Missing Pieces: More Than 350 Firearms Lost or Stolen From DC-Area Police Since 2011

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
GettyImages-518375904_1461277391860_1830434_ver1.0.jpg

More than 350 firearms have been lost or stolen from local and federal police agencies headquartered in the Washington, D.C., area since 2011, according to an investigation by the News4 I-Team.

In many cases, the firearms have not yet been recovered.

A compilation of police records obtained under the Freedom of Information Act reveals a series stolen or lost firearms at large and small police agencies. At least 35 of them were taken or lost from the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, D.C., since 2011. Twenty-eight others were lost or stolen from Prince George’s County Police. Ten were reported missing or stolen from Alexandria police, while eight were lost or stolen from Virginia State Police during the time period.

Read full story here: https://www.nbcwashington.com/inves...From-DC-Area-Police-Since-2011-459196943.html

I thought the gang members got extra street cred for snagging a cops guns/gear.
I'm actually surprised it's not more "lost" guns.
What is the penalty for anyone in the dept. For loosening a fire arm?

We need more laws and one should be that all guns be issued a gps. !!!!!!! Having more laws would keep these guns from being stolen and the gps would help them find their way back and they would not be lost. Someone should lose their job when this happens.

LMAO... only cops are trained well enough to carry firearms though.

No1 will lose anything over this. Just shuffle around some cops and put someone "new" in charge of the evidence room followed by alot of "nothing to see here".

LMAO... only cops are trained well enough to carry firearms though.

No1 will lose anything over this. Just shuffle around some cops and put someone "new" in charge of the evidence room followed by alot of "nothing to see here".

The article had nothing to do with weapons going missing from the evidence room. This is much worse. It is active duty LEOs losing or having their duty weapons stolen from official police vehicles or their own personal vehicles. Why departments or agencies allow LEOs to store their weapons in vehicles overnight is beyond me, especially in high crime locations like DC or Baltimore. It should be policy that these folks should have to remove their firearms from their vehicles on the overnight for safe storage and to reduce the temptation for a quick car smash and grab

That number is a bit too high to be written off as guns stolen.
I'm thinking there's a nice little side business going on.

"A review of reports from federal inspectors general shows federal agencies also lost guns by the dozens in recent years. An October 2017 report from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General said federal homeland security agents lost at least 228 firearms since 2014. “Personnel did not follow policy or used poor judgment when safeguarding these assets,” the report said. In a formal response to the report, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said it would offer additional training to staff to reduce the risk of future gun thefts or losses."...

That's nice. I wonder if all one of us would get is some "additional training" next time someone gets popped on a bogus improperly secured/stored charge here in MA....

The article had nothing to do with weapons going missing from the evidence room. This is much worse. It is active duty LEOs losing or having their duty weapons stolen from official police vehicles or their own personal vehicles. Why departments or agencies allow LEOs to store their weapons in vehicles overnight is beyond me, especially in high crime locations like DC or Baltimore. It should be policy that these folks should have to remove their firearms from their vehicles on the overnight for safe storage and to reduce the temptation for a quick car smash and grab
They are highly trained professionals. Don't tell them what to do, they can store their guns better than you can.

[sarcasm]

They are highly trained professionals. drug coupons Don't tell them what to do, they can store their guns better than you can.

[sarcasm]
i wonder, if you wouldn't have said [sarcasm] in the end, how many people would actually take it seriously? lol
and by the way... those people SHOULD indeed have been trained professionals, how's that even possible?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom