• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Midway Experience

I thought I would post something about an online and catalog store. I have bought some odds and ends from Midway in the past, and recently, I purchased a rear sandbag rest from them. Well, four uses later, and it was coming apart at a seam. I called Midway, and without the slightest bit of hesitation or arguement, the salesman said, "I'm going to send you a new one".
I said, "you mean for free?" Yup. Apparently, there is still good customer service on the planet.

I have a C&R, but wasn't aware they gave discounts for it. Shipping is a bit steep on ammo, but I gotta tell ya, I'm just overwhelmed at the customer service!!
I mean really, how many of you can honestly say that about a catalog or online company?
If so, let me know, I will shop there as well.

I called Midway today after I messed up an order and forgot a tiny part that would have cost 5-6 bucks to ship if I just went with a separate order. They redid the order without any issues.

I have a C&R, but wasn't aware they gave discounts for it. Shipping is a bit steep on ammo, but I gotta tell ya, I'm just overwhelmed at the customer service!!
I mean really, how many of you can honestly say that about a catalog or online company?
If so, let me know, I will shop there as well.

REI.

It's not firearms equipment but it is outdoors stuff. They have just about everything in their category on line and in their huge showrooms so in-person buying is fun. As a member you get 10% back at the end of the year in a dividend check. And their customer service is fantastic. When I was hiking the Appalachian Trail, on four separate occasions, they Fed Ex overnighted A tent fly, a new sleeping bag, a new jacket and an new Thermarest. They didn't make any of the products but they replaced them for free with one phone call sending them to podunk towns so that I didn't have to get far off the trail.

LLBean.

Also has a no questions asked return or exchange program. In fact, I bought one pair of Vasque boots from them before I left for $140 (ten years ago) I sent them back trashed 900 miles later in VA. They overnighted me a new pair and I was on my way, until NH when I did it again and once again, they replaced them for free no questions asked. 3 pairs for the price of 1.

I am a devoted customer of each of these companies for those and many other reasons.

+1 for the Midway and LLBean recommendations. Both companies consistently provide first-class customer service.

As I type this, I have a small pile of gunsmithing parts on one side of me, and a small pile of clothes on the other side, both which I've been meaning to return to the above companies for months (or, in a couple of cases, years). I know that both piles will be accepted, no questions asked.

And yes, I do need to clean my office [grin]

REI.

It's not firearms equipment but it is outdoors stuff. They have just about everything in their category on line and in their huge showrooms so in-person buying is fun. As a member you get 10% back at the end of the year in a dividend check. And their customer service is fantastic. When I was hiking the Appalachian Trail, on four separate occasions, they Fed Ex overnighted A tent fly, a new sleeping bag, a new jacket and an new Thermarest. They didn't make any of the products but they replaced them for free with one phone call sending them to podunk towns so that I didn't have to get far off the trail.

LLBean.

Also has a no questions asked return or exchange program. In fact, I bought one pair of Vasque boots from them before I left for $140 (ten years ago) I sent them back trashed 900 miles later in VA. They overnighted me a new pair and I was on my way, until NH when I did it again and once again, they replaced them for free no questions asked. 3 pairs for the price of 1.

I am a devoted customer of each of these companies for those and many other reasons.

Don't forget Bass Pro. I've ordered from them in the past...but working there has opened my eyes to what it means for good customer service.

Don't forget Bass Pro. I've ordered from them in the past...but working there has opened my eyes to what it means for good customer service.

What's the chance of bass pro selling more reloading components (bullet heads, brass etc.) I have to order through midway and go to my nephews house in VT. to pick it up. The cost of gas is killing me. Turn on your charm Chris and talk them into it.

I have ordered a few times from Midway, and it has been good. Nice to hear how ya'll feel about them - it will encourage me to continue ordering.

What's the chance of bass pro selling more reloading components (bullet heads, brass etc.) I have to order through midway and go to my nephews house in VT. to pick it up. The cost of gas is killing me. Turn on your charm Chris and talk them into it.

Word is, after the Hunting Classic, we're going to carry a full line of reloading equipment. It's up in the air, depending on who you talk to, if we're going to have bulk lead or not....

REI.

LLBean.

I love REI. I had no idea LLBean had a similar policy. My hiking boots are about to fall apart... I'm torn about trying to just get them replaced at REI. They are natual wear and tear...but they shouldn't be going after only around 7,000 miles of hiking/walking in 5-6 years.

they gave me a huge savings on my Birthday! They are great, I didn't realize they would give discounts for C&R license, how do you go about getting that to them? Do you just mail it? Also, what kind of savings are we talking about? If it's too much for Martha to deal with PM me! [smile]

they gave me a huge savings on my Birthday! They are great, I didn't realize they would give discounts for C&R license, how do you go about getting that to them? Do you just mail it? Also, what kind of savings are we talking about? If it's too much for Martha to deal with PM me! [smile]

The discounts depend upon the items. On some of the more popular items you get about a $0.01 discount [rolleyes]. But on some other stuff you can get up to 20% off. The discounts are usually around the 5-10% mark. Not bad at all. I've saved plenty using the C&R discount.

How to get the discount. They say to mail or fax your C&R FFL, but if I remember correctly, I just emailed them a copy.

how do you go about getting that to them? Do you just mail it?

Just call their customer service, and let them know that you will be faxing a copy to be added to your account. Then just write your account number on the fax cover sheet, and send it off.

EMS is good, too - at least, in the stores. I have no experience ordering online, so I can't speak to that.

I bought a pair of Superfeet insoles - the green ones. My podiatrist advised me to get the blue ones instead (they're a bit less aggressive). I went back, went to get a set... and while talking to the sales rep, he learns that I've got the green ones IN MY SHOES AT THAT MOMENT. He tells me to just RETURN THEM and he'll give me the blue ones free in exchange! I never asked, I just assumed that I'd have to buy the new set... and without my asking anything, they offered to swap them, and did!

And since there's an EMS less than 3 miles from my house, I have no qualms whatsoever shopping there again.

And yes, I've had great experiences with MidwayUSA, too - there are some companies out there that will do whatever it takes to make a customer happy, and they're one of them.

Last edited:
I have always had great purchase and customer service experiences from Midway.

+1

Over the past few months I became addicted to Midway. With my C&R discount they can't be beat for a mailorder company. I purchased a few items and decided that I didn't want/need them and returned them. The same day they got them back, my refund was on it's way back to me.

I was disappointed on 1 item. It was an Aimpoint Red Dot scope that was 'used' when I got it. I knew it was used because there was a small scratch on the lens and it came with the battery already installed (my other Aimpoint did not have the battery pre-installed). Sent it back and got my refund no problem.

EMS is good, too - at least, in the stores. I have no experience ordering online, so I can't speak to that.

I bought a pair of Superfeet insoles - the green ones. My podiatrist advised me to get the blue ones instead (they're a bit less aggressive). I went back, went to get a set... and while talking to the sales rep, he learns that I've got the green ones IN MY SHOES AT THAT MOMENT. He tells me to just RETURN THEM and he'll give me the blue ones free in exchange! I never asked, I just assumed that I'd have to buy the new set... and without my asking anything, they offered to swap them, and did!

And since there's an EMS less than 3 miles from my house, I have no qualms whatsoever shopping there again.

And yes, I've had great experiences with MidwayUSA, too - there are some companies out there that will do whatever it takes to make a customer happy, and they're one of them.

REI is the same way. I had a jacket that the inside was wearing down... I brought it back and they said it is common with that style and the newer ones were improved and gave me my money back. I went to buy the newer one and it was $20 more. Took $20 off the cost and I walked out with a new jacket that was $20 more than the one I bought three years earlier and was going bad.

Another time I had my backpack on and was sitting on the ground leaning against a rock. Well I tore the backpack on the rock... they said they'd either repair or replace it. When I showed it to them they said they couldn't repair it due to the location but they'd give me a new one. I decided just to duct tape it and would bring it back if it got bigger or more of a problem (a penny would have a hard time falling out of the hole).

Back
Top Bottom