• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Metal full-size frame pistol options.

GeorgeMason

NES Member
I’m interested in a metal frame, full sized, preferably 9mm, double stack pistol. It will be a range toy, so I really don’t care about a rail or night sights. I’d like to stay under $1k. The few I’ve been thinking about are the CZ 75, Sig 226, Beretta 92. What guns am I forgetting? I’ve only shot the 226 and Beretta, and while both were great shooters, I definitely preferred the feel of the Beretta.

Smith & Wesson has the entire series of metal 9mm in varying sizes. 5906 model 39, 59 and such. Browning Hi-Power as well.
I have all three of the ones listed plus a few others in the category. Personally the CZ75 SP01 with Cajun Gun Works defensive carry package is awesome. The Beretta is awesome. My only current being the 92Elite LTT which is good to go out of the box.
Sigs are great until you get to play with them compared to some of the others. I love my 226 Legion SAO but sold my original 226 DA/SA and just kept my 229. Would have added the 226 but I'm having a second slide cut for a dot because I don't much care for the Sig dots.
Really depends what you want. for 1000$ you can basically do any of the above except the Legions. If you are also interested in trying any of the combinations out I always need an excuse to go out.
1580518352440.png

Didn't even know about those. Cool to see, but over $1000 and also made by post-2000 Remington. Don't know about OP but pass. That being said double stack 1911 that's not 3000$ or a Para is damn cool.
If you look you can you can find them under a grand. Bud's Guns sells them right around 980. All the reviews seem pretty good.

If you look you can you can find them under a grand. Bud's Guns sells them right around 980. All the reviews seem pretty good.
Yeah, they could have great reviews I am just eternally scarred from Remington's exceptional quality control, but if so that's great to hear for under a thousand even more.

Can't go wrong with either (or, dare I say, all of them) Browning Hi Power definetly belongs on that list.

I absolutely love the BHP but there's four caveats:

*FN no longer makes new BHPs, so if OP is insistent on a new gun, a BHP isn't available in his price range. There's no NOS BHPs available under $1k
*Surplus BHPs can be ratty with shit triggers, shit sights, and are overall worn guns, which OP might find unappealing, but also means $500 +/- BHPs
*Putting a red dot isn't necessarily impossible on a BHP but is tricky and uncommon, if that matters to the OP
*Modern "mouse trap" mags are like $50-100 now that production ended and pre-ban mags, which OP would have in Mass, aren't drop free

I would absolutely trust any fair-condition or better BHP with my life. Basically as long as the gun isn't f*cked. But these days, buying into the BHP platform is rough. Either beat surplus guns, used commercial guns, or NOS. And the gun's behind the curve in terms of modernity (capacity, RDS compatibility).

Last edited by a moderator:
S&W 4006
716006699_1.jpg

Those are all great options. However, if I may...

If you are buying a range toy, why not look to the used market and find something fun. For example, you could get a s&w 59xx and then watch the first two Bad Boyz movies. I dont think they use em any longer in BB3. Nevertheless, third gen smith autoloaders are fun to shoot, absolute tanks, and have good mag availability. Some people dislike the placement and direction of the decocker/safety but seeing as you list 92fs it must not be much of an issue (works same way)

Or

I bought a Springfield P9 right here from a NES member just because it looked similar to a CZ75b (which it is). Did some googling on it and turns out it indeed is a CZ clone made by the Italians and finished stateside. It was only imported for a few years and many of them were built up as race guns. Fun lil range toy with a fun lil history. You might find one at a show for a “deal”

also, if you get the 92fs, get the shiny one. I like my range toys shiny, personally.

Last edited:
CZ-75 SP01 Tactical, or similar.

Sig Legion P226 SAO (this is hitting or over your limit, though, but its worth a mention)

Beretta? Only way I would touch one of those is if I could get a 92X. The original 92 is a bucket of Meh compared to that thing.

-Mike

I'm a big fan of metal framed pistols, I only buy polymer frame models if a too-good-to-refuse deal comes along.
Having owned many of the above listed pistols, The P226 and the Browning Hi-Power rate highest on my list.
I had a Beretta 92, didn't care for it for several reasons.
I've had several S&W autos, 39/59 series variants, even a M645, but never grew fond of any of them.
S&W made some mighty fine revolvers, and I have several examples, but their centerfire autos were always lacking something.
I had a CZ-75b (.40), I wasn't really attached to, couldn't quite get comfortable with the trigger, so I traded it to a member here.
However, I recently replaced it with a stainless Jericho 941, Israeli police trade-in surplus gun, for a very reasonable price.
It takes CZ-75 mags, and has a single action trigger. BIG difference.

92A1, 92X or M9A1
purchase the steel trigger, D-spring and G conversion kit
M9A1's are dirt cheap right now - they are a 92fs but with a rail and better front/rearstrap checking
will keep well below $1k budget
many dealers will transfer the M9A1 because beretta writes "92fs" on the box and the slide

a used P226 is also nice
i would not drop the $$ on a new one

the 75's area wonderful pistols too
not as robust design as the P226 or 92

Last edited:
Shadow 2 can be found right around $1k. Lightly used Legions are under $1k. CZ 75 is in the 6-700 range. All great choices. The curved trigger of the CZ is tough for me to get used to

Back
Top Bottom