• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Minishells- Who Carries Them?

Warrior1A

Army Veteran
NES Member
Anyone have any idea where I can pick up some 12 gauge Minishells? I just picked up a KSG today, and I've heard some great things about these things, so I'd like to try them out. Thanks much.

i bought a few boxes for kicks up in middleton but they were impossible to cycle in my mossberg 500. ive heard they work in other shotguns though. now i just use them in an old single shot when the girl comes shooting because of their super light recoil

Don't they jam in KSGs?

Usually anything like the wallyworld bulk pack stuff with the low brass/silver metal will stick on a lot of KSGs from what I've read. The problem seems to be that some of their barrels were subcontracted due to the super high demand and the chambers are rough so the shells fire-form and stick to the tool marks. A lot of people polish the bores with a shotgun brush that has fine steel wool wrapped around it and a power drill, and supposedly that cures a lot of the issues. My bore seems smooth, but I haven't had the time or weather to test the cheap ammo yet. I'm following this thread because I've never seen the mini shells for sale in any gun shop in western MA.

Btw, I think it really sucks that ANY pump shotgun has issues cycling cheap ammo - especially one that costs close to a grand!

Four Seasons in Woburn, MA has them.

^^this. saw 'em there yesterday
also collectible in merrimack NH typically has them.
they do cycle nicely in the KSG, this i can confirm. if i count correctly the KSG can hold either 20 or 22 of them total

- - - Updated - - -

Never got them to work in any of my Remington 870s.

^this also was my experience.
870 or mossberg 500 can fire them if loaded directly into chamber, but any time i've tried to actually cycle them then forget about it

They work flawlessly in my Winchester 1300 Defender, and they're great for teaching familiarization without the recoil trauma.

I've heard they're very unlikely to work in an 870 no matter what you do, but they can work in a 500 with some modifications.

They seem to feed in the remington 887 and utas, but the do seem to double feed or fip in alot of other shotguns constently

i bought a few boxes for kicks up in middleton but they were impossible to cycle in my mossberg 500. ive heard they work in other shotguns though. now i just use them in an old single shot when the girl comes shooting because of their super light recoil
Get an Opsol mini clip, then they'll work fine in any Mossy 500/590 SG.

Last edited:
The only pump shotgun tested & proven to work reliably with mini shells is the Mossberg 500/590 platform, with the OPsol adapter installed. $18 and 30 seconds to install.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqP818LWb0

Get an Opsol mini clip, then they'll work fine in any Mossy SG.

Interesting find. Thanks for posting.
Now, I just have to find some mini-shells to buy.

Interesting find. Thanks for posting.
Now, I just have to find some mini-shells to buy.
You're welcome. I have 2 Mossy 590's and both work flawlessly with the mini shells & adapter. Federal makes mini shells too, so there are other options besides the Aguila.
Fleabay, Midway, OP, etc. all carry the OPsol adapter.

Thank you. I have 2 Mossy 590's and both work flawlessly with the mini shells. Federal makes mini shells too, so there are other options besides the Aguila.

I dare say the Federals are actually quite a bit better than the Aguila. The #4 buck is outstanding.

StateLine in Plasitow stocks them, not sure if in stock right at this moment., but they had them last time i was there getting cleaning supplies. Paul

Afaik any semi-auto without an opsol device will be jamcity. I don’t see how it could cycle the mini shells in a receiver that is designed to hold at minimum a 2 3/4”shell. Does the KSG have a spring assist in the receiver to variably hold a minishell without taking in another minishell making 2 jammed behind the lifter? I tried in a few semi-autos with a dry fire test and that was a pretty bad jam to undo.

Afaik any semi-auto without an opsol device will be jamcity. I don’t see how it could cycle the mini shells in a receiver that is designed to hold at minimum a 2 3/4”shell. Does the KSG have a spring assist in the receiver to variably hold a minishell without taking in another minishell making 2 jammed behind the lifter? I tried in a few semi-autos with a dry fire test and that was a pretty bad jam to undo.
I've seen videos on YouTube of people firing them out of the KS7 & the KSG without any problems. And from everything I have read, there aren't any semi-auto shotguns that will feed mini shells. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
BTW- The KSG is heavy, around 11 lbs loaded, before you add an optic. That's a beast. The KS7 in my opinion, is a nice compromise between weight, balance & firepower.

Last edited:
Get an Opsol mini clip, then they'll work fine in any Mossy 500/590 SG.

Absolutely. That 12.00 item makes mini shells cyle in a Mossberg 590A1 all day.

They function flawlessy in a Mossberg 590A1, if you have the $12.00 insert/adapter, for the receiver.
Does this install in and out easy? I need one for my 590. I have lots of mini shells I bought for my over under and would like to try them in the 590.

Back
Top Bottom