• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Minimum .22 config needed for 50ft competition

I'm looking to buy my first handgun, most likely a new ruger mark3. i plan on joining a team and competing with it.

The cheapest one is about half steel/half polymer for about $275. Is this going to be a good starting point, or should I just spend the extra $100 or so and pony up for the all steel version.

also, do people regularly compete using just the sights, i went to a practice session and everyone seemed to have a red dot sight of some sort

My experience with Rugers is limited, so I'll let someone else deal with that question. I'll just point out about Rugers generally, however, that you see a lot of them on the line at bullseye matches everywhere, and some of them are being used by very good shooters who could afford to upgrade their equipment if they felt it was holding them back.

You can shoot bullseye with iron sights, and every now and again I see someone using them, but they're few and far between, and I think it's fair to say they require a higher level of skill to shoot well. You'll be much more competitive with a dot sight, but you don't need to get one of the high-end ones to get started.

Take look at this thread.

The Ruger is an excellent pistol for bullseye for the money. Try both the 22/45 and the traditional model. If you own a 1911 or plan to the 22/45 is a good approximation. However, the grips on the 22/45 are NOT replaceable. If you get serious and want anatomic grips you are SOL. The traditional grips are replaceable with aftermarket ones. The vast majority of people use red dots for bullseye. You can start with irons but you will more than likely go to a red dot.

BTW: I started shooting bullseye this fall. I've got a Ruger MkIII bull 5.5" barrel (blue) with an ancient Aimpoint 2000 that was handed down to me. I think Four Seasons has that gun for $319/309 and AG Guns has it for $280/288 (Cash/credit)

I'm shooting a full stainless 6 7/8" bull barrel MKIII in NRA bullseye, with a Tasco Propoint red dot. The gun will out shoot me all day long, on the rest, it will put a dime size hole in the paper with 20 rounds. For competition, go for the all steel frame, you will make adjustments over time. And skate board grip tape is great stuff.
I just ordered a Burris Fastfire, should drop about 5 ounces from the gun, I'll do a quick field review when it shows up.

Back
Top Bottom