Military pay and liberals...

heres a email I just recived and posted on FB... Thought some of you may be interested as well...

CINDY WILLIAMS was appointed by Clinton as an Assistant Director for NATIONAL SECURITY in the Congressional Budget Office......

This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America .

Ms. Cindy William wrote a piece for the Washington Times denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year citing that she stated a 13% wage increase was more than they deserve.

A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

"Ms Williams:

I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GI's earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes per month. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for "Network Technicians" in the Washington, D.C. Area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three yearsˆ™ experience in my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum.............. I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces.

Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN ; I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience."

As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone. Obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night, and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE's (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.

Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't be nearly long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your open piece.

But, tomorrow from KABUL , I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment right and every other right you cherish...On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective noses at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms.. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve?

A1C Michael Bragg,
Hill AFB AFNCC

IF YOU AGREE,

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO

AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN.

Last edited:
Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/gipay.asp

You should keep the crap and poop in your email and facebook, respectively.

did you actualy read that snopes? the only things that they said isnt true is that the "CINDY WILLIAMS" that wrote the article is not the actress by the same name (and what I posted never said it was). It also said that she worked for clinton, not obama. I dont really see that as a change (though I will edit the OP to change that). It was still a idiot lib who has no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited:
did you actualy read that snopes? the only things that they said isnt true is that the "CINDY WILLIAMS" that wrote the article is not the actress by the same name (and what I posted never said it was). It also said that she worked for clinton, not obama. I dont really see that as a change (though I will edit the OP to change that). It was still a idiot lib who has no idea what they are talking about.

Yeah I did read it. That's why I posted it. Did you do some homework before spreading this crap around? Who cares about an editorial written over 10 years ago?

Last edited:
The original article this "letter" was refering to is below. Even though the spam you received made edits to make it seem more recent, the original letter in response was also from 13 years ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33607-2000Jan11.html

I can only speak for the present, but I'm currently on Active Duty and we get payed pretty well between Base Pay, tax free BAS, and tax free BAH. And for 2013 our base pay and BAH went up! And while I was in Afghanistan everything was tax free, plus I got Family Sep, imminent danger pay and hardship duty pay even though I'm a Pogue. Oh yeah, and free healthcare for me and my wife. All I know is I'm making more than I would as a civilian doing the same function, but I am on call essentially 24/7 if needed, no overtime pay, and can always get sent to some shitty part of the world as the trade off.

There are definitely some tech jobs in the military that pay better in the civilian world, but a lot of those Soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Sailors get out after their initial enlistment and get a sweet contracting or civ job with their military experience. Getting payed less initially for the free training seems like a fair trade.

...And her article from 13 years ago seems pretty well written and researched

Last edited:
Yeah I did read it. That's why I posted it. Did you do some homework before spreading this crap around? Who cares about an editorial written over 10 years ago?

but your snopes post said that mrs williams DID write the editorial and the airman DID respond. The letter I posted said nothing about the actress and I changed the obama/clinton bit.
So you dont think that anything older then what, 2 years? 3? is valid? That means that you bitch and moan about all the posts regarurding the first AWB? and everything involveing other bans around the world?

I never said it was current, just interesting and a example of how libs think. If you dont like it, dont read it. (I have no problem fixing things that are incorrect but as your link PROVES, it was correct...)

I understand that it is old, it was still relevent to how certin people think. Or do you think that people such as her have changed there stance on such topics? From what I have been able to find, the letter is true, but as you have said, its been updated. I cant even say the exact numbers where all that relevent to the topic of the responce. Williams was saying that the military already made enough money. The airmans response was that they didnt due to XYZ. I just get tired of hearing libs B and moan about military pay, while supporting college professors and public service people getting high 6 digit pay and thought this was a good example of that mideset.

I appologise to all for not stating that this isnt a current event??

The original article this "letter" was refering to is below. Even though the spam you received made edits to make it seem more recent, the original letter in response was also from 13 years ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33607-2000Jan11.html

I can only speak for the present, but I'm currently on Active Duty and we get payed pretty well between Base Pay, tax free BAS, and tax free BAH. And for 2013 our base pay and BAH went up! And while I was in Afghanistan everything was tax free, plus I got Family Sep, imminent danger pay and hardship duty pay even though I'm a Pogue. Oh yeah, and free healthcare for me and my wife. All I know is I'm making more than I would as a civilian doing the same function, but I am on call essentially 24/7 if needed, no overtime pay, and can always get sent to some shitty part of the world as the trade off.

There are definitely some tech jobs in the military that pay better in the civilian world, but a lot of those Soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Sailors get out after their initial enlistment and get a sweet contracting or civ job with their military experience. Getting payed less initially for the free training seems like a fair trade.

...And her article from 13 years ago seems pretty well written and researched

Yeah and My raise was only 1.7% of Cost of Living increase. But the tax increase (well not increase but the break they gave us) pretty much cancels out the 1.7% and makes me get a decrease it pay anyway this year.

Honestly, I remember being an e3 and getting a whole lot less than that.

In fact, I believe my take home in 1992 was 289 every 2....
sent from the Times Two Tavern via Nexus 7

Yeah and My raise was only 1.7% of Cost of Living increase. But the tax increase (well not increase but the break they gave us) pretty much cancels out the 1.7% and makes me get a decrease it pay anyway this year.

We got, what, a 1.3% base pay raise this year? And with 2% more in taxes, that's still a net loss on base pay. But as someone mentioned, BAS and BAH both went up (BAH went up quite a bit in some MHA's - $190 for E-6/with in my area).

Someone else mentioned we really don't get paid that badly - and in some paygrades and in some areas, that's true. As an E-6 over 12, getting enough BAH to cover decent housing, with access to reasonable health care for my family in the area, I can't complain too much. I'll take every single dime I can get, don't get me wrong. If I was an E-2/3 under 4 with a wife and two kids, limited to shitty, ghetto military housing or laughably low BAH that limited me to a shady trailer park or going out of pocket, and having to travel quite a bit to find medical care for my family that Tricare will ultimately pay for (because ****ing Tricare NEVER pays the first time around), it would be another story. Junior enlisted don't get paid squat.

Back
Top Bottom