• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military bolt-action hunting?

Kar98 Sniper

Banned
Would a German K98 make a make a good hunting rifle without a scope? With a scope?

How about an Enfield?

or an 1903?

I only want military rifles. Which one would be best for taking down a deer? Probably all, but which would you go with, considering weight, accuracy, and recoil mostly.

Any input would be appreciated.

An M1903A3 or an M1917 are superior to all other milsurp bolt actions due to the fact that they use an aperture rear sight close to your eye (on the receiver's rear bridge) instead of a V or U notch rear sight mounted over the receiver's front bridge like the M1903 and all European military rifles.

Use hunting (not milsurp) ammo loaded with quality expanding hunting bullets and any military surplus bolt action rifle will kill any north american game animal deader than a doornail.

...How about an Enfield?
Any input would be appreciated.
The Enfield would be a good choice. You could drop the barreled action into one of the synthetic sporter stocks for deer season and the put the issue wood back on it after. The .303 is a very good big game caliber and there is lots of soft point ammo available.
Another good one might be the 7.62x39mm SKS rifle. It is easy to drop it into a synthetic stock and add a 5-round mag, if needed. The SKS rifles have good accuracy and adequate power for the ranges that you are likely to encounter deer in the northeast.
Last, but not least, there is the Mosin Nagant M38 carbine, in 7.62x54mm. This one is just about right, as issued, for any game up to the size of a moose. Despite what the whiners say, the recoil really isn't bad at all. There are outfits that make a taller front sight to bring the poi down to 100 yards, or you can modify the issue sight fairly simply by removing the pin and replacing it with a taller one.

Those would be my first choices but there are many other readily available milsurp rifles, if you don't mind a little extra weight or length.

Jack

Another good one might be the 7.62x39mm SKS rifle. It is easy to drop it into a synthetic stock and add a 5-round mag, if needed. The SKS rifles have good accuracy and adequate power for the ranges that you are likely to encounter deer in the northeast.

Well I got one of those!

But a 5 round-mag!!?!?!

Can't I just put 5 rounds in the #$%@'n gun?

Like in NH maybe?

Would there be any problem with me taking my Yugo, unaltered, to NH to shoot a deer, if I load 5 rounds into the magazine?

Well I got one of those!

But a 5 round-mag!!?!?!

Can't I just put 5 rounds in the #$%@'n gun?

Like in NH maybe?

Would there be any problem with me taking my Yugo, unaltered, to NH to shoot a deer, if I load 5 rounds into the magazine?

You will have to check the hunting regs for each state that you go to. Some states restrict you to 5 round mag capacity in rifles. It may be legal to put a temporary filler block in the bottom of the mag to reduce the capacity, but SKS parts are so cheap that it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Jack

There is no need to mess with changing stocks. Who cares if the rifle looks exactly like what it is? Military rifles were meant to be used. Hard. Hunting with them a few days out of the year is nothing.

Mauser?

8mm, .303, 30-06, 7.63 and .223 will all take down a deer.

It is Against the law in all 50 state to use full metal jacket for big game. Praire Dogs and Coyotes can withstand the FMJ their tough!

Get some soft point bullets in your favorite caliber and keep your shots at close range 100 yards or less is good with iron sights.

5 shots is the limit for all auto loader and bolt action and pump action rifles in most states. Lever actions cal hold as many as they take. Plug your magizine.

I have never seen nor used more than 2 shots being needed to take down deer. If your blasting into the forest you need more time at the range.

Once your deer is down, cut its artery to bleed it out . If its not quite dead; wack it in the head with a piece of wood to knock it out or shoot it in the head if you really must.

MOOSE: Allways make sure thir Eyes are wide open. If they are closed thaey are not dead. Before gutting the moose. Rotate each leg fully to break any stored kinetic energy or it may hoof you to death even dead. Cut its spine at the neck to sever synops.

Just like shooting Sharks. Never bring one in the boat until you sever its spinal colume.

Know your target and know what you will kill if youu miss.

Deer_and_cow-773858.JPG

icon_no_return.gif

OK I Was temporaly confused by the facts. You CAN USE FMJ bulletts in some states on some game some of the time.

I dont know why you would want to?

Magizines must Permantly be changed to accept mo more than 5 rounds. and one in the tube. total of 6 shots.

Now Im regreting not buying the 2 nice 8mm Mausers from a friend that went through a divorce. He was only asking $50 each so his wife would not get them.

Last edited:
An M1903A3 or an M1917 are superior to all other milsurp bolt actions due to the fact that they use an aperture rear sight close to your eye (on the receiver's rear bridge) instead of a V or U notch rear sight mounted over the receiver's front bridge like the M1903 and all European military rifles.
Enfield No. 4 also has an aperture sight on the rear bridge of the receiver and would make a decent hunting rifle (although a bit long and heavy).

Do you mean that an SKS must be changed to a 5 round magazine?

Or that you can only have 5 rounds in a 10 round magazine?
When hunting regulations specify a magazine capacity limit (whatever that may be), without exception they mean that the magazine CANNOT physically accept more than the specified number of cartridges. You cannot simply just download your mag to the limit. You will certainly get a citation from the wardens for it, maybe arrested.

Jose, that's not entirely correct. The No.4 Enfields have a rear mounted apeture sight as well. And although I do prefer rear mounted sights, the Schmidt Rubins, among others, get exceptional accuracy anyway.

If I can get my license in time and find the time to go, I plan to use one of my K31s as that's what I shoot best out of the bunch. The 1917 is close. The Remington PSS is what I'm best with but it's freaking heavy. The Enfield is a possibility as well.

Use hunting (not milsurp) ammo loaded with quality expanding hunting bullets and any military surplus bolt action rifle will kill any north american game animal deader than a doornail.

Do you mean that an SKS must be changed to a 5 round magazine?
You could glue a wooden block into the bottom of the mag housing to restrict the capacity for hunting, or just buy a five round mag from one of the parts vendors.
Or that you can only have 5 rounds in a 10 round magazine?
Nope, it is the capacity of the magazine that is restricted, not the number of cartridges that you have loaded. That is why 5 rounders are available for most milsurp rifles.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom