• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Model 60 unobtanium?

Was talking with a buddy and we were discussing rimfires. I had mentioned that the Marlin Model 60 has always fit me really well and they carry really nice.....which made me wonder why the hell I don't have one? I have a few 10/22's in various configurations but I've always really liked the Model 60.

Thats it, I'll go out tomorrow and buy one. Nope. I swear I've seen these on the shelf of every gun store, wal mart, bait and tackle shops, EVERYWHERE, until I try to buy one. Who'd a thunk the lowly Marlin 60 would be hard to find?

I hold this theory that way more people are sitting on vast quantities of 22 than any other caliber. I see tons of rimfire on the ground at the range now, it was the last thing available in this latest ammo buying frenzy. Good 22 firearms are hot right now.

I will trade you my modle 60 for some 9 mill ammo 👍full disclosure- I havnt shot it in years and I think I remember it having a problem ejecting the shell once in a while

I have a closet full of older 22s and older model 60s even under different names, like western auto, revolution , ted williams, just to name a few.
I also have a ton of parts for model 60s.
The model 60 fits especially older ones as they are closer to “full size” than a 10/22 which ruger designed to be a kinda fit all platform.
I feel all crunched up shouldering a stock 10/22.

I have a closet full of older 22s and older model 60s even under different names, like western auto, revolution , ted williams, just to name a few.
I also have a ton of parts for model 60s.
The model 60 fits especially older ones as they are closer to “full size” than a 10/22 which ruger designed to be a kinda fit all platform.
I feel all crunched up shouldering a stock 10/22.

Im the same way. As much as I like the 60, i just never got around to getting one? I'm not a huge rimfire guy so thats probably a big reason of it. .22lr is probably my least fired round, but lately been having fun with them.

Not connected with Four Seasons but they have this advertised in the used guns section:

MarlinGLENFIELD 60.22LR24557xxx
$199.95​
SCOPE

Dear mac1911, I am trying to be helpful here. I think you meant the Western Auto brand "Revelation" not 'revolution'. I have one of their cleaning kits with that name. I always thought it an odd choice and, as far as I know, is the only firearm brand name that is the same as a book of the Bible.

I picked up one a few years back from Dick's, because some family members thought a few Dick's Gift Cards would make nice Christmas gifts for the family "Gun Nut"...

Nice 'free' gun though. Mine is redish like this one...

1598912570945.png

I had to go look at mine and it had the squirrels embassed on it ! I don’t think I ever noticed it before

Dear mac1911, I am trying to be helpful here. I think you meant the Western Auto brand "Revelation" not 'revolution'. I have one of their cleaning kits with that name. I always thought it an odd choice and, as far as I know, is the only firearm brand name that is the same as a book of the Bible.
Correct, fat thumbs, small phone and aging eyes..
I have more 22s than I know what to do with.

Last edited:
I've been shooting the model 60 alot. I have a stainless one with a wood stock. Out of the box I think it's more accurate than my 10/22. And with it being tube fed it's really keeps ammo consumption down. I have 22stacked pretty high. But I don't want to blow through too much of anything right now.

Heres another, this one shoots well dispite the shitty trigger, this one is 4lbs or so but feels like shit.
I still need a new trigger guard assembly for this one. I just cant get myself to spend any money on it.
The scope did not fit the looks of the rifle and is back on the AR 22lr.
Shot decent with CCI SV touch over 1” at 50 yards
953C960A-F540-4FA4-ABC0-B43F373F3808.jpeg

I will trade you my modle 60 for some 9 mill ammo 👍full disclosure- I havnt shot it in years and I think I remember it having a problem ejecting the shell once in a while
Lol. That sounds like a hell of a lot of .22 rimfires once in a while...

Model 60 unobtanium?
Check the Classifieds here on NES from time to time.

I've noticed that sometimes, when a thread about a particular firearm is posted, a few show up in the Classifieds...

I inherited a 1972 model 60. I always wanted one but ended up buying a rem 597 and a stainless backpacker 10/22. My uncle moved and gave the model 60 to me. The smooth stock with no magazine is nice to carry. If you can, find an older jm model.

I had a Marlin 60 back in the 80's, I didn't really care for it all that much.
For the most part it functioned OK, while it was clean, but it seemed to get dirty and gummed-up pretty quick.
For some odd reason the spring guide rod kept getting bent, I remember always having to straighten it out whenever I took the gun apart for cleaning.

I had a Marlin 60 back in the 80's, I didn't really care for it all that much.
For the most part it functioned OK, while it was clean, but it seemed to get dirty and gummed-up pretty quick.
For some odd reason the spring guide rod kept getting bent, I remember always having to straighten it out whenever I took the gun apart for cleaning.
Thats how I ended up with a few model 60s.
What I found out real quick and my dad drilled this into our heads.
You only apply oil to prevent rust. 22lr do not need to be “lubed” . Brother and I shot alot of 22lr and basically would shoot one until it jams and grab another. After thanksgiving we would clean them all.
Easy 2500 rounds for most. The remington 552 can almost go for ever.
To much oil or lube collects all the 22 fouling. Todays good ammo is much cleaner , unless its remingturds

Back
Top Bottom