• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mklll Ruger project

I just completed a "project" for a friend who was having issues on his new to him Mklll 22/45 with non removable grip panels. The pins kept working their way out and it had multiple other fitting issues. The previous owner had installed a VQ kit in it and used the wrong sear spring and re assembled it incorrectly. Thanks to Ruger CS I had the correct spring in hand in no time. It only took a little work and is now set up with the pins in from the right directions and the right spring to hold those pins in place. I had to polish the pins and clean up a boogered hole on the thumb safety for fit. This should take care of his main issues.
While I had it apart I did the LCI tab delete and removed the mag safety (with permission of course) adding in a tight fitting aftermarket hammer bushing I had on hand. Total cost to him was "No Charge". It was a fun challenge to get it working. Despite my insisting that it was no charge he said he owes me a couple beers at the local Micro Brewery. Okay if you insist....
I seriously think the previous owner never gotten this pistol running right and sold it as is. I also think that they may have never shot it prior to installing the VQ parts because the remaining stock parts were hardly showing wear and is definitely not broken in.
My friend said he will be heading out to the range this weekend to give it a try. I'm looking forward to the feed back.

Some people have mechanical skills and some don't. The trick is to know the difference before you put the tools to the work-piece.
Luckily you were able to fix it; while the original owner only bitched it up. Good On You!
Enjoy the beer, you've earned it...

I heard back from him with a "Range Report"... He said it ran flawlessly with HV ammo as expected. He attempted to put a few rounds of Winchester bulk SV ammo through it. That didn't go so well. I told him to stick to CCI MinniMags for 3~4 hundred more rounds before trying the cheap stuff again. This is his first MK series pistol and he is now very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom