• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military Arms (e.g. M1 and 1911) 2-gun match: May 29, 2011

Well, for all of you who missed this, it simply ROCKED.

Mars set up four great stages requiring 16 rounds from a rifle and 12 rounds from a pistol. The most seen rifle was, of course, the venerable M1 Garand. On our squad, there was also a SMLE, an O3 Springfield and an SKS. (It was amusing watching the SKS shooter dump his last few rounds as a way of clearing the rifle rather than rack the bolt and open the magazine...)

I did note during the shoot that it took a 30-06 to make a .45 sound quiet... All the stages started with the shooter using his rifle and then transitioning to his pistol. Rifle racks were placed at each stage so rifles never had to be placed on the dirt.

Anyway, all the shooters on our squad (which included Luv2BFree, SJan, Dirtypacman, Kid Presentable (with DanboSMASH watching)) agreed that we need to do this again.

Run'n gun with classic battle rifles - does it get any better than this??? This was just a GREAT shoot all the way around. And I even learned a couple more things about my Garand that I didn't know - this is one of the GREAT things about the gunnie crowd; shooters like to share knowledge about their guns.

So, Mars... when's the next one?

Nicole and I had a great time at our first match like this. Another MARS match will see us there. Thank you for all the great help for a new action shooting match competitior. Everyone was helpful and we had fun.

Ross, our squad had a man shooting a Mosin which was fun to watch.

Ross, our squad had a man shooting a Mosin which was fun to watch.

Yeah, I saw the spent brass lying around so I knew there was a Mosin somewhere! [laugh]

Hey Ross,
Did anyone on your squad get the grenade in the "pit"?

YES!!!!!

Luv2BFree, the LAST shooter, nailed it.

BTW, Adam, I'm sorry I didn't see you & Nicole - I was giving you a bit of free advertising. In fact, the club President was on my squad and was asking where Acme Armament was located!

Last edited:
YES!!!!!

Luv2BFree, the LAST shooter, nailed it.

BTW, Adam, I'm sorry I didn't see you & Nicole - I was giving you a bit of free advertising. In fact, the club President was on my squad and was asking where Acme Armament was located!

Excellent that someone got the rock in.

I saw that. Thank you. You could always point him to http://www.acmearmament.com if you can't figure out how to get to Plympton.

Seconding Adam - the match today was a fantastic time. Thank you so much to everyone for your patience with the newbs such as myself...you definitely won several converts to action shooting and we will be back for more. [smile]

I learned a ton and enjoyed the company immensely. Kudos to Ira and the other people running the match, you guys did a great job putting together a really fun day [grin].

If you want to see all of our pics, the mother lode is here, but a brief overview of the day for the competitors in the Acme truck...

Adam and I decided to have fun with the theme and dress in pseudo-period clothing...

P5290416.jpg

Adam aka Fidel, was running his 1951 production Government Model 1911. When he acquired it earlier this spring it was unissued and unfired. For a rifle he brought his Springfield M1 Garand with a beech? stock.

P5290455.jpg

163398036_photobucket_19015_.jpg

163398036_photobucket_19022_.jpg

P5290459.jpg

P5290458.jpg

163398036_photobucket_19025_.jpg

I brought my 1943 Postal Meter carbine (reimported from Israel)...beat to heck but it shoots great. My handgun is my WWII Ithaca which has been sporterized in the interim (not by me). The heat got to me after two stages and I returned to the modern era and Coolmax. [grin]

I was reminded quite forcefully that if things fail, they will of course fail in public. After carefully testing my guns with all our mags and the ammo I intended to use, my 1911 started crapping out in the second stage and gave me a failure to extract on every round in stage 3. The extractor appeared intact, so after wiping the extractor and chamber out, I gave it another try and sailed through Stage 4 with no problems. When we got home, we found the extractor has lost about half of the critical edge *doh*. Parts order going out tonight. [thinking]

P5290431.jpg

P5290434.jpg

P5290466.jpg

163398036_photobucket_19026_.jpg

Jshooter rode up with us and brought along his M1 Garand and a very sweet modern production 1911. He actually knows what he's doing and moves so fast in the pistol stages that my (admittedly crappy) cameras have a really hard time keeping up.

163398036_photobucket_19005_.jpg

P5290447.jpg

P5290449.jpg

163398036_photobucket_19009_.jpg

And finally...Bill. Who has amazing heat tolerance and did every stage in complete, period correct gear. [rockon]

P5290418.jpg

This was a great match! Similar to a USPSA match with old school guns. Great to see some people wearing period gear and thanks to Martha Coakley, no one got bayoneted! [thumbsup]

My favorite was the stage with the two targets in the trenches. You had to lean over the baricade and do'em ugly like! A close second was the stage that started with the grenade toss. Oh and by the way, the only person in our squad that was sucessful with the grenade toss was Alix! She was the last shooter of the stage and she decided to show all the "men" (including myself), how it's done! Great job Alix!

I'm definitely in for any future matches like this one.

JSlayer

Bill. Who has amazing heat tolerance and did every stage in complete, period correct gear. [rockon]

P5290418.jpg

We're not worthy!!!!
[bow][bow][bow][bow][bow]

Most of the time I was using my 1953 Springfield Garand (affectionately known to all as Betsy) and a SW1911. Alix (Luv2BFree) borrowed Betsy and used my Officer's Model Colt. The last stage I manned up and used my 1943 No 1 Mk III* Enfield... strangely enough, I think I was more accurate with the Enfield. Very odd, considering I have such a hell of a time getting a decent cheek weld with it.
noclue.gif

I have two other guns that need some gunsmith time (a Sistema Colt that needs a decent rear sight, and a Plainfield M1 Carbine with all sorts of feed issues) that could well make some appearances in the future.

BTW... Here's Alix, wearing an absolutely period hat - her father gave it to her when he found out she was going to be doing this shoot. He wore it in WWII.

IMAG0437.jpg

Seconding Adam - the match today was a fantastic time. Thank you so much to everyone for your patience with the newbs such as myself...you definitely won several converts to action shooting and we will be back for more. [smile]

I learned a ton and enjoyed the company immensely. Kudos to Ira and the other people running the match, you guys did a great job putting together a really fun day [grin].

If you want to see all of our pics, the mother lode is here, but a brief overview of the day for the competitors in the Acme truck...

Adam and I decided to have fun with the theme and dress in pseudo-period clothing...

P5290416.jpg

Adam aka Fidel, was running his 1951 production Government Model 1911. When he acquired it earlier this spring it was unissued and unfired. For a rifle he brought his Springfield M1 Garand with a beech? stock.

P5290455.jpg

All of these pictures are awesome! You two both did great today too!! you should really check out a regular monthly match at Harvard. I think you both would have such a blast...

The match was a great success today and Bill's period gear made my day. Stages were simple for newbees but fun for all. Nice job guys. Vids to come.

I had an unbelievable time... so much fun. Thank you to the RO's for their patience and my other squad members for excusing my bad etiquette (sorry for the muzzle problems). I will be working on my safety and getting some better gear that is more suited. Since it was my first time participating in anything like this all I can say is I want more. Can't wait for next time :)

Could someone post the course of fire? Nothing elaborate, just the number of rounds necessary to complete the match.

Last edited:
Could someone post the course of fire? Nothing elaborate, just the number of rounds necessary to complete the match.

There was only one necessary reload per firearm, per stage. As long as you didn't miss, I think you only needed 16 rounds per firearm, per stage max. There were 4 stages, so roughly 64 rifle rounds and 64 pistol rounds give or take a few rounds.

Like Dwarven1 pointed out, over the course of the day I dumped at least 16 rounds down range just so I wouldn't have to clear the rifle manually. That pushed my rifle round count into the 80's. Not bad for a full day of fun!

JSlayer

Like Dwarven1 pointed out, over the course of the day I dumped at least 16 rounds down range just so I wouldn't have to clear the rifle manually. That pushed my rifle round count into the 80's. Not bad for a full day of fun!

One thing I wanted to ask - couldn't you have just put 6 or 8 rounds onto one of your stripper clips and loaded that way?

One thing I wanted to ask - couldn't you have just put 6 or 8 rounds onto one of your stripper clips and loaded that way?

Yes, I could have but then I would have been screwed for any misses or bad hits that required a make up shot. Plus, I wouldn't have been able to give you a good laugh! [smile]

JSlayer

MFP, I didn't have you listed in the Hi-Cap division. What's your first name, last initial please and I'll get it changed. Thanks,

JSlayer

I took the liberty of tweaking the results so that each stage is in the order of fastest corrected time. Also, fixed some firearms types. Let me know if there are any other suggestions for breaking down the match, or if there are any additions/corrections for these two files:

View attachment 18000
View attachment 18001

JSlayer

hey man thanks doin this...had a great time shootin' with everyone. hopefully this can be an annual event.

thanks again and nice meeting everyone

Alan

Back
Top Bottom