• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mk 12 mod 1 or a Recce build?

Debating either building a Mk12 mod 1, 18 inch barreled upper or a 16" Recce build.

I mean for super long distances i have my mauser and scar 17.

And i already have a windham regular uppper.

I am kinda enamoured with the Mk12 mod 1 but i am sure it is heavy as heck to use. I know it is old and dated. With todays Reccee rifles they can pretty much do all the Mk12 can do with a little less velocity. So what do you all suggest?

I am thinking BCM SS410 barrel for the 18" and prob the 16" will be the same, or the enhanced taper. Mostly want a very accurate barrel for use with a VLPO.

The MK12 mod 1 is nice, but heavy. Mine is fairly clone correct except for the lower receiver and weighs 10 pounds. It is very accurate, but I would not want to carry it around or use it in a competition. mk12.jpg

My BCM upper has the ss barrel, but I'm not sure it is necessary. I have a 16'' MOD H from PRI, that also has a ss barrel, and it shoots just as well as the 18''

Right now my interest lies in 16" carbines. But I sometimes think that when I finally know what I am doing that I would like to build an 18" barreled clone of the Mk12.

Random question:

If a 16" is a carbine and a 20" is a rifle, what is an 18" long gun properly called?

Right now my interest lies in 16" carbines. But I sometimes think that when I finally know what I am doing that I would like to build an 18" barreled clone of the Mk12.

Random question:

If a 16" is a carbine and a 20" is a rifle, what is an 18" long gun properly called?
Sniper..

Im not up on the latest tacticool barrel options, but I think 18 gets you a rifle length gas system, but shorter barrel than a full 20.
I dont, however know what the pros and cons are.

Random question:

Just average

Debating either building a Mk12 mod 1, 18 inch barreled upper or a 16" Recce build.

I mean for super long distances i have my mauser and scar 17.

And i already have a windham regular uppper.

I am kinda enamoured with the Mk12 mod 1 but i am sure it is heavy as heck to use. I know it is old and dated. With todays Reccee rifles they can pretty much do all the Mk12 can do with a little less velocity. So what do you all suggest?

I am thinking BCM SS410 barrel for the 18" and prob the 16" will be the same, or the enhanced taper. Mostly want a very accurate barrel for use with a VLPO.
I would go with the lightest stainless 16” barrel you can find, thencthe lightest full length rail ? Just for looks
I probably would have BUIS in the back of my mine but would set it ip with a compact 1x8 FFP ? Then set up a PBR for hits on a 10” targets then call it done.

i like stainless as all my stainless barrels areso much easier to clean. Maybe its because all my stainless barrels are of “better quality” than my non stainless comparables?

My 16" Faxon barrel has a mid length gas system
  • Barrel Material: 4150 GBQ Mil-Spec Steel
  • Barrel Type: Button Rifled, 5R Style
  • Barrel Caliber: 556 NATO
  • Barrel Twist: 1/7
  • Barrel Profile: Rainier Custom Medium
  • Barrel Gas System 16" : Mid
  • Inside Finish: Hard Chrome
  • Outside Finish: Mil-Spec Manganese Phosphate
  • 1/2-28 threaded muzzle
  • Gas Block Diameter: .750"
  • Gas Block Journal Length: 1.9”
  • Barrel Extension: M4
  • Magnetic Particle Inspected!
  • 11-degree Target Crown

• 1/2-28 threaded muzzle
  • 11-degree Target Crown
Nice load up some hot 77s and let it rip

Nice load up some hot 77s and let it rip

What bullets ? I tried some Hornady 72 or 77gr for my ar and after a couple bullets dropping down inside the case, realized there was no way I was going to achieve the max OAL with the heavier bullets.

What bullets ? I tried some Hornady 72 or 77gr for my ar and after a couple bullets dropping down inside the case, realized there was no way I was going to achieve the max OAL with the heavier bullets.
77 grain noslers, seated to max mag length and let them rip.ran hornady 75s for a while also.
2.26 COAL 24gn Varget, H4895, RL15 .......

So basically, you did a budget build and went with neither of the two rifles you mentioned...?

OP, nice choice. In 5.56, particularly with heavier bullets like 77gr, there is not a whole lot of velocity lost by going from 18 to 16. Mk12s are sexy, but the extra length is usually unnecessary.

So basically, you did a budget build and went with neither of the two rifles you mentioned...?
How did you come to that conclusion?

• 1/2-28 threaded muzzle
  • 11-degree Target Crown

That 1/7 twist will shoot better with 69 grain or heavier projectile. Don't be surprised of your usual 55's have terrible accuracy.

Enjoy!

I have a full 1000 round case of 62gr green tips. That will suffice for now. I would love to get black tip but they they are pretty expensive

I have a full 1000 round case of 62gr green tips. That will suffice for now. I would love to get black tip but they they are pretty expensive

In performance/dollar for an SPR, I highly recommend Magtech 77gr SMK. They’ve been out of stock at targetsports for a little while, but they’re about $0.55 per round and are ~1MOA capable. Not to mention the nice wind bucking and terminal ballistics.

yeh i would love to get some 77gr rounds. it is just so expensive lol
if accuracy is not a high priority then the M855 is fine. If your looking for accuracy your actually wasting money shooting M855.
Not 77gns but more than capable of MOA and right now priced well

Try some hot 55 grain or lighter projectiles for sh!ts and giggles. They'll probably go 'poof' around 50 yards give or take. That 1/7 barrel is designed to stabilize the heavier projectiles. Found this out by surprise- some 55's were missing the target, key-holing if they hit, or just flying apart before hitting the target.

Back
Top Bottom