for like 1/8 of a second and without going through frame by frame, you wouldn't barely notice the blur of what appears to be a handgun. His buddy actually realizes what was happening and turned the camera away immediately.

But that said, you have to be a special kind of dumb to do this a second time when you're basically still on NBA probation from the first. You made it. You beat the odds. You have a 5 year, $194M contract and high visibility for potential endorsements. Why risk that?

Not caring either way.
They sign contracts, in those contracts are conduct clauses.

For me, as a fed, it was 'conduct unbecoming' behavior could get me fired. This, however, is simply people not wanting to admit they have a gang/criminal problem in the NBA and NFL. I'm guessing there are similar problems in the pro baseball and hockey leagues, but it's less obvious.

Not caring either way.
I was curious myself...
Morant could also have run afoul of NBA rules. Under Section 9, Article VI of the CBA, players are prohibited from possessing a firearm “of any kind” in numerous settings, including “whenever a player is traveling on any NBA-related business, whether on behalf of the player’s team, the NBA or any League-related entity.” Although Morant wasn’t partaking in a team-related activity while at Shotgun Willie’s, he was in Glendale as part of his team’s road trip and subject to team rules about personal conduct.

Should he own or possess a firearm, Morant also has a duty under the same provision to provide the Grizzlies proof that he has the proper license and registration. Morant’s relationship to the apparent firearm is not known.

It is the sole discretion of NBA commissioner Adam Silver to determine if Morant violated either gun requirement or otherwise engaged in “conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.” In that scenario, Silver could suspend Morant for a definite or indefinite period and fine him as well.
Ja Morant Gun Controversy Tests Colorado Law, NBA Rules

Second time looked like a dagger from psa

I mean we can all talk about how dumb this was

But let's take a moment to give props to the dude filming

He immediately takes the camera off him when the gun comes out...

He still wasn't fast enough but props for recognizing his meal ticket was f***ing up and trying to bail him out.

Usually those dudes just keep filming

They sign contracts, in those contracts are conduct clauses.

For me, as a fed, it was 'conduct unbecoming' behavior could get me fired. This, however, is simply people not wanting to admit they have a gang/criminal problem in the NBA and NFL. I'm guessing there are similar problems in the pro baseball and hockey leagues, but it's less obvious.
The dude from the jets said it best

We all got guns bro keep that shit off you ig live

Can I hope that when he murders someone, the trial will ALSO be in Fall River? The A-a-ron Hernandez trial was fun to watch from a few blocks away.

Hold up. His name is Ja????

Is he Swedish? German??? Is that cultural appropriation? Ja? Nein?
It's only cultural appropriation or racism when white non-liberals do it. But Ja is a nickname based on his middle name Jamel.

The worst part is he grew up in the same small town in North Carolina as Ray Allen, and was raised with his siblings and parents. This stuff really makes him look like a poser. Hopefully, he'll grow out of it.

He is an idiot who cannot handle a gun safely. Eventually, he is going to kill someone, like Jayson Williams:
Jayson Williams - Wikipedia

or get into a situation like this:

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576918-caron-butler-details-gilbert-arenas-gun-incident-in-new-book

and we'll get a bunch of "it was the gun" articles from idiot sportswriters, and the NBA will spend 10's of millions to ban the evil bad guns.

edit: I have no idea why the link is so small or there is 8 feet of space

Attention seekers are going to seek attention and not always the type that they want.

Back
Top Bottom