Mini-14 Tactical question

I apologize if this has been answered before, and I wasn't sure if I should post it here or under the rifles section, but I have a question about the mini-14 tactical (with the threaded barrel and flash suppressor).

What are my options in regards to stock replacements? From what I'm understanding the threaded barrel + suppressor are the two 'evil' features, so I wouldn't be able to get anything with a pistol grip, is this correct?

What, if any, are the options for pinning the threads, or welding the FS on?

I've also seen stuff out there like this which I'm assuming is technically not a PG? :
Archangel Precision Stock Ruger Mini 14 and Mini Thirty Black Polymer - AAMINI - 708279011894

I'm still pretty new to all of this, so I apologize for any ignorance.

I apologize if this has been answered before, and I wasn't sure if I should post it here or under the rifles section, but I have a question about the mini-14 tactical (with the threaded barrel and flash suppressor).

What are my options in regards to stock replacements? From what I'm understanding the threaded barrel + suppressor are the two 'evil' features, so I wouldn't be able to get anything with a pistol grip, is this correct?

What, if any, are the options for pinning the threads, or welding the FS on?

I've also seen stuff out there like this which I'm assuming is technically not a PG? :
Archangel Precision Stock Ruger Mini 14 and Mini Thirty Black Polymer - AAMINI - 708279011894

I'm still pretty new to all of this, so I apologize for any ignorance.

Just remove the flash suppressor and have a legit gunsmith pin a brake on for you if you're worried about those items. That removes both from play, but the pin can always be removed in the future if the law changes.

That being said, I thought Mini 14's were specifically named exempt under "the term assault weapon shall not include....Appendix A to 18 USC Section 922". The only catch is that they are noted "without folding stock". I'm assuming that the person who wrote that section of law was referring to the hunting stock style Mini-14's and not the newer tactical stocks. IANAL though, so take this second paragraph with a grain of salt.

Thank you for the info, I'll look into the brake pinning thing.

And yes, the law on this gun particularly is what has me confused.
It's the tactical model, but w/out the folding stock (pictured).
attachment.php

Thank you for the info, I'll look into the brake pinning thing.

And yes, the law on this gun particularly is what has me confused.
It's the tactical model, but w/out the folding stock (pictured).
attachment.php

Yes, I think that's the type of stock they had in mind with "not an assault weapon". However, if you pin a brake on the muzzle, that would theoretically free up a feature, so I don't see why you couldn't get a pistol grip stock, provided any telescoping or folding butt stock is permanently fixed to not move. I am fond of these ACR looking stocks:

stock_sparta.jpg

Again though, IANAL, so maybe others can weigh in on the legality of this situation keeping your mini14 as "not an assault weapon".

I'd keep it as is. I have the same model and contemplated the Sparta stock. For that money, you can get more mags, better sights, Wolf springs, etc. IMO, the Mini14 is not a gun worth heavily investing into.

I'd keep it as is. I have the same model and contemplated the Sparta stock. For that money, you can get more mags, better sights, Wolf springs, etc. IMO, the Mini14 is not a gun worth heavily investing into.

I kind of agree with that notion. I feel like a lot of the Mini14 options are just dressing up a pig. However, as an exercise of utilizing the law to the fullest extent with the "not an assault weapon", it is interesting to see how far one could theoretically make this into an tactically similar carbine to one of those evil AR's. Just kind of shows you how silly the numerated weapons list is to begin with if you can get the same net result with something that is "not assault weapon".

If this is all OP has to start with though and buying an pre-ban AR at MA's inflated prices is not an option, then Sparta would be one of the more functional, better looking Mini stocks. It is kind of pricey for plastic though.

Per the AWB your two evil features on a Mini14 would be a threaded barrel and the detachable magazine outside the grip. Adding the Archangel stock doesnt add a pistol grip, so no additional work would be needed.
@sschevy mind confirming if I've explained it proper?

I kind of agree with that notion. I feel like a lot of the Mini14 options are just dressing up a pig. However, as an exercise of utilizing the law to the fullest extent with the "not an assault weapon", it is interesting to see how far one could theoretically make this into an tactically similar carbine to one of those evil AR's. Just kind of shows you how silly the numerated weapons list is to begin with if you can get the same net result with something that is "not assault weapon".

If this is all OP has to start with though and buying an pre-ban AR at MA's inflated prices is not an option, then Sparta would be one of the more functional, better looking Mini stocks. It is kind of pricey for plastic though.

Honestly, this is it. I didn't want to break the bank, and I also want to pick up a CC pistol as well. I'll check around and do some review reading / watching on the stocks that are available and go from there.
I appreciate all of the replies from everyone.

The only issue I have with the Archangel is that I feel the end result is not that functionally different than OP's existing stock. You get some cheek and shoulder adjustments and a slightly more pistol-grip style in the grip angle, but not much else over what he already has. It almost looks like it would be better suited for a bolt action long range carbine.

If OP is going for more of a target rifle, then I suppose that's fine then to spend the extra money on the refined accuracy adjustments of the Archangel. If I were going to even bother with the work and price though, I'd go as far in another direction from what I already have as possible. I'd want the tactical features of the Sparta with the top rail, sling swivels, and pistol grip. I'd pin a brake to get the grip.

I'd still pay inflated prices for an AR. The mini14 mag situation is unacceptable. Plus, Im having trouble feeding hollow points since there are no feed ramps to pick up the shortened bullet. AR all the way.

Back
Top Bottom