• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MIDDLE SCHOOLS IN IOWA WILL REQUIRE STUDENTS TO TAKE NEW GUN SAFETY COURSE

mikeyp

NES Member
Two schools in rural Iowa have updated their school curriculum to require middle school students to take a firearms safety course, according to reports.

Clarksville and North Butler school districts will ensure their pupils know how to safely handle a gun during a physical education course focusing on hunter safety.

Joel Foster, superintendent of both schools, says the course aims to prepare students for an active shooter situation. It’s said students will be taught using inoperable guns and replica ammunition.

Pis.jpg

The course will teach students to load and unload ammunition, as well as how to take care of firearms and safely carry a gun.

It’s hoped that the pupils will learn that guns aren’t toys, and garner the proper respect for lethal weapons. The course will last one week, though parents have the option to withdraw their children from classes.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrmI9RoAZeA/?utm_source=ig_embed

Given the amount of school shootings and gun-related incidents that occurred in America last year alone, I think educating our children early could be a very good thing.

REQUIRE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Hmmm. Not a lot of freedom there, I guess. This is up there with "residents are required to own a firearm." As much as I like a well-educated, well-armed populace, REQUIRING is not part of the Constitution.

REQUIRE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Hmmm. Not a lot of freedom there, I guess. This is up there with "residents are required to own a firearm." As much as I like a well-educated, well-armed populace, REQUIRING is not part of the Constitution.
Proper education is great but I prefer that it be elective too. It does say at the end "parents have the option to withdraw their children from classes" so the parents can make the choice for them.

This should be taught to all kids.

At minimum, kids should at least be taught how to make a gun "safe".

Using gun safety rules to unload and clear any type of gun.

I get your point, but schools require students to study English, math, history, etc. Why not require a gun safety course? It may save a life or two.

it should be offered as an elective. And elective where the parents should not be allowed to override the student's decision to take or not.

I called and emailed several MA legislators about having a gun safety program here. Who can guess what the response was? Need a hint?

Kids who complete the class should then be allowed get a carry permit that includes school carry.

It’d be more effective than Florida school resource officers.

We were taught basics and how cartridges are made and work. This was 1977-8 in Norwood public schools.

Two schools in rural Iowa have updated their school curriculum to require middle school students to take a firearms safety course, according to reports.

Clarksville and North Butler school districts will ensure their pupils know how to safely handle a gun during a physical education course focusing on hunter safety.

Joel Foster, superintendent of both schools, says the course aims to prepare students for an active shooter situation. It’s said students will be taught using inoperable guns and replica ammunition.

Pis.jpg

The course will teach students to load and unload ammunition, as well as how to take care of firearms and safely carry a gun.

It’s hoped that the pupils will learn that guns aren’t toys, and garner the proper respect for lethal weapons. The course will last one week, though parents have the option to withdraw their children from classes.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrmI9RoAZeA/?utm_source=ig_embed

Given the amount of school shootings and gun-related incidents that occurred in America last year alone, I think educating our children early could be a very good thing.

There sure as hell is no safety in ignorance! We started our daughters with a Daisy Model 25 BB gun at age 4. Our older daughter got her first .22 rifle at age 6. They were taught that firearms are not toys. I used a Hornady VMax .223 to prove my point, blowing up a water bottle at 50 yards so they could see for themselves how much damage even a small-caliber rifle can do

it should be offered as an elective. And elective where the parents should not be allowed to override the student's decision to take or not.

Disagree. If parents are to be held responsible for kids' (meaning non-adult) behavior, then they should have the authority to exercise control. This carve-out sort of thing is how you end up with a 20-year-old being hospitalized for alcohol poisoning from a binge and the parent(s) being barred from getting details from the medical records, but their 16 year old sibling being able to obtain an abortion, without the parental consent or notification. (Not pro or con abortion, just pointing out a dichotomy).

Iowa boy here. Revolver in the glove box in the HS parking lot was not uncommon. Plinking after school with a 45...

Back
Top Bottom