• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Milsurp prices

@BFDX7

Yugo mausers 24/48 etc (which i will never buy) 500

K98s, german origin shooters mitchell, and russian captures non matching 600-700

Mostly matching non russian captures 800 and up

All matching *sky is the limit

*the problem with buying matching is you would need a mauser stamping expert because luger and k98s stampings can be expertly forged it is hardly worth in my opinion to go for an all matching.

Holy crap! I’ll have to send that to my buddy who bought one about 3 years ago. Such a fun gun to shoot. I want to say he told me he paid $2500-$3000? Maybe more. I know it was far from cheap.
View attachment 363379

Yeah, those pregnant guppies aren't cheap anymore.

19740616%20SBA%20740224%20B-377-PG%20Pregnant%20Guppy%20N1024V%20left%20side%20l.jpg
pregnant-guppy-fish.jpg
WXOXjLn5XhnLKaewZJxiC5GmzhzuITgSJE8GYVW955X5doh2klSp08R5e6GO2dcKgS2w363gLej7nk1yF89j4--IZmEvBrlHfRUVeJ6niI1yJFTv3-bTf_uxz_WQV9YNNbmxSXs6RVW7A4kVTDYCh66Eb9ZIm1d-N4Zpb2mFz1rgv2QPPgbBMbnddWfIsxblFtS9YXg6VzpW_NIhWw2T_d_2h1Q

Somewhat odd looking rifle, but still cool. How did it shoot compared to a M1?

There must have been some creative nicknames for these.

How about the M98/48... good bad or luck of the draw.

With Classic, it's a roll of the dice. Assume it's one grade or more worse than advertised.

19740616%20SBA%20740224%20B-377-PG%20Pregnant%20Guppy%20N1024V%20left%20side%20l.jpg
pregnant-guppy-fish.jpg
WXOXjLn5XhnLKaewZJxiC5GmzhzuITgSJE8GYVW955X5doh2klSp08R5e6GO2dcKgS2w363gLej7nk1yF89j4--IZmEvBrlHfRUVeJ6niI1yJFTv3-bTf_uxz_WQV9YNNbmxSXs6RVW7A4kVTDYCh66Eb9ZIm1d-N4Zpb2mFz1rgv2QPPgbBMbnddWfIsxblFtS9YXg6VzpW_NIhWw2T_d_2h1Q

I thought it was very similar to a M1 (especially the recoil) due to the weight and gas system etc. It was plenty accurate too.

This is CT, but a shop near Foxwoods has a few rifles that might be of interest to NESers... prices seem reasonable.
m1903 Springfield $850
m1903 Rock Island $800
M1, Springfield (1945) Special Navy Match 7.62x51mm $1650
m1916 Berthier $225
m44 Mosin Nagant $250
Type 99 Arisaka w/mum $275
m1891/30 Mosin Nagant (Iz.1942) $375
Swiss K31 $400
I don't work here, but I was in this shop this afternoon recording the above.

Holy crap! I’ll have to send that to my buddy who bought one about 3 years ago. Such a fun gun to shoot. I want to say he told me he paid $2500-$3000? Maybe more. I know it was far from cheap.

Even 3 years ago $2.5-3K would have been cheap for one!

I thought it was very similar to a M1 (especially the recoil) due to the weight and gas system etc. It was plenty accurate too.

The NRA initially poo-pooed the M1 in favor of the Johnson because Army Ordnance avoided giving American Rifleman a M1 to review. The Army likely assumed that foreign countries would read American Rifleman for technical data on guns. American Rifleman's coverage of the M1 was heavily controlled by Army Ordnance until after the gas trap Garands left service and some M1s had already been captured by the Japanese in the Philippines and the Germans at Kasserine Pass:

U.S. Army Ordnance vs. NRA: The Battle Over the M1 Garand

This is CT, but a shop near Foxwoods has a few rifles that might be of interest to NESers... prices seem reasonable.
m1903 Springfield $850
m1903 Rock Island $800
M1, Springfield (1945) Special Navy Match 7.62x51mm $1650
m1916 Berthier $225
m44 Mosin Nagant $250
Type 99 Arisaka w/mum $275
m1891/30 Mosin Nagant (Iz.1942) $375
Swiss K31 $400

Does CT have PITA laws for selling long guns? I couldn't buy projectiles at Cabelas, so I'm thinking they might have to do a FFL transfer? Normally one could buy a long gun out of state then EFA10 once home.

Between CT permit holders, personal sales can be done by calling in for an authorization number.
For non-CT buyers, I believe only a transfer to an FFL is required; then your state rules apply to the sale.
Seems that Cabela's has an unlawful policy. There's no restriction or permit/certificate required to buy components (bullets, powder, primers, etc.). Ammunition, yes.

I think if I added something different to my milsurp's, probably would go for an Arisaka that has good shooting potential. I already have Mosin size projectiles so 7.7 stays within calibers I already have. Gramps was a Ssgt. in WWII Philippines and 'captured' one in battle. He brought it home, sporterized it for deer hunting, and proceeded to take a deer with it every season for decades. Still in the family.

m1916 Berthier $225

Can you report on the condition of any of the rifles? I'm interested in the Berthier.

I built up the last of my Webley collection about ten years ago. It took me about seven years, searching high and low, to find all the service marks, and still I wasn't able to get most of them in the original .455. That's the only way I was able to afford them, though the pricing gap between shaved and unshaved seems to be decreasing.

Have they appreciated in value? Sure. Am I going to have an easy time finding someone willing to buy all seven for more than what I paid? Nope. Some of the more esoteric guns seem to be pretty economy-proof; case in point, the Johnson.

Last visit to M&B; the m44 is gone and the K31 is pending. I wasn't really looking this visit, but the 1903s, Naval Match M1, Type 99 and Berthier were still there.
This shop gets a lot of estate deals, so you may find some unique hardware there. Many months back a shooter with a vast collection passed and M&B had over 100 rifles and shotguns available. Many oddities, but they are all gone now.
I'd suggest anyone that frequents Foxwoods, stop by next time in the area. Spend your money on something you can take home.
Again, I don't work here, but I do find some interesting things there quite often. Always worth a look.
Incidentally, the pawn shop at the green along RT2 (No. Stonington) also deals in fireams, but their selection isn't that vast. Can't say if their prices are worthwhile either. I did pass up a Model 8/81 in .35 Remington years back. Regret that. There is an Arisaka on the rack, but I'm not sure if it's a 6.5 or 7.7. East Coast does not keep their gun listing (website) current, so don't go by that.
Happy hunting.

Oh...one last pitch for M&B. There is an Inland M1 Carbine stock (with upper wood furniture) on the shelf. It looks like it's been lacquered (nice shiny finish), but it looked in good shape. Priced at $125, but may be negotiable.

FWIW, as of Thursday, 9 July, these rifles remain:

Springfield 1903 #914XXX $850
Mosin 91/30 1942 Iz. w/bayonet, all matching $375
Arisaka (Nagoya) Type 99 w/mum $275
Swiss K31 w/ sling and GP11 ammo (10 rounds) $400

Last edited:
Certainly the hardest stuff to price for sure, seems to be all over the map when I check completed auctions etc. Got in a handful of stuff that I'm working on now, what's the going rate for M1917's? Have one each Remington, Eddystone, and Winchester.

Also for reference had a couple non matching K98's in but they went pretty quick at 750(one more on Alist now), had many responses from all over the country asking to ship.

Certainly the hardest stuff to price for sure, seems to be all over the map when I check completed auctions etc. Got in a handful of stuff that I'm working on now, what's the going rate for M1917's? Have one each Remington, Eddystone, and Winchester.

That's like asking what the value of a Garand is or a 1903, it totally depends on a number of different factors. Brand is only one of them.

A R/C K98 can be had for $400 - $600 nowadays. They shoot great, and if you strip of the Russian stock varnish and the black dip on the metal it's 1944 again!

Moving back to OP's original question:

Currently milsurp prices are getting worse at auction. Check out last Amoskeag auction (March?). A 1903 in excellent original condition went for $17K if I recall correctly. :eek:

Prices overall were so high that if it wasn't a legit auction house I'd be tempted to call bullshit. Some went for typical high GB prices but I think the buyer pays a premium on top of that? There were a bunch of USGI 1911's going for ridiculously high prices- guess folks are flipping those CMP 1911's. Maybe a couple at reasonable prices but I'd guess there were issues. Seems like GB prices for 1903, a3, and M1's are holding or raising.

Trying to figure out how to get to a CMP store for a 1903a3 at a reasonable price. We have a plant near there and I'm overdue for a visit but my domestic travel for work has been banned for who knows how long.
When I went to cmp south in Nov. they didn't have any 1903a3. Didn't fill the 1903a3 spot until the RI auction. The 1903a3s went for 929 each (2 in the lot) and that included the buyers premium, shipping, and transfer because I was still waiting on my C&R. Not a bad deal, they are in pretty good shape and had full CMP docs. The RI auction, like any, can be good or bad depending on your luck and skill.

Back
Top Bottom