Military Sidearm Winter Shoot

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I figured I'd host this year. Since it's a major effort now for me to field a rifle, and since we've never done a military handgun shoot, I thought we'd try it.

Rules are simple. ANY MILITARY Issued sidearm of ANY ERA. Pistols or Revolvers. Any seconded military used firearm with PROVENANCE; like my 1915 M14 Mauser with it's Imperial Proof, a U.S. Property Victory revolver, etc. Any foreign weapon taken into military service; like the CZ27, 1910/22 Browning, M34/35 Beretta, etc. No clones....don't even know if there are any.

I'll root around my stuff now that I've cleaned up my office and gun storage areas for a worthy prize. Below is a scanned attachment of a NRA 50 foot target. Just print it out on a piece of paper and we're all equal. Distance 50 feet for those like me who can barely see the target. As handgun capacities can vary significantly, let's say two of whatever you have: two 6-shot cylinders, two 7 round .45acp magazines, two eight round magazines of .32acp or 9mm parabellum, etc.

Tentative end date: the spring equinox.
12 rounds, 50 feet

t

Attachments

• pistol target.jpeg
    pistol target.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Germany?

Wasn't thinking of modern era in the terms of high-capacity magazines. So if you have a deep magazine of 12-15, then once will be enough.

t

P95d was issued in some form to tank crews.... Hmmmm

I assume this has to be one which was actually surprised or brought back, not just the same model and configuration.

(Goes and checks sites for a surplus. )

Cool. I can dig out the P.08. I'll have to ask my friend if I can use his Steyr 1914 that was converted to 9mm - it's got the 08 on the slide signifying that it can take P.08 ammunition. (I'm storing it for him until he gets his LTC back)

Question - my wife has a Colt 1892 that family history says her grandfather carried in the Spanish American war, but it appears to be a civilian model, so if the family history is true he no doubt bought it privately. I'm guessing family legend isn't enough? (it is a fact that he DID serve in the Spanish American war.)

No clones....don't even know if there are any.
I have a Colt SAA clone. I won't use it for this as it is, well, a clone.
My P226 is commercial and not surplus.

But, I should be able to shoot my Hi-Power and my Makarov.

You might get more interest with clones, but I get your intent. Hopedale might be interested in hosting a few “open” hours for anyone to compete. I do think you need to specify total number of shots to make scoring fair and consistent. We could probably help with a prize. Maybe have a revolver and pistol class?

Well doubling the smallest capacity of 6, is 12 rounds per target. This is a MilSurp forum, hence my intent. One category is fine...may become too lopsided if I split the contest in half. I will reconsider depending on how many targets come of each come in.

So 12 rounds per target.

t

Last edited:
As many as you want. The original intent of this event and years past was just motivation to get people out to shoot in winter.

t

As many as you want. The original intent of this event and years past was just motivation to get people out to shoot in winter.

t

Ok. I shot IDPA at Old Colony last weekend with a few dozen other eskimos and the temp was hovering around 17 degrees at first shots. Yoiks.

Per PMs; this is not an actual in-the-flesh event. The old folks of this forum have had an informal "postal" winter shoot for several years now. This is just handguns this time around, unless some one else sponsors a rifle event this year.

t

I won't get to play much; not that my entries counted anyways as I'm the sponsor. On February 5 I get my right rotator cuff put back together for the second time. Originally had 2 tendons remounted to the ball of the shoulder in '09. Packing and moving to New Bedford in '17/'18 I ripped the mounts out of the bone. 1 month after I finally got diagnosed, I had my heart attack and surgery was postponed. Been waiting 14 months since then to get it done. Allegedly I can't drive for 6 weeks after.

t

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom