• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Metal full-size frame pistol options.

Crap.
For you CZ guys, what’s the pre ban market like for them? I’ve seen the beretta and sig mags here and there in the classifieds.
Saw two in the classifieds for $150 each (selling two for $300)

that’s the one downside to CZ’s.

150 bucks each for mags?! Holy crap, what are they made of? Oh wait...pre healy unobtainium, right?

Pre assault weapon unobtainium. sadly MA kept the mag ban.

in a free state, these are $25-40

Makes square notch Glock mags look like a bargain

Pre assault weapon unobtainium. sadly MA kept the mag ban.

in a free state, these are $25-40

Makes square notch Glock mags look like a bargain

Jeez, I guess so. I had no idea the folks in mass pay that....I was amazed when I saw a price of a mag for my Sig Pro 2022 here in NH at $40. I thought that was insane. I was used to paying $12-15 for my 1911 mags.

For you CZ guys, what’s the pre ban market like for them? I’ve seen the beretta and sig mags here and there in the classifieds.
I’ve got a bunch of 15 rounders. You need to look for CZ pre-b (not to be confused with preban. It’s pre- firing pin block) 15 round mags. Pretty sure they stopped making the pre-b models before the 1994 AWB so they’re good to go. You can occasionally find them on gunbroker.

See photo 5 in this pre-b auction to see what the mags looks like

Last edited:
Crap.

Saw two in the classifieds for $150 each (selling two for $300)

that’s the one downside to CZ’s.
That’s a ripoff. Shit I couldn’t even find buyers when I was selling preban mags for $65. That seller is crazy.

I’m interested in a metal frame, full sized, preferably 9mm, double stack pistol. It will be a range toy, so I really don’t care about a rail or night sights. I’d like to stay under $1k. The few I’ve been thinking about are the CZ 75, Sig 226, Beretta 92. What guns am I forgetting? I’ve only shot the 226 and Beretta, and while both were great shooters, I definitely preferred the feel of the Beretta.

I'll throw another vote in for a CZ
Haven't tried anything in Sig
Qualified on a 92FS, but that was 25+ years ago, don't remember it being good or bad.

IMG_0166.jpg

If you look hard enough you can find them, but not easy. "Proving preban" is a crapshoot. The 10 rnd mecgars aren't expensive. You can also sometimes take old cz clone mags (witness, tanfoglio, etc) and get them to lock slide back with a follower change...

Mecgar makes great magazines. They make magazines for many gun companies and probably make CZ's magazines. Mine look and function like the magazine that came with my CZ75

Mecgar makes great magazines. They make magazines for many gun companies and probably make CZ's magazines. Mine look and function like the magazine that came with my CZ75

Yup, they do make them for CZ. I have a couple. I also have a couple of Mecgars for my SIG SP2022. Rumor has it that Mecgar is the OEM supplier for SIG. They are GTG

Another vote for the Beretta 92FS. Under $600; Pre ban mags are plentiful and cheap if you shop around. These pistols never never hiccup; shoot everything you put thru them, very accurate. The only thing I did for an upgrade was to replace the hammer spring with a Beretta D spring, makes a big difference in the DA/SA trigger pull. Takes about 2 minutes to swap out and cost around 3 bucks. This is my EDC in the cold months and the P365 in the warm months.

Range Toy: Beretta 92FS. Replace the polymer parts with steel and have a ball.

Carry: Go for an Beretta M9 of some flavor (one with removable front and rear sights) so you can actually replace the factory sights with tritium 3 dots. My mistake was thinking I could replace the sights for my 92FS, ordering trijicon sights online at the recommendation of a gun shop owner only to drive all the way over and learn from the gunsmith that there was no way he could replace the front sight because it was part of the slide. I was wicked butt hurt but ultimately was able to return the sights and get a refund no problem.

M9 would be my go-to if I weren’t saving up for my first AR because some also have picatinny rails if you’re looking to really shell out in MA atleast.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Beretta 92FS. Under $600; Pre ban mags are plentiful and cheap if you shop around. These pistols never never hiccup; shoot everything you put thru them, very accurate. The only thing I did for an upgrade was to replace the hammer spring with a Beretta D spring, makes a big difference in the DA/SA trigger pull. Takes about 2 minutes to swap out and cost around 3 bucks. This is my EDC in the cold months and the P365 in the warm months.
This is also a must, D hammer spring is absolutely clutch for the 92FS and these upgrades (trigger, recoil rod, mag release) can all be done with a simple hex key variety set. The safety/decocker you will need a small punch for the installation...heck even for the trigger you may want to use some ‘smith tools because that was also a real pain in the ass without tweezers or anything.

Back
Top Bottom