• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

military brass - newbie question

Guys:
Having a tough time un-priming some pieces of mil brass. I use the Lee universal de-capper and on some of the cases, the decapping pin slides up (to those that dont use Lee, this is a safety device built in so you done bend/break the de-capper when you apply too much force).

How do you get the tough ones out??

I think the dillon super swager takes care of the brass after you get the primer out, but does it de-cap as well??

Are you sure the brass is boxer primed and not beridan primed? Look into the case under good light. If there are 2 small flash holes it is beridan primed. It's not worth the effort to reload this brass. If you see one hole, and the primers are just very hard to push out, simply crank down the tension on your decaping pin nut. I haven't found a case yet that my Lee die won't decap.

Also, some flash holes are very small, smaller than the decapping pin. You can either wiggle the cases around until the pin catches in the hole or carefully grind down your decapping pin to a smaller diameter.

But, if you have to go to these lengths, it's usually easiest to just junk that case.

Thanks... I know the brass is boxer primed as I get about 80% to pop with my existing depriming tool... I'll try the above and see what happens... Also, I think I will make a pile of this stuff instead of chucking it... Never know when you will need a winter project [laugh]

I don't think the universal de cappers do all that good a job of aligning the pin. I had one for .223 and never really got the kind of results I wanted to get. I think it is probably bottoming out on the head of the case unless you get it just right (depending on the case)

B

Ive got the same de-capper and I REALLY have to tighten the nut that holds the pin. I have to tighten it so hard that I think Ill break it, but its still cranking them out. And they are cheap enough that if it breaks, Ive gotten my $$ out of it.

Ive got the same de-capper and I REALLY have to tighten the nut that holds the pin. I have to tighten it so hard that I think Ill break it, but its still cranking them out. And they are cheap enough that if it breaks, Ive gotten my $$ out of it.

Yup.. ordered some from Midway .. $1.99 each.. I guess slow and steady wins the race[laugh].. tnx again

Back
Top Bottom