Millionaire tech entrepreneur shot by cops while defending his home from burglar

So sad. Exact example of what NOT to do when a cop shows up at your house. Step 1 - Don't be brown. Also would help - don't be holding a tricked out assault weapon outside where scared neighbors can see. Before the cop car even rolls up your block, you need to make sure gun is nowhere NEAR you, get on the ground on you knees, cross your lower legs and stretch out both hands high in the air and open the webbing of your fingers so the cop can see your hands are no threat -- for AHHFISAHHH SAFETY. By following these sensible directions, you might not be killed by the cop and quad tapped with his patrol rifle as soon as he exits the cruiser. Be prepared to have a scared rookie with a patrol rifle pointed at your head barking orders to get on the ground, get kneed at the back of the neck and cuffed before you have a chance to have a conversation with the cop and apprise him of the situation.

At the beginning of the video he is talking to someone and it sounds like he’s saying, “Do you want this? Are you sure?” And then shoots twice into his home as the police drove by, and then they stop, get out and blast him while telling him to drop the gun. Was there a 911 call that the officers were responding to? Did someone break into his home and he was shooting at them as the police were responding?

If I heard noises outside, saw someone breaking into my truck or shed, or stealing anything, I'd call the police, and stay inside, far out of the way.

I pay whopping taxes to live where I do. It makes infinite sense to let the police deal with issues that don't put me in immediate danger.

The cost to defend a justifiable shoot is easily going to run 6 to 7 figures. George Zimmerman's completely justifiable shoot cost him well over a million.
There is no way in hell I'm going to risk shooting someone because they are stealing my lawnmower.

I don't understand this NES response of, call the police and wait inside. The guy is outside his house pointing the gun IN, he shoots INTO his house, obviously something is going on inside. Maybe he should have ran down the street or to his neighbor (not with rifle in hand), but would YOU throw down your rifle into the grass and flee with your back to the threat inside your home? Does he live alone, does he have family in there?

Whatever the situation was, there is NO REASON a cop should exit his car and IMMEDIATELY fire upon this guy without even issuing a command to him, unless the guy is actively shooting at the cop. The cop is firing before even finishing his "Drop the gun!". What the heck.

So sad. Exact example of what NOT to do when a cop shows up at your house. Step 1 - Don't be brown. Also would help - don't be holding a tricked out assault weapon outside where scared neighbors can see. Before the cop car even rolls up your block, you need to make sure gun is nowhere NEAR you, get on the ground on you knees, cross your lower legs and stretch out both hands high in the air and open the webbing of your fingers so the cop can see your hands are no threat -- for AHHFISAHHH SAFETY. By following these sensible directions, you might not be killed by the cop and quad tapped with his patrol rifle as soon as he exits the cruiser. Be prepared to have a scared rookie with a patrol rifle pointed at your head barking orders to get on the ground, get kneed at the back of the neck and cuffed before you have a chance to have a conversation with the cop and apprise him of the situation.
What does being brown have to do with it? Typical useless racist post by you.
B00641C3-8C12-4050-8786-20298A9AD231.jpeg

Oooh!!!!!

I've got a new home security idea.

If I identify as Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, my chances of a break-in drop precipitously! Hakuna Matata, my friends!!!

As far as this, lots of stupid going around.

Oooh!!!!!

I've got a new home security idea.

If I identify as Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, my chances of a break-in drop precipitously! Hakuna Matata, my friends!!!

As far as this, lots of stupid going around.
Ummmm…. HaKuna Matata is African Swahili.

How would being a native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander help🤔🤔

Sad incident. I expect gun owners to know how to handle firearms especially when police are on their way. I think the preliminary shots that Raj fired set off the alarm for the police. However, I didn't see Raj point the gun towards the police. Merely holding a gun (and dispatch knowing that the home was being actively defended) isn't a reason to start shooting the first person you see. Tough situation.

This is a weird one. I don't see how being brown had anything to do with what happened. I think its more firing a rifle into a house. That tends to put police on edge when they show up. Even if it is your house. Unfortunately, it sounds like the person who was shot was not a perpetrator in the sense that he was an armed burglar, since he was the homeowner.

I didn't see in the video if it showed whether or not he was pointing it at police when they confronted him. So, I don't know if they were justified or not. Its a difficult situation, and I am not in a position to claim to be able to pass judgement on that.

Whatever the situation was, there is NO REASON a cop should exit his car and IMMEDIATELY fire upon this guy without even issuing a command to him, unless the guy is actively shooting at the cop. The cop is firing before even finishing his "Drop the gun!". What the heck.
Did he point the rifle toward the police when they arrived? I didn't see if this part was captured in the video.

These are horrible instructions. Dispatch can ask the responding officers if they have specific instructions for you. If you're home alone with an infant or toddler, leaving the child unattended inside could lead charges. It could be 32 degrees and pouring rain, subjecting you to hypothermia. An 'idiots-collide' moment involving a panicked passer-by action-junky could get you blasted. Maybe you're on the 5th floor of an apartment building and don't even have an outside other than a stairwell. In MA, if you're outside and your gun is inside you have left a firearm and ammunition unsecured - that's a charge. The knees/legs/hands thing is fine, and so is the living room or kitchen. The overwhelming amount of the time, cops don't just burst in the front door and shoot everyone in sight because they "forgot to do the thing just right" before they get there.

Was this Sri Lankan-American man described as "white" in the initial caller's report and by the coroner? Yes.
Did Austin PD perceive Rajan Moonesinghe as "white" when they arrived? Questionable.
Did perception play a role in APD's decision to shoot? That's a question for the courts.
gfWyoAD.jpg

What does being brown have to do with it? Typical useless racist post by you.
<horrible screenshot from here>
Your cellphone screenshot of Statista doesn't tell the story you think it does...
Unless you were trying to point out that Asians (which includes Sri Lankan ancestry), who make up about 6% of the US population, are severely underrepresented in property crime arrest rates, while residents identified as "Black or African American", with a population prevalence of about double that (12.4%) are massively overrepresented in property crime arrest rates.

Obviously the problem is racist cops are systematically failing to pursue and arrest Asian burglars, and in the heat of the moment they erred in profiling this Sri Lankan tech millionaire.

When the police roll up, you DO NOT want to have a gun in your hand.

Some of the things I was taught include 1) giving a description of my self (race, age, clothing, etc) to the dispatcher.

If you are inside and the threat is outside, don’t go outside. Stay behind locked doors. If you roll up on your house and suspect there are burglars inside, don’t go inside. Don’t draw your gun and post up outside the house because the police may mistake you for a threat.

More questions than answers in the article (not surprisingly):
  1. Was someone actually in the house? Did Raj hit them? He said there was, but there's no mention of another person (ex. found on premises or fled) or of evidence there was (ex. blood on floor). For all we know Raj could have been hallucinating, wigged out on something.
  2. Did Raj call 911? He said he was going to, but I wonder if he did. My impression is they usually try to keep the person online until the police are there. Maybe he did but hung up.
  3. How did the security guard who did call 911 describe the situation? Did he identify Raj as the homeowner, or report it as some dud in a blue robe with a rifle creeping around the property? Together with #2 this would influence the police mindset.
  4. Did Raj sweep the police (accidentally?) when they showed up? The video I saw did not show (cut?) that exact moment. That might (big if) explain the police opening fire so quickly.
Regardless the above, based on the audio it sure seemed like the police were (too?) quick to open fire.
As with most events such as this, I await more data. [popcorn]

Was this Sri Lankan-American man described as "white" in the initial caller's report and by the coroner? Yes.
Did Austin PD perceive Rajan Moonesinghe as "white" when they arrived? Questionable.
Did perception play a role in APD's decision to shoot? That's a question for the courts.
gfWyoAD.jpg

Your cellphone screenshot of Statista doesn't tell the story you think it does...
Unless you were trying to point out that Asians (which includes Sri Lankan ancestry), who make up about 6% of the US population, are severely underrepresented in property crime arrest rates, while residents identified as "Black or African American", with a population prevalence of about double that (12.4%) are massively overrepresented in property crime arrest rates.

Obviously the problem is racist cops are systematically failing to pursue and arrest Asian burglars, and in the heat of the moment they erred in profiling this Sri Lankan tech millionaire.
Just pointing out that OP does nothing but post racist a classless bs most of the time. Wasn’t looking for a story with my screen shot but numbers don’t lie.

Just pointing out that OP does nothing but post racist a classless bs most of the time. Wasn’t looking for a story with my screen shot but numbers don’t lie.
How is race not an issue in this situation? Someone else called the cops and said homeowner was WHITE. Cop shows up and sees a dark skinned south Asian guy outside the house with a tricked out black ASSAULT WEAPON with HIGH capacity banana clips, military style optics and military style tricks on every rail shooting into the house. The millionaire techy was a retard for doing what he did but didn't deserve to get quad tapped by the officer's rifle. When you're a cop and you bark drop the weapon orders at someone who has a rifle at the low ready or pointing in an entire different direction, do you decide to execute him asap? I get the whole 'when you're answering a call, split second decisions etc.' but come on man. We'll have to wait for the axon body cam videos but that doesn't make this guy's family feel any better.

When the police roll up, you DO NOT want to have a gun in your hand.

Some of the things I was taught include 1) giving a description of my self (race, age, clothing, etc) to the dispatcher.

If you are inside and the threat is outside, don’t go outside. Stay behind locked doors. If you roll up on your house and suspect there are burglars inside, don’t go inside. Don’t draw your gun and post up outside the house because the police may mistake you for a threat.
Yep. if 24 taught me anything, Jack Bauer knows to drop his gun instantly, get on knees, cross legs and hands over head, when the NPCs roll in, whether local PD, SWAT, secret service or other feds.

If I heard noises outside, saw someone breaking into my truck or shed, or stealing anything, I'd call the police, and stay inside, far out of the way.

I pay whopping taxes to live where I do. It makes infinite sense to let the police deal with issues that don't put me in immediate danger.

The cost to defend a justifiable shoot is easily going to run 6 to 7 figures. George Zimmerman's completely justifiable shoot cost him well over a million.
There is no way in hell I'm going to risk shooting someone because they are stealing my lawnmower.

Yes, this is the logical, rational response in a non-castle doctrine state such as Massachusetts.
But damn man......we don't actually go out and admit this on a public message board!!!

"so anyway.....I start 'blastin" [mg]

How is race not an issue in this situation? Someone else called the cops and said homeowner was WHITE. Cop shows up and sees a dark skinned south Asian guy outside the house with a tricked out black ASSAULT WEAPON with HIGH capacity banana clips, military style optics and military style tricks on every rail shooting into the house. The millionaire techy was a retard for doing what he did but didn't deserve to get quad tapped by the officer's rifle. When you're a cop and you bark drop the weapon orders at someone who has a rifle at the low ready or pointing in an entire different direction, do you decide to execute him asap? I get the whole 'when you're answering a call, split second decisions etc.' but come on man. We'll have to wait for the axon body cam videos but that doesn't make this guy's family feel any better.
Ok, race is an issue…an overwhelmingly number of white people are subject to home invasion/crime than brown people. That means that they are overwhelmingly susceptible to being shot by the police when they show up..right?…a home invasion is a home invasion no matter what skin color. Unfortunetily you don’t see it that way because it’s always about the brown race to you. You are completely ignorant to the fact that more white ppl get shot by cops than brown. The world would be a better place without racists like you in it.

Ok, race is an issue…an overwhelmingly number of white people are subject to home invasion/crime than brown people. That means that they are overwhelmingly susceptible to being shot by the police when they show up..right?…a home invasion is a home invasion no matter what skin color. Unfortunetily you don’t see it that way because it’s always about the brown race to you. You are completely ignorant to the fact that more white ppl get shot by cops than brown. The world would be a better place without racists like you in it.
what-is-your-problem-zac.gif

I'd like to know more....to quote a crappy movie.

If he shot into his own home, was he maybe having a psychotic break? If that possibility is what took place, all bets are off. I didn't read the whole thing, it's a news article, rarely do they have all the facts sorted when they start typing.

I don't understand this NES response of, call the police and wait inside. The guy is outside his house pointing the gun IN, he shoots INTO his house, obviously something is going on inside. Maybe he should have ran down the street or to his neighbor (not with rifle in hand), but would YOU throw down your rifle into the grass and flee with your back to the threat inside your home? Does he live alone, does he have family in there?

Bad training for generations of law enforcement and the mentality of everyone from judges, prosecutors down to “come and take it” types on NES have us all Dick whipped.

In America people own and carry guns. Not only is it legal, it’s in our f***ing constitution! There is no excuse for a cop to be mag dumping on a dude for holding a gun absent other circumstances. Saying “PSGWSP” only perpetuates this BS.

“It is likely that Moonesinghe hadn't heard anything before being hit since bullets travel faster than the speed of sound.”
Ace reporting there. Any physicists wanna calculate how much time it took for sound to travel from the officer's car to the guy? That would mean the officer just opened his mouth to begin the D consonant in 'DROP' before he flipped the switch to auto and landed four shots.

I'd like to know more....to quote a crappy movie.

If he shot into his own home, was he maybe having a psychotic break? If that possibility is what took place, all bets are off. I didn't read the whole thing, it's a news article, rarely do they have all the facts sorted when they start typing.
to quote a little eco-twat, “How dare you.” That is one of the best crappy movies ever made!

1671737124703.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom